AASP - Replace iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kolax, Oct 15, 2013.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Can AASP's replace iPhones? Or are they only able to repair them?

My lock button rarely works, and I'd rather avoid a train trip to the nearest Apple Store a city away and use my nearby AASP. As far as I'm aware, Apple doesn't bother trying to fix faulty lock buttons?

2. boobie12 macrumors 6502

If your under warranty and have a faulty lock button they'll just give you a new one. (Apple that is) happened to me earlier this year.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I'm not asking if Apple will, I'm asking if AASP's will..

4. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    If the unit fails tests, and the visual inspection, and the unit is still within warranty, then yes, it'll be replaced for you, but..........

They'll have to order the replacement from Apple, then run tests, etc, and then replace it, so you could be without a phone for a day or so, or bring it back when they get the replacement in.

You'll have to make sure that Find my iPhone is off an deactivated as well (if running iOS7), as they can't proceed with the 'repair'.

5. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Why not just do a courier exchange with Apple? It will probably be less hassle than using the AASP.

6. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Well the three options I have with Apple are:

1. They send me a new iPhone, but take a hold on my credit card and charge me postage. I mail back my iPhone for free.
    2. They send a courier out to collect my iPhone, inspect and send a replacement. I'd be phoneless for up to a week.
    3. I go to the Apple Store and get it swapped there and then.

Option 3 is the one I want, but instead of travelling to another city to get to an Apple Store, I was wondering if AASP's within my own city would be able to replace it.

7. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I understand the way Godzirra has posted to be correct if your local AASP does do replacements, (you'll need to phone and ask the individual AASP).

You would be without a phone the AASP route as well, they don't hold replacement stock and would need to order it in (if they do replacements).

8. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

But surely if they order in a replacement, I can keep using my iPhone till it arrives?

9. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You'd have to drop your phone in to be "checked" (a day or 2, most likely) and then you could return for it and go back again to do the exchange.

The way it's done is up to the individual business, as I said, the only way you will get accurate information about a specific AASP is by phoning them directly and asking what their policy is.

10. alFR macrumors 68020

It'll cost you more in time and bus/train fares / petrol to go to the AASP or the Glasgow Apple Store than it would to pay the postage to send your phone back (Special Delivery for a 550g parcel insured for up to £1000 is £9.25). Assuming you have a credit card with a large enough limit / spare capacity, just do option 1 and be done with it.

Edit: sorry, I notice you have to pay for them to send the new phone to you rather than to send your one back. My comments still stand. :)

11. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You could also wait another few months for the repair, it seems Edinburgh are getting an Apple Store before the end of the year.

http://www.applebitch.com/2013/08/0...red-new-edinburgh-princes-street-apple-store/

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah I have emailed them to find out, awaiting a reply.

I may just have to make a trip to Glasgow - the train is around the same price as postage (off peak on a Saturday).

If the lock button on the replacement fails again in the 3 month warranty, hopefully there'll be a store in Edinburgh by then ;-)

My warranty runs out in November unfortunately.

13. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

If you are under warranty, let Apple (or the warranty provider) fix it, if you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, buy an inexpensive toolkit and watch youtube videos on how to do it. If you have money to burn, pay someone else to do it. :)

If I can replace buttons on my iPhone 4S, anyone can do it... I'm not steady-handed, but I was able to do it with no problems. I've heard that the iPhone 5 is easier to work on, but can't confirm that.

14. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Best advice I've ever heard on this forum yet..

The lock buttons are not easily fixable, or fixable at all. That's why Apple just replaces the phone.

15. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I've personally replaced the lock button on a 4S, not sure if it is possible on the newer models.