About that legal pot...

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
"Legal" isn't quite legal if it's at the mercy of a government.

http://fortune.com/2019/06/21/california-weed-pot-marijuana-cannabis/

Marijuana shoppers are going to be getting a message from California regulators: Go legal.

Aiming to slow illegal pot sales that are undercutting the nation’s largest licensed market, California is kicking off a public information campaign—Get #weedwise—that encourages consumers to verify that their purchases are tested and legal.

Ads will be hitting social media sites and billboards promoting a state website where shoppers can quickly check if a shop is licensed—CApotcheck.com.

The campaign makes a simple argument: You don’t know what you’re getting if you buy illegal products.

One ad says, “What’s in your weed shouldn’t be a mystery. Shop licensed cannabis retailers only.”

The new push in the fight against illegal cannabis will be formally announced Friday at a Los Angeles forum featuring industry leaders, regulators, and elected officials.

The campaign “will directly impact consumer safety by clarifying that only cannabis purchased from licensed retailers has met the state’s safety standards,” Bureau of Cannabis Control Chief Lori Ajax said in a statement.

The ads are also intended to telegraph a warning to illicit shops and underground growers: Get licensed to operate in the legal market, or shut down.

At the forum organized by the United Cannabis Business Association, a trade group, the need for more aggressive enforcement against illegal operators came up repeatedly.

State Assemblyman Tom Lackey, a Republican from Palmdale, called the problem the “biggest failure right now in the system.”

“Regulations are merely suggestions without an enforcement arm,” he said, adding that the state and local governments are failing to work together.

California kicked off broad legal sales Jan. 1, 2018. But the illegal market has continued to thrive, in part because consumers can avoid steep tax rates by buying in unlicensed dispensaries.

But there’s a trade-off for saving a buck. Illegal products have not met strict state testing standards and could be tainted by mold, pesticides, heavy metals—even human waste.

“Do you know what’s hiding in your counterfeit edibles?” one ad asks.

Agency spokesman Alex Traverso said the ads are part of a three-pronged campaign to eventually corral illegal sales—the others are enforcement, including shutting down illegal shops and farms, and quickly licensing businesses that want to enter the legal economy.

The state is spending an initial $1.7 million on the campaign and hopes to “get it in front of as many eyeballs as possible,” Traverso said.

The state has been under pressure by the legal industry to do more to stop illegal sales. By some estimates, Los Angeles has hundreds of illegal shops and cultivation sites.

No one is predicting the campaign will bring illicit sales to a halt, but it’s being seen as another step to aid legal businesses as the state transitions from what was once a largely illegal economy into a multibillion-dollar, regulated marketplace.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Meanwhile in Oregon, they have some of the best cannabis, and they have quite a lot. Estimates put the recent harvest at six years worth of product, because it cannot be legally exported out of state. This is the classic boom/bust business cycle, with the added twist that many of the growers had to use their own startup capital because most financial institutions cannot take part in businesses that are federally illegal. Not sure what happens next.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Why do you say it is not quite legal? Medicines are regulated.
I support absolute decriminalization with no government oversight on regulation. Otherwise, we have situations now where people can still be prosecuted for pot. It’s legal, sorta. But one would think that if something is “legal” recreationally, then people still couldn’t be arrested due to it.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
I support absolute decriminalization with no government oversight on regulation. Otherwise, we have situations now where people can still be prosecuted for pot. It’s legal, sorta. But one would think that if something is “legal” recreationally, then people still couldn’t be arrested due to it.
You buy medicines at a pharmacy, so it is normal if you can only buy pot from official sources.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
The idea of it being a tax revenue stream gets thrown out the window when the illegal sellers can undercut the legal ones. I always viewed legalization as a necessity to stop throwing people in jail for something stupid like cannabis possession. I'm sure a state like California could tax itself right out of the market.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
You buy medicines at a pharmacy, so it is normal if you can only buy pot from official sources.
Correct. Which is why anyone should be very hesitant to push for marijuana to be classified purely as a medicine, as opposed to a random plant anyone could have in their front yard.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
Correct. Which is why anyone should be very hesitant to push for marijuana to be classified purely as a medicine, as opposed to a random plant anyone could have in their front yard.
Well, it is not a random plant.

Growing for yourself is one thing, selling is another.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Well, it is not a random plant.

Growing for yourself is one thing, selling is another.
It is a random plant. If I grow something in my yard and someone wants to buy a portion of it, there should be absolutely no issues with conducting such a basic and routine transaction.

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
There are several things that are legal, but you can still be arrested for engaging in commerce of that product. Guns for example.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
It is a random plant. If I grow something in my yard and someone wants to buy a portion of it, there should be absolutely no issues with conducting such a basic and routine transaction.
It is not about biology. It is about the business.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Why do you say it is not quite legal? Medicines are regulated.
Pharmaceuticals are FDA approved and therefore legal under federal law. Marijuana is illegal under US Federal despite legal under some state’s laws. It creates a very odd situation.

Clearly the state wants to get their tax dollars by overseeing sales. I think that’s really what it boils down to. We’re way past being concerned about safety as far as I’m concerned when it comes to many states policies.

Reactions: Zenithal

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I tend to share the same opinions on marijuana as @A.Goldberg. I don't believe we have enough long term data to make a conclusive point on whether it's any more healthy than cigarettes or less. And its effects on the human brain which takes quite a while to develop, well past the age of 18 or 21 for that matter. I'd argue the brain continues to develop throughout the human's life, whether good or bad.

