ABC News: Ted Olson representing Apple in case v. FBI

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Feb 21, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This is pretty impressive. Ted Olson is a former US Solicitor General. His wife Barbara was among those on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11. link here

Excerpt:

A former U.S. Solicitor General now representing Apple defended the company’s decision to refuse to comply with the FBI’s request to unlock an iPhone left behind by one of the shooters in the San Bernardino terror attack.

Apple "can't surrender our civil liberties," Ted Olson said in an interview Sunday on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos,” maintaining "the law does not require Apple to do what the FBI is asking so far."

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This is getting more and more intriguing.

3. LizKat, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well Olson's take on how far the 1789 All Writs Act can be stretched, even expressed informally to a news outlet, seems more compelling than some sound bite or set speech offered up by the average Congressman or for that matter any appointed law enforcement agency head such as the FBI's James Comey.

Ted Olson is a guy who has argued before the Supreme Court in some milestone cases, not least resolving the 2000 presidential election in Bush v Gore, and in the overturn of California's Proposition 8, in 2013.

The Bush vs. Gore decision handed the presidency to Bush over then-Vice President Al Gore by putting an end to ballot recounts of Florida’s disputed election results.

Olson, 75, a Republican, had unexpectedly teamed up with David Boies, a Democrat and his opposing counsel in the Bush vs. Gore case, in the successful legal battle to overturn Proposition 8 in 2013.

Olson has also held several government offices, including assistant attorney general for the office of legal counsel under President Reagan from 1981 to 1984 and solicitor general under Bush from 2001 to 2004.

He was a Reagan and Bush appointee, so it's not like the guy hails from the left... as if arguing for Bush in 2000 didn't make that clear enough. Granted, the Supreme Court's decision in that case was controversial. Nonetheless the arguments Olson made did prevail.

This case with the iPhone 5C seems like a far less challenging matter for Olson and his co-counsel to take on.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

As soon as I saw Ted Olsen I thought "wife, 9/11." This is getting very interesting.

5. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes. Barbara Olson of course was extremely conservative. Ted Olson himself, well who knows any more; he has taken on some interesting cases since 2001. Anyway he sure knows the Constitution. He made some remark last summer about Ted Cruz not having learned much at law school or something, when Cruz was talking about term limits for SCOTUS, let me find that link....

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Another person who can't stand Ted Cruz. I think that makes everybody.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm sure his mother likes him.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think if I supported Cruz my mother would stop liking me, if I supported Tump on the other hand...

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I think it's called infanticide.

10. thermodynamic, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Impressive? Or bizarre?

He helped to decide Bush Jr despite the popular vote being clearly against Bush Jr - the same man who said bluntly "you are either with us or with the terrorists" (and was one of the few times he wasn't wrong!) and who brought in the Patriot Act to "trample civil liberties"... and Olson even opted to defend on the expand on said rights trampling to help his associate Bush:

(emphasis added)

Gee, like I've said elsewhere, "what happens if it's your family member..." Olson already proved it more than a decade ago.

After all that Bush supporting and only now? He's either had a big change of heart based on some new information he's read about over the years... or he just can't handle the big Democrat in office no matter how much he compromises and prefers to play partisan politics instead of doing what's right for the country and all its people...

How much more interesting can it get, y'all?

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

But the electoral vote went against Gore and the electoral vote is what decides the election. A lot pf people want to do away with the Electoral College, but that could mean three or four states decide every presidential election.

12. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe change of heart is what happened. Olson did work to overturn prop 8 in California.

He has remarried, by the way. His second wife is Lady Booth. She's a tax lawyer, and a Democrat...