Abortion Activists Shout.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jul 12, 2013.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Some person from some group surrounded by political controversy says or does something rude and/or dumb. More at 11.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. MegamanX macrumors regular

Well while no the most classy thing. The very fact that the GOP is shoving this bill threw gives them zero leg to stand on.
    To top it off your source is well crap at best.

This is a crap bill and I hope to god that the courts strike it down hard.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think its more sad that people (the protesters and the public in general) are turning abortion into a political/religious debate. You are ending an unborn childs life, calling it a "choice" or equating it to left/right politics is really ignoring the severity and irreversibility of what is really going on.

I understand there are things like rape and medical necessity, but today too many people see abortion as birth control and that I don't agree with. It is not "choosing" it is not "beliefs" its consciously ending the life of an unborn child and it needs to be treated that way, not just something people up and go do on a weekend.

6. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Good for them for using their 1st amendment right.
    There are already over six billion people on earth, a few unwanted babies won't be missed people :rolleyes:

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yeah, nothing says class like denying women legal healthcare via legislation.

8. MegamanX macrumors regular

that depends on when life begins. Simple as that.

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

See, I don't get the rape exemption at all. What, it's the "unborn child's" fault that the Mom was raped? How does that make sense in a pro-lifer's mind?

Not having sex in the first place also results in no child being born. How dare women ovulate eggs that are not fertilized! Think of all the babies that could have been but aren't! ;)

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Anyone who is anti-choice needs to spend a day with my cousin who has one child and one on the way. They'll change their minds pretty damn quick. Hell, a miscarriage is the best thing that could happen to her unborn child.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Citation needed.

I guess you must be pro-choice - as legal abortion seems to reduce the rate.

[​IMG]

(source)

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Do you really think that A) people see abortion (a costly, possibly dangerous procedure that has a huge political and social question attached to it) as "birth control" and B) "people" just "do on a weekend" like going to the grocery store?

Simply put, the research doesn't bear this out and abortion has never been an particularly easy thing to do. While many women report feeling "relief" after the procedure, it's not something that most women do lightly.

It should be wrapped into the other thread.

14. elistan macrumors 6502a

Indeed, I wonder who are all these people chrono1081 knows that regularly have unprotected sex and instead just get an abortion anytime a pregnancy test shows positive. Sounds so much cheaper, safer and convenient than condoms, the pill, spermicide or even a one-time surgery, you know?

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This is such a weak argument. We all know what the cells are turning into. We all know what aborting does to life.

This is something I cannot wrap my head around other than to say women/men know that abortion is morally wrong yet selfishly or under stress or under great emotional strain have had to make the decision/will make the decision to do so and would like their fellow peers/citizens/scientist to tell them it's okay because it technically wasn't a baby.

You're ending a life. If you are okay with that then your fate is between you and your maker but don't try to make it out to be something that it isn't so you can feel better about what happened/happens.

17. MegamanX macrumors regular

If that is your argument. Get back to me when the GOP supports that belief. AKA not cutting funding for prenatal care, foster homes and early child hood development.

Lets just call it what it is. Right now the group is not "pro-life" they are pro-birth at best. They do not care about the health of the group of cells during growth or after birth. It is screw everything else but birth. Get back to me when they also support the funding for those programs. The Dems support those programs no matter what. GOP says screw them.

This to me proves GOP does not care about our health or anything.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Truly^^^

A totally objective site with absolutely no motivation to...er..kind of make stuff up.. And such impressive and well documented reportage. Their source references seem to be missing.

OP...any other sources for the report of this amazingly heinous crime...one person yells something inappropriate (not a bad idea, but in bad taste, I guess).

The report is totally useless without sources.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

What exactly are you talking (angrily) about?

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Hopefully you don't think my stance stems from a political party or some denomination of religion. My only statement was about terminating a human life in development, not advocating for healthcare to be taken away from women.

