AARP spamming me early!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Oct 21, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am "forty-something" with my birthday just around the corner, but not 50 which is what the California AARP lists as their age for membership. My wife passed that threshold recently and gets their stuff, offers, airline discounts, coupons, etc. with "her" name on it.

But here I am, approaching a birthday not quite 50, and they send me a birthday card. But I still cannot join until I am 50, so WTF? It certainly didn't make my birthday and admittedly, I do have to buy three boxes of 16 birthday candles at the local bakery to make enough of them to be accurate on a cake. And if I have a cake and I have to sit there and light these tiny candles, by the time I reach my age, the first candle is burned down to the nub. Actually this happened ten years ago.

But I have a "few" years left before I am 50, and AARP should save the trees and not be sending me their junk mail just yet. :)

So for you fellow old geezers out there not quite seniors, what do you think?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm 41, but I'll never be a geezer. No AARP yet.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Are you in California?, because in a few years, let's say 45-48, they will be sending you their stuff, but you can't partake, from what I have read, until you are 50.

Anyway, I thought the legal definition of senior citizen was 55, but it's 50, so fine. But geezer is the word I think of when I hear the term senior citizen.

I look up my generation from the Statistical Abstract of the United States of America, and people born around the time when I did are expected to live to 66.7, so I can start to see why maybe 50, as opposed to 55, is considered a senior citizen. It would be cruel to finally reach senior citizenhood at "65" and then kick the bucket 1.7 years later...some raw deal for the golden years!

I look at my high school's website of mid to late forty something people from the years I attended, but nearly 90% percent are still alive. Yes, some did die of diabetes, strokes, and heart attacks, things usually associated with older folk. A few people younger than me look 60, or at least possible replacements for the Rolling Stones.

Then I look at my wife's website from Queens NY, and she has passed the 50 mark a few years back, and a full third of her class are deceased.

Then we look at my neighbor's high school class website. My neighbor is 82 and she graduated in a large urban class in Washington state of around 100 people and 92 are confirmed deceased. It's all kind of depressing when you look at the facts but feel like you can live to 100.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I look at AARP, and CARP (our equivalent), as a means to tap a demographic for sales of some type. They throw you a few bones as an incentive to "join".

So, they hit you younger and younger.

It's 55 up here. Less greedy, I guess.

EDIT: Nope, same 50 here. Sorry.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Do they have an opt-out option? If not, it's a shame. All those trees wasted sending junk mail to young people, surely AARP could think of a better use.

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

LMAO

freakin' brilliant

...But honestly, I am not "young" either being that I am biologically past my halfway point, probably quite a bit past my halfway point unless I reach an age where I have to be spoonfed.

I was a KISS fan back in the days of their first incarnation as a band wearing full black and white face makeup (their first year and a half they only dressed up like their friends, the New York Dolls). And I have considered a KISS coffin as they actually sell those things to die hard KISS fans.

My original guitar teacher, ironically also a KISS fan, bought a KISS electric guitar, and he has it in his will (when he gets around to it), to be buried with it when he dies.

Ronnie Van Zandt was buried wearing a Neil Young t-shirt. I have also considered this attire at my death. Anyway, no freakin tux for me. :)

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Quitcher bitchin'. I get AARP stuff because I am old enough. :D

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

But I am only a pre-geezer. Not the real thing yet. I am not fully realized and I am only like a freakin' half boner or a christmas tree without an ornament. Or white beard, but with a few dark hairs holding on for life, etc...

When I become 50 for real, then I won't mind their junk mail. Some offers they have are really good though. That magazine makes it sound like you have reached full humanhood at the magic age of 50. :)

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

They do screw up sometime. My brother got a card from AARP once (I don't exactly remember what for) and he turned 6 this last July. OOPS! :D

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope, Chicago. It's in my location spot next to my av. ;)

12. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I keep my location extremely general narrowed down to a region of 12 million people, as do my age within a couple thousand days, actual job location within the size of delaware, and yes, social security number and mother's maiden name. :)

Under my past moniker, when I started the political threads with a "conservative" friend of mine also on MR, our back and forth ended up getting some of his "conservative" supporters writing me angry email/PMs so I changed my moniker here eventually. Of course, I will admit blame to causing half of the political flamewars here in 2001-2002 representing the "liberal" side. It started with about two conservatives and maybe five or six liberals within a couple of months and now there seem to be about three dozen regulars posting in this hot topic/button section. I was one of those stereotypical angry liberals but certainly not the most angry among the MR community. Some of those posters have been banned. :)

Sometimes I will do a google search on a specific political topic and MR will show up in the first 40 hits! I guess we have arrived.

For obvious reasons, from January 1993 to January 2001, I was not an angry American. In two weeks, I will see if I have to be angry for the next four years. :)

13. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Take it from a 55 pluser... they don't go away. They don't stop spaming you after you turn 50 and don't sign up.

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Some of those deals sound good. But I know some of them are come-ons. But they can't be 100% percent bad? Or are they. Well, the next time I get more mail from them, I will see what they can offer me.

The only "club" I belong to, outside of work related memberships, is AAA and they have been good to me so far, especially when my "senior citizen in the making's" mind/brain locks me keys in da car.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I tend to address such harassment directly. ;) Being a minority, you learn very quickly how to deal with such things in a manner that makes it clear it won't be tolerated. Lawyers, while mostly scum, can be a great asset if you find the right one whose ethics remain intact.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

17. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

You mean "CARP" like the things that end up swimming belly-up in the garden pond? Doesn't sound like a club I'd like to be a member of.

<insert Groucho Marx proverb here>

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Were you speaking to me or the OP?

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I don't think he was speaking to me, but if he was my answer is 50. It takes 50 years to be able to be eligible to join AARP in California, and from what I have heard here on this thread, in Canada, too, but I don't know if that's the whole country or just the Province the person who posted is from.

Anyway, when I was a teenager, I thought a person who was 30 was wrinkled and ancient, and 40 was a person I could not possibly relate to. Age 50 was just plain old, period, and represented the world war II big band generation before television.

In an almost surreal fashion, I find myself reaching the doorstep of just "plain old".

And when Blythe Danner and Emmylou Harris look "hot" to me, I guess I can count myself as at least "older" than most. :)

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

To you, lee. Musta taken you a long time to find a lawyer with ethics.