About the Mac OS X 10.2.1 Update

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The Applecare Knowledge Base article details the new features of Mac OS 10.2.1... which hasn't yet been released.

Disc Burning Enhancements
Digital Hub and Peripheral Device Enhancements
Networking and Mail Enhancements
Printing Enhancements
Other Enhancements

The document provides details as to what the specific improvements are in each category.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Disc Burning Enhancements

Improves compatibility of burned CDs with Microsoft Windows.
Addresses a situation that could result in a failure when burning a disc using iTunes 3 and a high burn speed.
Addresses an issue in which Disk Utility could inaccurately report "problems" when scanning a disc that was burned with iTunes or in the Finder.
Adds support for various third-party disc burners, including: TDK VeloCD 241032FP and 241040F, MCE Technologies Lucid-24 24x10x24x Portable FireWire CDRW Drive, LaCie PocketCDRW 24x10x24 U&I, EZQuest Boa CDR/w 48x12x48 FireWire, Formac cdrw 40x10x40 and cdrw 48x10x40.

Digital Hub and Peripheral Device Enhancements

Decreases the amount of time Final Cut Pro takes to open, and improves iMovie compatibility when a Sony DVMC-DA1 media converter is connected to the computer.
Improves iMovie compatibility with Canopus ADVC-100 media converter.
Improves compatibility with certain (SCSI-based) scanners.
Improves compatibility of Image Capture with Epson DS (TWAIN).
Improves results when scanning in grayscale or black-and-white with Image Capture and Epson UI.
Enhances reliability when hot-swapping a FireWire-based camera on certain iMacs using Final Cut Pro.
Addresses a potential issue in which a USB keyboard or mouse is not recognized or able to wake the computer after having been connected to or disconnected from an external USB hub while the computer is in sleep.

Networking and Mail Enhancements

Addresses a situation in which certain Internet service providers (ISPs) may not accept outgoing email (SMTP) from computers using NAT and a ".local" hostname (which may be assigned by Rendezvous).
Addresses a situation in which, if the connection fails when transferring email to your computer via your network or an Internet connection, all mail not transferred is lost.
Improves Mac OS X Server performance in heavy AFP client load situations.
Improves Mac OS X Server reliability when a Mac OS 9 client attempts a scheduled AFP connection.
Resolves a potential issue in which Mail could fail to import mail messages from Eudora as expected.

Printing Enhancements

Addresses a potential situation in which Print Center would unexpectedly quit when using St. Claire Software's Default Folder X.
Improves compatibility with HP LaserJet 4V and HP LaserJet 4MV printers.
Reduces occurrences of a potential "busy; source EIO (ATALK)" alert message when printing using AppleTalk via CUPS.
Addresses an issue when printing via CUPS in which the second queued print job would automatically start if the first print job was stopped.
Addresses a potential "error -1" message in Print Center when adding a third-party USB printer.
Includes various other CUPS-related printing enhancements.

Other Enhancements

Improves potential situations in which a Web page's graphics could take an unexpectedly long time to appear in a browser window.
Improves compatibility with Microsoft Entourage.
Reduces likelihood of a potential "ticking hard drive" symptom that could be caused by IOAudio errors regularly being written to the system.log file.
Addresses a potential issue in which Mac Help may not be available following an erase-installation.
Improves compatibility of the Universal Access Zoom feature with some iBook computers.
Addresses a potential situation in which no video may appear after waking certain iBook computers that are connected to an external display or presentation device.
Addresses a situation in which a Classic application may fail to produce sound after waking from sleep.
Addresses a potential situation in which AppleTalk may not be available in the Classic environment after waking from sleep.
Addresses various potential kernel panic situations

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Any help?

Hmmm... still not able to get mail off an exchange server.

I've been reading boards and surfing the net for weeks trying to find an OSX mail app that can work with windows exchange servers... no luck thus far. I'm pretty sure at this point that no apps can do this under OSX. Not even microsoft's entourage. Not good, that means that I can't install OSX on all our work stations. I managed to get my mail in classic but for a reason or another, I have to reconfigure outlook 2001 everytime. Webmail is a workaround for the moment but an unstylish one.

I loooooove OSX but it I need it to be able to get my mail in order to use it on my workputer. Anyone had better luck than me?

This message was only 46% topic complient. Please accept my most humble excuses. :p

Seb

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
Last year, I was forced to use an exchange server extensively, and I never had a problem getting or sending mail via the exchange server. For instance, at ASU, the exchange server I had an account on was:

mainex1.asu.edu (or something like that.)

