ABC-Wapo poll shows weak support for Republicans, Tea Party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

ABC News and the Washington Post are out with a poll which is full of danger signals for the Republicans and the Tea Party.

Though those polled indicate a dissatisfaction with the direction the country is going and with the performance of Congress, there's an even bigger dissatisfaction, even anger, with those on the conservative side.

Here are a few of the results:

Sure, there are warning signs for Obama and the Democrats, too...particularly in people who still feel the country is going in the wrong direction and those who are still casting about to find a candidate they like in the fall election.

But on issues such as climate change, boy are conservatives on the wrong side of the argument!

And where Republicans and the Tea Party are concerned, this poll kinda puts a big ding in the arguments of those who think they're gonna run roughshod over the Democrats this November...if the primaries didn't do that already.

2. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I wouldn't trust such a poll unless you split the poll 50/50 between people who are normally on the Left and Right politically.

People are very scared financially of what happens once the income tax levels start rising in 2011 and the first of the health care reform mandates start to kick in starting in 2011. That's why I'm a big believer in drastic tax simplification to not only reduce compliance costs to a small fraction of what it is now, but also design it so it encourages Americans to keep their savings and captial investments in the USA, both critical for real economic recovery.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tax cuts for the rich did nothing to accomplish what you're talking about. When are people going to realize that we have to pay our debts, and that trickle down has never worked?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

amazing what biased polling can show. Obama's approval rating has been taken up by much more reputable polls and it was not that high. Seems to be a large prevalence of leftists in the sampling.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The point is not what actually works but what you can convince people will work. Republicans gained control of Capitol Hill 15 years ago and we had 5 or 6 pretty good years of positive economic news. If they can find some way to message on that and on what a glorious heroic savior President 666 was, they could make significant gains. I am not believing a Contract ON America time stunt would work this time, though.
    No, if there were a large number of leftists in the sampling, the President's approval rating would be quite a bit lower.

6. MattSepeta, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

If the media covered the lefty "anarchists" causing tens of thousands of dollars of damage at the RNC held in St Paul a few years back, or the union goons infringing on innocent businessmen and their family's rights, then maybe we would see some different numbers.

I don't recall and "Tea Party" rioting, vandalizing, throwing bricks through private businesses store fronts.... But the media would sure like you to think they do!

Its all a big joke at this point.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

does not change the fact that his approval rating is not in line with the better polling samples. That alone shows me that the rest of it is complete crap.

8. leekohler, Jun 14, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're damn right. Most on the left are extremely unhappy with Obama. This poll most likely was composed of many moderates.

Who said that they were vandalizing anything? Please point to an article that makes that claim.

The point remains That they are extremists with basically no cohesive message.

9. MattSepeta, Jun 14, 2010

MattSepeta

generalities

I was speaking generally.

"Tea Party" bashing is largely based on a rhetorical disagreement. Clinton made his schpeel about "watching what you say, not promoting violence, ect", which, is saying "Tea Party shutup" in so many words or less.
    The media (Huffpo, msnbc, abc) is constantly using the term Tea Party and calling them "extremists", as you yourself have proven. What have they done that is so extreme? Have they bombed anything? Have they brought Molotov cocktails to any of their gatherings? Nope. Yes, some have brought REGISTERED firearms to teaparty protests, but they are protests in support of freedom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Republican_National_Convention#Protests
    Multiple persons arrested for possession of molotov cocktails.

Those tolerant youths!

Calling them "extremists" because they support our Federal Government being bound by the constitution is pretty silly if you ask me.

-Those whalewars idiots are extremists because they break the law by violating a foreign countries private enterprises.

-Peta are extremists because they support arson and have claimed that "if an animal abuser dies as a result of our arson I am ok with that"

-Earth First and other organizations are extremists because of attempting bombings and tree spiking death and injuries

-SDS and other organizations are extremists because they participate in illegal protest and sit ins, including blockading the loading of a military transport in tacoma.

"Tea Party" sit in on town hall meetings and ask questions, carry signs, and bring their kids. Please, let me know of any story covering "Tea Party" attacking anyone, or attempting to firebomb or vandalize anyone's property, or impeding on their civil rights at all.

Tolerant, love-filled liberal expressing his displeasure with "Tea Party" by assaulting a woman then punching her husband, then attempting to flea the scene: http://video.foxnews.com/v/4234106/tea-party-member-attacked

10. leekohler, Jun 14, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since when is violence the only indication of extremism? And who here is defending it?

BTW- a lot of Tea Party views, if made law, would impinge on others' freedoms and civil rights. The TEA Party has become a lot more than a tax protest. It's become the mouthpiece for just about any extreme view on the right- anti- gay, "pro-life", etc. Just because the haven't bombed a building does not mean they don't hold extreme views.

11. AP_piano295, Jun 14, 2010

AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

They were throwing bricks immediately after heath care passed.

In my district at least one of them cut a gas line which he thought belonged to Tom Periello. Admittedly it was the line on a barbecue grill but I feel the intent is clear.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But none of that is a big deal to MattSepeta. They were also calling people all sorts of ugly names after the vote. "Fa**ot" being one of them.

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

It is terrible to call someone that name, and I am not supporting that in the slightest. Fortunately we are legally able to call people names. It's one's own problem if they choose to take offense.

Can I see some articles about these teapartiers that cut the gas lines, or threw bricks? Preferably an article covering participants being criminally charged for these actions.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n..._perriello_brother_under_investigation/54038/

No one has yet been charged the FBI is still investigating. It is known that a tea party activist advertised the address which was attacked.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- but it would have nothing to do with extreme views or anything like that. Unbelieveable, but keep making excuses.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What was the intent? To mess up Tom Periello's barbeque when hes out of propane come summer time?

17. MattSepeta, Jun 14, 2010

MattSepeta

???

No excuses here.

What is unbelievable is that I asked for a credible news source showing me where "Tea Partyers" have been charged with violent or property offenses, and no one has anything!

Give me 2 minutes with the internet and I could find countless examples of the compassionate, mainstream left using violent tactics as well as violating property rights to get their "point" across.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

What was the intent? To help build an extension on Democrats houses?

19. leekohler, Jun 14, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you read the post, the FBI is still investigating.

And certain name-calling, while legal, is indicative of extreme views.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Propane tanks do not explode unless under very high and abnormal heat, they also have safety features in case there happens to be a line severed or a failure. Added to the fact that they never caught anyone, and there are tons of different ways that a line could be severed.

With the bricks, no one was caught again, so you have no evidence.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Perhaps the attacker didn't know that. Maybe they thought it would explode and that was their intent.

22. mcrain, Jun 14, 2010

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What is a Tea Partyer? A right-wing, anti-government advocate who happens to love guns.

I wonder if I can find a single instance of a tea-partyer doing something illegal....

[​IMG]

If you include in the definition of tea-partyer religious nuts who happen to be anti-government, I'm sure I could find images of Waco, the Michigan militia, etc....

http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002641/ -- video on this link

23. freeny, Jun 14, 2010

freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

While I agree that Tim McV as well as these other organizations would most certainly have been Tea Party lovers, you cant technically associate the two seeing as the "movement" hadn't been "organized" at the time...

24. NT1440, Jun 14, 2010

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Agreed, though I'd bet my last dollar that had McVeigh been around today, he's share much of the same ideology of far too many of the the more extreme tea party members today.

25. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

ha

what a poor excuse. Tim Mcveigh was a lone nut acting out his own nutterish fantasies. Nice try, play again.

Show me where a person with tea party affiliations has been criminally convicted of a violent act. Name calling still does not count.