That said, while I dislike pot and am not for it, let the government legalize it. It'll cut into a major cash crop for cartels and may spur new economic growth. What grows doesn't always have to be made for consumption. The money that can come from it is high enough to pay for public works projects, which should alleviate problems the federal government has for securing and portioning off money to cities across the US when they put a grant request in.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I tend to share the same opinions on marijuana as @A.Goldberg. I don't believe we have enough long term data to make a conclusive point on whether it's any more healthy than cigarettes or less. And its effects on the human brain which takes quite a while to develop, well past the age of 18 or 21 for that matter. I'd argue the brain continues to develop throughout the human's life, whether good or bad.

That said, while I dislike pot and am not for it, let the government legalize it. It'll cut into a major cash crop for cartels and may spur new economic growth. What grows doesn't always have to be made for consumption. The money that can come from it is high enough to pay for public works projects, which should alleviate problems the federal government has for securing and portioning off money to cities across the US when they put a grant request in.
It’s already widely recognized younger developing brains do not respond well to marijuana use. It also can greatly impact things like ambition which is important factor teens and young adults. Not to mention negative effects on mental health.

And then it’s proponents present recreational marijuana as the be all, end all cure to every disease. I agree it has *some* potential medical uses (when used under the care of a doctor) but already were starting to see people who think between access to MJ and the internet it makes them a qualified medical practitioner to not only treat themselves (never a good idea), but vulnerable, trusting, elderly relatives. The blurring of lines between medical and recreational marijuana is virtually nonexistent.

At work I always try to avoid loaded conversations about marijuana IRL, but I literally had someone tell me the other day (not a healthcare provider thank god) that he “bets” he could cure 95% of cancer with marijuana...

And while people legitimately complain about the big pharma lobby, no one mentions the marijuana lobby who I think bears some responsibility in spreading misinformation and essentially breeding conspiracy theories.

From what I can see State governments have done little to ensure potential customers are informed of the potential effects and risks of marijuana. It’s laughable here in Mass they have signs everywhere from the Cannabis Control Commission encouraging people to learn more about recreational marijuana on their website... presumably related to things like safety. Their website is virtually empty though.

If any other pharmaceutical product was treated the way marijuana was (medical or recreational) people would be rightfully upset.

Reactions: Zenithal

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
It’s already widely recognized younger developing brains do not respond well to marijuana use. It also can greatly impact things like ambition which is important factor teens and young adults. Not to mention negative effects on mental health.

And then it’s proponents present recreational marijuana as the be all, end all cure to every disease. I agree it has *some* potential medical uses (when used under the care of a doctor) but already were starting to see people who think between access to MJ and the internet it makes them a qualified medical practitioner to not only treat themselves (never a good idea), but vulnerable, trusting, elderly relatives. The blurring of lines between medical and recreational marijuana is virtually nonexistent.

At work I always try to avoid loaded conversations about marijuana IRL, but I literally had someone tell me the other day (not a healthcare provider thank god) that he “bets” he could cure 95% of cancer with marijuana...

And while people legitimately complain about the big pharma lobby, no one mentions the marijuana lobby who I think bears some responsibility in spreading misinformation and essentially breeding conspiracy theories.

From what I can see State governments have done little to ensure potential customers are informed of the potential effects and risks of marijuana. It’s laughable here in Mass they have signs everywhere from the Cannabis Control Commission encouraging people to learn more about recreational marijuana on their website... presumably related to things like safety. Their website is virtually empty though.

If any other pharmaceutical product was treated the way marijuana was (medical or recreational) people would be rightfully upset.

Not to sound like an old man, but I think the concept of marijuana hurting adolescent development is lost on the masses of that age range who think a Jul is safer. The company behind the product supposedly works on preventing those under age from using their products but it's horse ****. Regardless, nicotine and marijuana pose serious issues. It's hard to figure out what's worse as they're both equally bad and problems arise later on.

I think marijuana may be useful for severe pain and prescribed by a doctor, but I'd argue it would be better off to create an adhesive epidermal delivered patch using the compounds that alleviate sharp pain rather than hand over a license to smoke pot or distribute your own marijuana as the government did and still does unless the original patients under RTI's supervision are dead now, which is likely. That said, a lot of marijuana laws were developed not to curb use but to curb immigration and enhance racism. I do believe there is an addictive substance within them, but not to cigarette like levels. My main concerns are brain development and health, regardless of age, and the disgusting smell.

I don't think the marijuana culture, as you pointed out, is doing anything good, especially for their sweeping views passed off as fact. It's hard to take people seriously when they act, sound like, and dress like idiots.

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011

Not sure how valid a comparison to cigarette is, or at the very least is going to be.

With the proliferation of edibles and vaping of concentrate, the impact on the lungs is far, far less than with cigarettes.
[doublepost=1561467273][/doublepost]
I guess shipping 21 million opioid pills into a town with a population of 3,200 is OK though.

Right now in my state, opioids are doing far more damage that legal marijuana ever could.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I guess shipping 21 million opioid pills into a town with a population of 3,200 is OK though.

Right now in my state, opioids are doing far more damage that legal marijuana ever could.
Hmmm, not sure where I suggested handing out opioids like candy should be acceptable either. I live in Massachusetts which is rampant with opioid issues and deal with those affected literally every day.

I think it’s way too early to suggest marijuana has decreased opioid addiction levels. Here in Mass the vast majority of those with opioid use disorder have a history of marijuana use. The severity of opioid epidemic is largely regional and population specific. It’s also important to note that over the past 10 years there’s been a lot of crackdown on prescription opioid prescribing, and improved public awareness and treatments.

Reactions: ouimetnick