Aaron Hernandez found guilty of First Degree Murder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Apr 15, 2015.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Such a shame to see a person with everything in the world just throw it all away.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No surprise here. From everything I have heard from people that knew of the Hernandez family they are all dirty.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He still has 2 more murder charges against him.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seems the NFL has plenty of worthless thugs in their ranks.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And one of them is the commissioner.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Very unfortunate. Had everything going for him as a football player, part of a deadly TE combo with Gronk only to throw it away for something dumb. And he still has two other charges of murder - one being over a spilled drink in a club? Really? :mad:

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sounds like this verdict gets him life in prison without the possibility of parole with an automatic appeal.

I don't think he will see the light of freedom anytime soon, especially with the other cases pending against him.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The guy was bad news long before he joined the Patriots. He was in gangs back in high school and his college career at Florida was really the tipping point.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's what I've read too. But damn. Ok, I get being like that in college, there are unknowns, you don't know what's going to happen and if you're going to make the NFL. Gets drafted by the Patriots. You might still have that mentality but now you're thinking ok, this could be me with a better life. You become a star TE you would think you would get over that criminal life. Maybe not all of it but enough that you wouldn't want to kill someone. It's sad that he's likely going to be in prison his whole life.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As someone who is not from the US, I have just been reading a little about this, and your posts have made me a little curious.

Are you of the opinion that he 'was always bad', or that the considerable success he enjoyed professionally enabled him to think he could behave in such a way with utter impunity?

12. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The National Felon League continues to deliver.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His whole family was involved in some seedy things. A lot of drugs. He isn't the first member of his family to be in trouble with the law. The guy has always been a thug. That is the only life he knows.

14. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I tend to be critical of the NFL for their treatment of other issues, but the Patriots and the NFL handled this incident perfectly. He was off the Patriots within 48 hours (even less IIRC) and the team offered to replace the Hernandez jerseys they sold.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The league investigates everything and they didn't know about his past? I find that hard to believe. They only jumped ship on him after the publicity got bad. He never should have been in the NFL to begin with.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Did he have a record before being drafted? Was he convicted of anything?

17. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You don't like what happened in 2012? Fine. In 2014, the NFL handled this situation perfectly.

----------

You can't defend the NFL. Everything they have ever done is fundamentally wrong.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I believe there was something when he was at Florida. But to be fair the whole team was something.

19. iLog.Genius, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

From what I have read, during his days at the University of Florida, you would not consider Aaron Hernandez the most upstanding person. My opinion is that given his status as a star NFL player, it's unfortunate that he had to resort back to violence when he had everything going for him - his star power should have at least helped him distance himself from that lifestyle. I don't expect someone who has likely spent years in that type of culture to totally abandon it, but enough to stay away from doing something serious/drastic such as murder.

What did we know about his past? Drugs? Burglary? Vandalism? Maybe he was involved in those things but as any person not jumping to any conclusions and in a country of opportunity, you want to think that being in the NFL would help this individual - I would say most of these college athletes aim to make the NFL to help them.

As for the previous murder charges, that was only found during this investigation, I don't think anyone had any idea Aaron Hernandez was involved in those previous murders. The NFL can be criticized for many things but I believe they handled this appropriately.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

His life as a rap music manager is just starting.

21. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Ha ha. You used rap and music in the same sentence. :)

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Guy is a complete psychopath. Shoots people who look at him the wrong way or if they divide the tip in a way he doesn't like, or if someone spills his drink.

Just has no place in civilized society.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

At least he wasn't smoking pot. That would really make the NFL angry.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

Never heard of this person.

He looks like a mentaly disturbed cro-magnon.

25. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

Or texting during a game, or wearing the wrong socks. Because we have to watch out for the INTEGRITY OF THE GAME!