If people decide their moral conscious is okay with abortion then by all means the best healthcare out there should be available to those who decide to have one. Let's not lose two lives in the tragedy.

21. elistan macrumors 6502a

You'll have to be a bit more precise about what you're talking about, because everything from eating lettuce to eating steak to taking antibiotics to excising a cancer tumor are also "ending a life." While there are some who consider eating a steak, and even taking antibiotics, to be immoral, I don't believe anybody considers ending the life of an innocent lettuce plan is immoral.

I think I know what you're getting at, but I'm hoping you can expand on why you believe that killing a zygote cell is immoral, yet killing a bone marrow cell with the exact same DNA is not.

22. MegamanX macrumors regular

but this bill is not about the best healthcare. That is crap. When you have the Lt Gov saying "This bill effetely bans abortions in Texas" clear says it is anything but about health care.

It is sad but lets be blunt the GOP cares nothing about the health care. It is fake at best.

----------

Some of the amendments put forth by the Dems what exactly that. Increase funding for those things.
    They tried to put in better sex education to try to stop the pregnancies from happening in the first place. That was block as well.

This bill is not about health care for women in any way shape or from. It is nothing more than a pro-birther bill. It is not what I would call pro life as clearly they are blocking anything that would have to do with life.

23. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This is not health care...it is birth control. And it does not rid abortion. It moves the legal timeline to a more thoughtful time. Do you actually want the babies to feel pain during the procedure? If you think a timeline is wrong then do you want it to be legal through all 9 mos.?

And for those saying the link is garbage..It is on the news as well. Even the liberal loved CNN.

24. MegamanX macrumors regular

If it was just moving the time line it would be one thing.

Look at the other measures. It will close down all but 5 clinics in Texas and before you try the they have X months to comply I would like to point out other states that pass laws like this that it closed down almost all of their clinics.
    The 20 week thing is a distraction from the rest of the bill.
    So thank you come again.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

here is what he is referring too.
    Texas Abortion Bill Author In 2007: No Health Care For Unborn Because 'They're Not Born Yet'
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/texas-abortion-bill-author_n_3570588.html

WASHINGTON -- Texas State Rep. Jodie Laubenberg (R), the author of the radically anti-abortion bill making its way through the Texas Legislature this week, argued for hours on Tuesday that lawmakers should support her bill because of its strong protections for a person's "pre-born life."

The bill, HB 2, responds to "the definite death to the 70,000-plus babies who have been aborted in this state," Laubenberg said during remarks on the House floor. "HB 2 focuses on both the child and the woman."

But back in 2007, she made the case against treating the unborn as people -- at least, when it comes to qualifying for health care services.

During a House debate on an appropriations bill that year, Laubenberg, a staunch conservative, put forward an amendment that would require expectant mothers to wait three months before they could begin receiving prenatal and perinatal care under the Children's Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, a program that helps cover uninsured children in low-income families.

Laubenberg's amendment drew criticism from Democratic Rep. Rafael Anchia, who said the change would mean that more than 95,000 children, in utero, would be kicked out of the CHIP program. As the two sparred over whether that was true -- Anchia cited CHIP data from hospitals, Laubenberg alleged it was "misinformation" -- Anchia asked if Laubenberg recognized those in-utero babies as people.

"You do know, don't you, that these are U.S. citizens?" Anchia asked.

"But they're not born yet," Laubenberg said.

Laubenberg's response drew a look of shock from Democratic Rep. Dawnna Dukes, who could be seen standing next to Anchia during the exchange. Anchia also appeared to relish the moment as he pressed Laubenberg that she was now arguing against treating a fetus as a person. "That's the whole point, see?" Anchia said. "You have an anti-life amendment."

Laubenberg fired back that there is "no one more pro-life" in the House than her, and again said Anchia's data was wrong. Still, something he said must have rattled her because she pulled down her amendment.

"I will be back," Laubenberg said as she prepared to leave the podium. "But right now, out of consideration for the body, I will pull this amendment down."