Aaron Hernandez Dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ouimetnick, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

They found the guy hanging in his cell early this morning. Not much else to say except at least we don't have to pay for him for life.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...MNVJ/story.html?p1=BGHeader_SmartBar_Breaking

2. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Suicide is the coward's way out, but I'd rather be dead than in prison my whole life.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Shocking. I haven't really followed anything since they locked him up but this was the first thing I saw when I walked into work this morning. I guess I was just taken aback because he's the spitting image of my neighbor growing up...

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's unfortunate. That guy had some serious demons. I guess he finally realized everything he gave up because he wanted to "be about that life".

I'm guessing you don't go to ESPN very much. Seems like every other month they were running a story about him and his trial. I felt like it was a disproportionate amount of coverage for a guy who was less likely to play another down of football than I am.

If there's any silver lining here, it's that we won't be seeing any more stories about him after a week or so.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Didn't he just get off on the other murder trial? Seems odd to kill himself now.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL, when I said it was the first thing I saw at work this morning it's because I work in ESPN. I just don't give two licks about sports or any of it's tangential stories so I haven't paid attention to this at all since he got locked up.

Thanks for the laugh though :p

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Life truly is unfair. :D

Seriously though, that's pretty awesome! I can actually understand that, I'm guessing that's probably more common than most people think.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He got off but he was still sentenced to life in prison for the other killing. Good riddance.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pretty much the entire IT division here is pretty much the same way. BREAKING NEWS: The nerds don't care about sports!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    Life in prison with no possibility of parole, which would explain a lot.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That's just what I was thinking. I'm not going to pretend to understand his state of mind but him killing himself isn't surprising.

Given what elite tight ends are paid today, he'd probably be earning $10 million a year on a five year contract. $50 million, at least half of which would have been guranteed. And he gave all of that away because he wanted to act like Scarface.

It said that he cried after his acquittal and blew a kiss to his daughter. Maybe when he got back to his cell it sunk in that nothing was going to change. He still wouldn't be there for any of his daughters life events. He was acquitted for murder but he was still a murderer.

I don't feel sorry for him but I can imagine the type of hell he had placed himself in.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Which begs the question, why wait til after this latest verdict?

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Who knows? I'm just glad this tax burden is gone.

Next!

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

My guess is that it literally just dawned on him that this latest trial did not matter at all.

Win or lose, he's doing life without parole. Nothing he does or doesn't do now or in the future matters. Nihilism sets in and then comes the suicidal thoughts.

Just speculation, but that's my guess.

14. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I believe this played a part in him committing suicide. I think the feeling of vindication he got from that trial was quickly evaporated when he realized he still had to spend the rest of his life in prison. I think it was at that time that it really hit him and he decided to hang himself.

Personally I feel no empathy for him, he had a big ego on and off the field and in fact decided to join a gang once he was in prison (bloods, tattoo on his neck). One less person we have to pay for in prison.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Never heard of him until now but his death seems a cause for celebration around here and on social media.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The dude was in trouble in high school and then joined the thugs in college at Florida.

From what I gather his whole family was the same.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don't know anymore. It their life.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Man, this guy had everything...a good career, good looks, a nice house, money..and he threw it all away. What a sad sad ending to a sad sad man.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Because that probably triggered it. The impossibility to change the situation, and nothing else to look forward to. He probably believed, in a twisted way, that being acquitted would've saved his honor or something so he could still look forward to something. Once that last hurdle was over, he had absolutely nothing except his cell.

21. Zenithal macrumors 603

Kid had a troubled past spanning a decade plus. I remember his crimes being mentioned when he first got drafted. On a more amusing anecdote, I was reading into some old time candy the other day and apparently the 2013 murder was linked to a purchase of gum near the scene of the crime or something of that nature.

22. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Man, in lockup you gotta do that just to survive.

I'm an expert on this because I watched about one and half seasons of Orange is the New Black.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Ironically, according to MA law (which is where he was tried), he is not innocent of all accused crimes. Even the murder he was found guilty of two years ago. Not just MA, a bunch of older states still have the common law principle of abatement ab initio.

Basically, the conviction isn't final until all rights of appeals have been exhausted. If you die for any reason before the conviction is final, there is no reason finish, so the case automatically reverts back to how it started. As in most cases, it reverts back to the person being innocent. For all legal intents and purposes, Aaron Hernandez is an innocent (dead) man.

Now we all know he's not actually innocent, but his legal status as innocent presents an interesting pickle. Should the families of his victims try to sue his estate for civil damages, they will not be able to use anything said or presented during his criminal case.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Which is why his agent and lawyer are claiming it is not a suicide.

In any case he wasted a life that could have been great, but he just couldn't leave his homies behind. While the Patriots, whether you hate them or not, are willing to take on head cases and have made a few of them straighten up, his living so close to where he grew up and his crowd was probably a mistake. He needed to be away from them.

25. mollyc macrumors 65816

I saw his family is donating his brain to science. Of course injuries would not excuse his behavior but they could explain it. I would not be surprised if he had substantial injury found.