About H1b abuse, is the truth in the middle? (not an article link)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 15, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Many say we have more unemployed IT workers...

Many say those outside the US do it better (regar4dless of qualifications, real or forged)...

Many say those educated here have not been educated well enough (so when will the colleges have to refund their students for fleecing them after due process since corporate leaders really do have some fair points and are not the butt of all evil "just because"...)

Many say the H1Bs are (for the most part) paid as well as Americans or nearly enough (though Cruz's plan to have wages raised somewhat implies otherwise but certainly not completely so...)

How much does the media hype up to stir up emotions that we all fall for? Especially with clickbait and exaggerated facts no matter how small or benign?

Is the truth somewhere in the middle?

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

From the perspective that H1B is undercutting average local tech wages I’m going to say something that is probably unpopular in these parts but I’m pro H1B. I live in Silicon Valley but don’t work in tech. The cost of living is already ridiculous. What do you think is going to happen if even more tech workers are making more money? Don’t ask me to have sympathy for tech jobs if you don’t have sympathy for the many more people who don’t work in tech but still have to pay the same high cost.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When workers you're laying off are training their H1B replacements, there is something really, really wrong.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm of the opinion that it is really difficult to write a fair, iron-clad law that can't be taken advantage of by well-paid, intelligent Corporate lawyers.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Companies are churning highly experienced IT/developers out to save money, no doubt about it. Behind all of the ******** facade of doing good for the world, being green, and other outward marketing campaigns are just companies trying to make a short term dollar.

Another problem is that no one wants to hire developers who are over 45, that's retirement age in technology.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I always look to work with older developers. ****ing kids have no business maturity and only care about coding to specs. In my experience, older developers read the requirements, understand the business and ask you a whole lot of "what about" questions, which leads to better outcomes.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I work with some pretty epic older guys, unfortunately, they are being targeted for replacement and no one cares that we are losing decades of experience until someone goes to work on some legacy code. I can see the need for fresh blood to mix it up a bit, and there are those stubborn ones who won't follow the tide, but I'd say most are willing to retrain in whatever capacity possible, 45+ shouldn't be looked down on in tech like it is and as someone in their early 30s it seems pretty clear you have to move up quick and shift to management or exec positions to avoid the churn.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Another issue is there are startups or small companies that aren't making a profit or are just barely making a profit. Cheap labor is one way to cut costs. I would also suggest maybe stop hiring chart topping bands from the 90's to play at your lunch break but, nah, that should definitely continue. I'm a little up there in years but have to admit I don't know where we would have found our inspiration if it wasn't for our monthly Deep Purple and Steely Dan lunch concerts. Wait, that didn't happen. Good God, where did we find our motivation to show up to work back then?