Abortion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fireshot91, Feb 13, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So my friends and I are having a heated discussion on Abortion.

And if its right or wrong.

What do you think?

I'm on the side that its wrong, its just like me killing somebody. Why do I go to jail if I kill some person, and a doctor doesn't if he kills a baby?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh, this ought'a be fun... :p

It all comes down to when you define life beginning.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

+1

inb4 divulging into petty rants...

Personally, I'm pro choice, to a certain extent, if it's really in both the baby and the parents interest that it should be aborted, then it should be aborted, but if it's just because the girl is some slut who can't keep her legs closed for 5 minutes, then that's her fault...

4. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Life beginning, after the sperm and Egg join.

Life begging- when the sperm and egg multiply so its not 2 cells anymore, its a multi-cellular organism (Even though 2 cells is multi-cellular)

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It's rarely within the baby's best interest to be aborted.

7. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

...if ever. :p.

8. benbondu macrumors regular

Yeah, I noticed that too. What a strange pro-choice argument. I'm much more comfortable imagining the fetus isn't an individual and therefore doesn't have any interests.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I mean in terms of whether it will grow up with severe mental disabilities.

I'm out this thread now, because everyone has really overly sensitive views on this, and I cba getting down to petty arguments of "I'm right, you're wrong"

No offense obeygiant, wasn't intended at you.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Personally, I'm fine with it, and if you aren't, then don't have one...doesn't both me

But when people start saying we should take the choice away from people to have one or not, then there is an issue.

Using terms like "killing a baby" is clearly putting it in a way suggests that its bad. You have to be alive to be killed.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And that is the reason I have avoided this thread until now.

You don't really want to know what others think, you only wish to profess your own view.

12. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, I fully accept any other person's opinion....after all, it is there opinion.

I, for one, won't be affected by other people's opinions.

If I agree, I agree. If I disagree, I disagree, you shouldn't want to change my opinion.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:confused::confused:
    Then what's the point in talking about it?

I talk/debate to see new sides of the argument, to understand it better, and maybe change my mind

14. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

It could be argued that cancer is a multi cellular organism too. Thats why I wouldn't classify that as life.

Why would you start a thread if you aren't even going to consider, or find reasons to object to other people's opinions and views?

I don't think anyone wants to change your opinion as such, just helps give different angles on it. After all, you only form a proper opinion after hearing many sides of the argument I suppose.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Of course not, I just don't want to see rebuffs for everyone that posts something contrary to your beliefs.

Otherwise, you should have crafted your original post more carefully.

16. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, yes, thats what I meant. I don't want to change anybody's opinions on purpose. Its they're choice of what side to be on...as it is mine.

Ok, I take back my previous statement, I just want to see other point-of-view's in this matter. And maybe, just maybe I'll change my opinion.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've done all my arguing on this topic already here. You can find a pretty good debate in the latter pages of that thread.

or at least as good as any PRSI debate. We haven't started name calling... yet.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, fair enough, although I am still sceptical of your intent.

Abortion of a foetus is not an issue, IMO, as it is not yet a sentient being. I refuse to be swayed by pictures of baby-like images.

But, abortion should not be a replacement for birth control. Both parties should agree, as they did for the conception.

Incest, rape, etc, no question. Only the Mother need be consulted. The male, nor anyone else, has anything to say in this matter.

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This.

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I'm all for reversible castrations until one can prove their ability to raise a child. However this introduces a plater of new issues.

21. calculus Guest

calculus

Is this part of the pre-castration relaxation technique?

22. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but then you see this

And it goes out the windows!

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Blanketing it as completely right or completely wrong doesn't advance an honest debate at all imho.

It's completely circumstantial.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's no guarantee whatsoever that the fetus will become a human being. Up to 25% of all pregnancies end up as miscarriages.

With the growing obesity epidemic and the heavy burden of chemicals in the environment, I wouldn't be surprised if that percentage increased.

Is one truly able to pursue happiness when a baby is burdened by the obesity or drug dependency or poverty of its mother? We now have the ability to discover whether a fetus has potential health issues. Is it fair to burden the parents and society in general with children who are horribly misshapen?

I think the xian right has blinded itself to the realities of modern society.