ABC's 20/20 Islam: Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iShater, Oct 1, 2010.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Story Link

Did you catch the show tonight?

Thoughts? Learn anything new? Make you have even more questions?

2. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

How about Amanpour's This Week show on Sunday about the same topic?

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I did not watch the 20/20 episode, but I did catch 'This Week' as I always record that show (George Will is a independent voice always worth listening to). I thought the show was very good... It's refreshing to see this type of discussion on broadcast television. I thought the analysis was pretty fair and gave both sides opportunity to share their views. I thought both sides had some very good points, and both sides had some bad points as well.

The most memorable portion of the show was after the wife of Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf got done talking for a minute or so on how those on the Right were misrepresenting Islam, and that Islam and Sharia was much kinder to women and pro-equal rights than it was being presented, at which point Christianne invited a very traditional Muslim on and he pretty much told her that she was not a real Muslim... maybe a Muslim in the same sense as a 'vegetarian who only eats big beef burgers once and a while' - essentially refuting everything she just said while all of the conservative commentators just sat there nodding their heads like 'see... see we told you so.'

It was educational for many I'm sure - the one point which I 100% agree with was that the extremist Muslims have so far completely drowned out the more moderate Muslims... for that there is much blame to go around, but the bottom line is that we need to hear the moderate voice louder and clearer than ever before. When Jihadi's kill in the name of Mohammed - we need muslims brave enough to stand up and say that those Jihadi's are going to hell for killing innocents and that this is not at all the will of Mohammed.

5. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

^^ scary comments by the totally insane on that site.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Anjem Choudary is a complete tool. This is well known over here, where virtually all British Muslims find him to be an embarrassment. It doesn't matter what he says, since he has no supporters.

Makes great television when you want to irrationally frighten people though...

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Very true. Reminds me very much of the comments on HuffPo or Media Matters. A lot of complete idiots out there.

10. Queso macrumors G4

One of my favourites :D

11. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

13. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Relax, big guy. I simply copy/pasted from the original article. Didn't want to retype it. So full of hate, it must be tiring.

14. Queso macrumors G4

You should have used a good mix of bold and italic :)

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So tired of seeing the word "hate" abused by you and your ilk. Do not judge others by your own example.

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I agree... that would be very relevant. I haven't been able to find much, but would be very interested in seeing any information others are able to dig up!

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The more I look into this, the worse it seems... but it's a mixed bag.

PEW POLL
    • 1 in 4 U.S. Young Muslims OK With Homicide Bombings Against Civilians
    • Only 40 percent of U.S. Muslims believe that Arabs carried out the Sept. 11 attacks. Another 28 percent said they don't believe it.
    • Almost half of the nation's Muslims are more likely to identify themselves as Muslims first and then Americans, with 47 percent placing religious affiliation above nationality.
    • 48 percent said using force in Afghanistan was wrong.

One 'good' thing I guess:

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You should actually read the poll you link to rather copying and from the news article you got those figures from. The "1 in 4 young Muslims being ok with homicide bombings against civillians" is not as you represent. The question provides a circumstance (which makes the answer probably lower than the proportion of Christians that think "collateral" deaths of civilians is justified). Secondly there is a lot more positive there than the one you pick out. For the vast majority of responses muslims are arguably equally or more moderate than the general population. That's not your agenda though.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The problem is that in many Muslim countries, like Iran, their law is based on Sharia law. It's laws like this that allow the National Government to stone, beat and execute its citizens whenever they please.

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I posted the original source so anyone could read through it in it's entirety. It's many pages long, so I haven't read it yet personally... only scanned it. I have no doubt there are many 'good things' in there ("mixed bag"), but I doubt very much that the response are 'more moderate' than the general population considering the number of them that are supportive of Sharia Law.

22. Queso macrumors G4

The Telegraph was deliberately misrepresenting the facts. What those 40% really want is a Muslim equivalent of a Beit Din. The numbers that want to override British law with Sharia is tiny.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You posted the figures though from an article you didn't bother to reference. What article was that? Because they certainly cherry-picked. Here's the reality of the findings;

Interesting to note that "rarely justified to defend islam" morphs into "OK with homicide bombings against civilians" in your post. I wonder what the figures would be if we asked young americans about bombing of civilian targets to protect americans?

What part of the poll deals with Sharia Law?

24. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I agree. That quote is a misrepresentation of the data. I don't even know where it came from... the first source that came up summarizing the pew poll. I was doing mad Google searches to find data that Ahmed requested, copied some highlights from the article, but made a point to link to the original source.

I would suggest everyone read the original poll (always a good idea) instead of reading news outlets' 'analysis' of the data.

If their numbers are at all close to the article that Ahmed referenced from the UK, that would clearly represent a 'less moderate' view than the general public, no?

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Little easier said than done don't you think?

Three women were recently lashed with a cane for having sex with their boyfriends. What kind of advice would you give these woman so they aren't beaten when they perform these actions.

I feel it's too easy for you to say "When in Rome" because you're not the one getting beaten and killed for performing adultery.