Abnormal Battery Life? (inc. Usage Statistics)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cambookpro, Jul 9, 2013.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,

For the past few weeks I've been noticing that my phone is often dying on me before the end of the day. I don't really consider myself a heavy user - I only use about 1.5GB data a month, and most of the time I'm at school so don't use my phone anyway.

Today it seemed exceptionally bad, and I managed to snap a usage screenshot to see if it appears abnormal or in line with everyone else.

I have to admit, I have 2 email accounts with push data, and I always have my screen at 100%. Generally I try and close FB and FB Messenger after using them as I know they've been accused of being battery-killing culprits in the past.
    Even so, I think that what I've been getting isn't great, to say the least. (16% with 2h 51m usage and 5h 18m standby)

What does the infinite wisdom that is MR think? :p
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. iAlphard macrumors regular

First, try to reduce brightness to 50%.
    Second, on iCloud. Turn off safari backup, go to manage storage on iCloud, delete safari data. Do the same to chrome if you have it installed.
    Third, go to safari setting and clear all cookies, cache. And chrome also if you have it installed.
    Fourth, just optional. Delete and re-add your email accounts.
    Test your device for 2 days.

3. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks - have done what you mentioned, except the brightness. I really don't like my brightness only at 50% - but I know that's being a bit fussy and if push comes to shove I will turn it down.

Just think it defeats the point of buying a phone with a bright, colourful screen only to not use half of it.

4. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Brightness is one of the biggest culprits there is when it comes to battery life, I leave mine at 35% and it's perfect for most situations.

5. iAlphard macrumors regular

No problem, post update here after you test it.
    Yea i can understand you, but try to lessen it. Especially when you aren't in direct sunlight condition.

6. Oridus macrumors 6502a

i'm confused though, why would you have to turn off the safari and chrome backup on icloud if the storage and backup is only able to be performed on WIFI unless you manually go in there an do it (which most don't on a regular basis)?

7. iAlphard macrumors regular

I suspect the same thing could happen on browser just like the mail, something with cache and older data.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Same as always with these questions: troubleshoot and find the culprit. Battery life is impacted by a number of potential suspects. Reduced coverage will definitely impact battery life. A rogue app can affect battery life. Your usage can affect battery life. A dying battery can affect battery life. Issues with push email account(s) can affect battery life.

The heavy handed approach would be to wipe and see if battery life is still poor after the wipe (running stock). If battery life improves after running stock then you know it's a software issue. Apple can test your battery if you don't want to have to go through this.

If it is a software issue then you need to narrow down the particular cause. Removing apps and email accounts one at a time is one way to determine the culprit.

There isn't just one silver bullet for everyone out there to resolve battery life issues.

Half brightness isn't using "half the screen". Besides, you don't get something for nothing. Full brightness will eat more battery. It's your call to make as to where you want to compromise. Not saying that screen brightness is the cause of your problems. If you've always run at 100% then it seems unlikely.

9. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks - after deleting some caches and cookies as recommended above, my battery now seems to still be on 25% at the end of the day, but I haven't really been testing it long enough to see if that's just a fluke or some meaningful improvement.

I know 50% brightness isn't using 'half the screen' like I said (I maybe was being a little hyperbolical there), but from iPhone 2G to 3GS to 4 to 5 I've always used 100% brightness without an issue.