Abandoned Macs in Detroit Schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MBP13, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MBP13, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

If this isn't disheartening then I don't know what is. This is just another fine example of corruption and waste inside of the Detroit Public School System.

These are worth MONEY!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/6457001949/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/6457006023/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/6455645597/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/6525812233/in/photostream

PC equipment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/6525818299/in/photostream
    What do you think of all this? And DPS wonders why they're so screwed? They leave computers worth thousands of dollars behind when they abandon a school!

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Poor things. Someone should give them a home.

3. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I'd be surprised if they aren't already taken by scrappers and vandals. It's amazing that a school district that is alloted more tax money per student than any other district in the US can just waste valuable stuff like this. And they wonder why the district is so poor?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They're just laptops, not abandoned puppies.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iBooks at that...

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's all jump to conclusions about a few pics on the Internet. I'm sure these were old, non-working computers or someone would have taken them.

7. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

The real question is......Why would anyone waste tax dollars to buy Detroit kids iBooks? I mean really? Were they supposed to use them for something other than Facebook?

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

[​IMG]

What you mean these book things ain't working? :p

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

iBook G4s? They're basically paperweights. Their most useful purpose is for recycling to make into new things.

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Our central office is constantly getting old iMacs, eMacs PowerMacs, iBooks, and older MacBooks from the elementary schools. I'm trying to get them to sell me an iBook, but I think they don't have any left. The admin lady I talked to said she would see what she could do with getting an iBook or an older MacBook, but I've seen the room where they have all the older computers (In 5th grade, they stored a bunch of iMac G3s in the boy's showers in the locker room! IT WAS SO TEMPTING TO JUST TAKE ONE AND LEAVE)

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't know why the schools waste money to give kids laptops anyways. Make the parents pay for the **** or they can use the computer lab. I never once needed a laptop in a course even in college, in fact many professors restrict them.

Detroit is like a garbage bin someone forgot to empty.

12. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For the heck of it did you try to see if one of the macbooks was working? I might have tried that if I was there.

14. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Its so devastating to see all of this (and other valuable, useful items) go to waste. There are so many poor children all over the world who could benefit so much from this abandoned technology! Someone should start a charity that recovers and redistributes forgotten tech!

15. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

This IS the computer lab probably. Laptops in carts get moved to the classroom their needed in. These are old computers that have been retired apparently. My middle school (just last year when I was there) has a cart with 32 iBooks like these, and a cart with 32 MacBooks from 2008. Both "worked". Now the high school bio-med department has a cart with MacBook Pros and a cart with iPads, among 2 other carts for the rest of the building. All are used on a daily basis. S much of our school relies on them nowadays.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The US education system has its hands full just teaching the basics, i don't think charging taxpayers for ipads is a great way to innovate. If they cart the laptops around to replace having a stationary computer lab that's one thing, if they are given out its quite another.

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

It's a higher cost up front, but iPads do allow savings over the long run via cheaper distribution of textbooks. There are some cost benefits.

18. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I didn't photograph these computers, so I have no way of knowing if they worked or not. :(

19. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I think the more pressing matter is the state of those abandoned classrooms. Does anyone have the story on that school? Looks kinda creepy dontcha think, kinda like a doomsday movie..

20. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Even if many didn't work (doubtful that all or even most are non-functional), how hard do you think it is to gut and fix the Macbook? Yes, those were Macbooks. Someone pointed out the iSight. Looks like the Macbook my wife uses that still works great from '08.

I'm sure whoever snapped the pic took those Macbooks. After all, you see another pic of the same cart emptied.

I'm going to start going into some of these abandoned schools. Need to borrow a gun first haha.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get out of here, Stalker!

22. Fazzy macrumors 6502

huh?

23. kolax macrumors G3