iPhone XR About iPhone XR not having a 1080p display…

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Interesting video from Jonathan Morrison. In a blind test people picked the XR over a phone with a 1080p display. Of course people commenting on this video and Jonathan’s tweet claim that he intentionally used an inferior phone for comparison to make the XR look better. But the reason he did was because of all the arguments that much cheaper phones had better displays than the XR.

This reminds me of the camera test he did where he took a photo with an XS but told everyone it was taken with a Pixel 2. Everyone assumed it was a better photo just because he said it was taken with the Pixel. Then when they found out it really was an iPhone some deleted their original tweets. Lol.

2. smartbot macrumors regular

smartbot

Great video! All those people complaining about the Xr screen should watch this!

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apologies if this has already been discussed but is there a software reason (difference between iOS and Android) that the screen isn’t 1080p?

4. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I don't know anyone that actually has an Xr that is complaining.. it's just the spec whores that have complained and stated how horrible is all based on a number.

5. apolloa macrumors G4

Haha I was about to post the very same thing, see when your minds not pre made up with the rubbish spouted on the internet, you see the XR as a better screen then a 1080P device! But nooo doubt some will still call it crap.

Just watch the salty reactions as they come to realise their prejudices are just fake rubbish and the XR has a fantastic screen! Maybe they should have shown text blown up to 50 X because it may look fuzzy.....:rolleyes:

6. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

We have the XR. I bought one for my wife. As I mentioned in my review, the XR's small text clarity is noticeably worse than on my 7 Plus.

My wife doesn't care though, so the phone is a good match for her. However, the quality decrease is enough that I won't buy one for myself.

7. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I have a 8+ that I use for work everyday... I can't tell the difference!

8. ATC macrumors 65816

Coming from a 7, I honestly cannot find a single fault with my XR's display. It looks exceptionally good to my eyes.

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

In 2018, the PPI race is similar to the camera megapixel race we saw 5 years ago.

10. now i see it macrumors 68040

Vision quality is subjective. Just like detecting odors. Some people can't breathe or stay in a room because of the strong odors inside, while others can't smell a thing in the same room and all is good inside (to them).

Same with vision. Some people can clearly see the minutest details and differences , while others can't see anything different (or tiny details).

So it all boils down to — everyone needs to try these displays out for themselves. Nobody can tell you if it's gunna bug you or not. You've got to see for yourself.

11. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Lots of misinformation about the XR display.

- lower PPI doesn't necessarily make text blurry. All of you complaining about this should also be SCREAMING about pretty much the entire Apple product line sans the X, XS, XS Max, the Plus variants of the older iPhones, and the iPad Mini 4 (same 326 PPI). Every other Apple product has a significantly lower PPI. iPad Pro comes in at 264 (both sizes), MacBook Pro 13" at 227, 15" at 220, the iMac Pro, with it's 5k display is only 217.

- A good screen is a good screen, no matter the PPI

- At more than about a foot, it's pretty much impossible to distinguish individual pixels at 300+ PPI, that was the whole point of "retina". My other device is a S9+ at 531 PPI, before that I had a S8 at 568 PPI, so I know what super high PPI screens look like.

- Software being optimized for screen size makes a much bigger difference than PPI

12. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

We've known about the 6-8 being blurrier for small fonts for YEARS. This is not new. In fact, I mentioned a long time ago that the XR was going to be blurrier for small text, but people kept on saying it's a new screen with new features so I can't judge it before I see it. That's a fair point, so I bought one before providing my review.

Now that we have an XR, guess what? Small fonts on the XR are somewhat blurrier than on my 7 Plus, just like small fonts on our 6s are blurrier than on my 7 Plus (or the 8 Plus and XS Max I've tried).

13. Girder_Shade macrumors member

Girder_Shade

Not sure how many people have seen this video yet but it's amazing how nobody was able to tell which panel was the iPhone XR display over the Android.
    Just goes to show the XR has an amazing display!

14. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

I’m not surprised. I put a XS Max next to a XR at the Apple store with both screens on the same settings. I didn’t see an in you face difference between the screens. I bought the XR.

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Screen resolution is not really going to look better when watching a video on a phone.

Ita more so text that coomes off as not as sharp.

16. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

The iPhone 7 has the same ppi

17. apolloa macrumors G4

But but but but that text is just fuzzy and blurry ONLY on the iPhone XR! Because you use it at a different distance! When I use the XR an inch from my face it’s all blurry and fuzzy!!!!

Reading the way people on here are going on about it, you’d expect it to be a night and day difference, when you go and actually compare an XR to an XS side by side yourself, you soon find it impossible to see the difference or what everyone is complaining about.

I love the salty excuses claiming videos different, the text is still going to be fuzzy hahaha..

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s a good video. And it’s a great example to prove that consumers _don’t_ generally know the differences of displays of what they’re looking at. They might see uniformity and brightness, but they don’t know the differences between 720 P, 828P or 1080 P. You have to keep the mindset that Apple wants to keep it simple in terms of what they market for this new iPhone, which is Face ID, form factor and colors.

19. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I don't know, but if I was to make a semi-educated guess, it would be an artefact resulting from Apple's original design of the iOS UI, and sizing of icons. They have decided on a UI scale, consisting of a predetermined number of 'points', and either use 2x2 or 3x3 pixels to define each point. So if the XR was to use a 1080p screen, the icons would be too small and cluttered for Apple, as each pixel would be smaller.

I don't know how Android works, but I don't think they care so much if UI elements are small. Or, they could just scale the whole screen with a fractional ratio, and trust the tiny pixels to hide the resulting blurriness.

20. Shanghaichica, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

He compared it to the display on a $300 budget android phone. I’d expect the display on the $750+ phone to be better.

21. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

I can easily pick it out with those ugly bezels.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

The $300 android phone...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    Sorry this made me chuckle.

23. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Don't forget cost cutting :)

24. apolloa macrumors G4

He deliberately chose the Pocophone because a lot of salty people have been claiming it has a better screen then the iPhone XR, I’ve even read people on this forum make the same claim! So he wanted to prove how wrong they are.

25. UnifiedMelody macrumors regular

UnifiedMelody

to be honest my monitor at home is 27 Inch and 2560x1440p which is a measely 100PPI... that sounds crap right.
    Not really, people are so obsessed with ppi that they get triggered when the "IPHONE DID NOT COME WITH 1080P"... my monitor is ultra sharp and expansive at normal viewing distances (50-70cm) and is a huge step up over say my 21" 1080P monitor.
    for crying out loud, 1080p vs 720p video is more noticable to me on my current monitor due to the "mediocre PPI" blurry edges are more obvious in this case

i usually watch YouTube mobile videos at 480P since I really can't see the inherent difference between 480P to 720P not to mention it's more friendly on my data usage.

tl;dr : do not worry bout resolution specs. 326ppi {retina} is perfectly fine... i'd be more concerned about the quality and calibration/color accuracy of the LCD/OLED displays to be honest, people getting psyched up and triggerd over resolution needs a huge reality check because they're wasting energy for all the wrong reasons (and i don't lose out).

while yes iPhone 6/7/8+ and iPhone XS/XS max has higher ppi, to me the diminishing returns is that the inherent increase in ppi is insignificant due to the size of the screen alone. that ppi difference would be significant on anything larger [like a monitor or tv]