So, I created an IMAP account in Apple's Mail.app with that as the incoming mail server, and as the outgoing mail, I used

smtp.asu.edu

Login and password, as far as I remember, were standard and I didn't have to do anything special. See if that works.

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
as far as the exchange subject goes....i read this on ThinkSecret:

September 16, 2002 - Microsoft is not currently developing a Mac OS X-compatible version of its Outlook Exchange client, sources said.

Last year, Microsoft released Outlook 2001 for Mac, a milestone release which brought the Mac version of the popular corporate messaging/PIM client up to par with the Windows clients. It also helped to improve Apple's push in business environments using Exchange servers.

At the beginning of 2002, Think Secret reported that a release of Mac Outlook for OS X was unlikely, largely because of the time and resources it would require. In the ensuing months the issue became more cloudy. Microsoft, amid requests and a push from users, began considering a release and posted a survey pertaining to Mac Outlook and OS X.

In recent weeks, however, insiders speaking to Think Secret were quite clear. "There is no development on Outlook X," said one source. "Zero."

Instead, Microsoft reportedly wants to roll the Exchange compatibility into Entourage, the communications component of its four-application Office suite, which is already OS X compatible. While sources speculated that the integration of this functionality wouldn't be too difficult, security issues could be a roadblock.

This news confirms another article Think Secret posted in July, where we reported that Microsoft is toying with a new pricing scheme for Mac Office. In a survey commissioned by Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit, the company sought opinions on three possible editions of Office: a Home Edition, Standard Edition, and Professional Version. The latter, according to the survey, would include "Exchange server compatibility." Pricing possibilities for the Professional Version, as suggested by the survey, ranged from $449 to $599.

"Microsoft is in the early stages of developing an Exchange-based solution," said a spokesperson for the company, who declined to provide further details.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Does this mean that it will be available within the next couple of hours, or just that they did this unawares.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Addresses a potential "error -1" message in Print Center when adding a third-party USB printer.
Am I paranoid, or does Apple not make USB printers? Could this (the third-party part, not the rest) be an indication that Apple is going to make printers again? Or have they always included the third party thing? Sorry if I'm being annoying, just trying to look at possibilities.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Yay! They gave my CD burner compatibility!

Actually they put compatibility BACK. It worked fine with 10.1. Lousy bums...

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by Scab Cake
Last year, I was forced to use an exchange server extensively, and I never had a problem getting or sending mail via the exchange server. For instance, at ASU, the exchange server I had an account on was:

mainex1.asu.edu (or something like that.)

So, I created an IMAP account in Apple's Mail.app with that as the incoming mail server...
This only work if the exchange server is configured for POP3 or IMAP, ours isn't. Also, POP3 or IMAP would't allow our mail client to use all the options like scheduling meetings and accessing co-workers agendas.

Well, seems that they might support exchange in the next entourage release but I don't expect an office x revision before next year.

Seb

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Ahh, Apple, you guys are such a tease! I sure hope their "Addresses various potential kernel panic situations" includes my Sonnet Tempo ATA/100 card... please oh please...

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Any help?

Originally posted by srobert
Hmmm... still not able to get mail off an exchange server.
I don't have to live with an Exchange server these days, but it seems odd that you wouldn't be able to get mail off it. All Exchange servers I've worked with used the POP3 and/or IMAP protocols for mail, which Jaguar's built-in Mail app does with no problem. I do know that every Windows mail client I used (Eudora and Pegasys included) worked just fine with the Exchange POP3 service.

Might be an option for the Exchange admin to use POP3 instead of something proprietary. I've worked in two Exchange offices, though, and they both had POP3 enabled (I'm not sure if the first had IMAP as well, but the second did).

On the other hand, getting calendaring etc working with the Exchange server is nigh impossible in OS X, I am afraid.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO

This only work if the exchange server is configured for POP3 or IMAP, ours isn't. Also, POP3 or IMAP would't allow our mail client to use all the options like scheduling meetings and accessing co-workers agendas.

Well, seems that they might support exchange in the next entourage release but I don't expect an office x revision before next year.

Seb
Why don't you have them use Exchange Web mail?

That aside it is irritating that MS or somebody else hasn't developed a way to access Exchange through a Mac client.

meddle

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Exchange

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seb

Why don't you have them use Exchange Web mail?

That aside it is irritating that MS or somebody else hasn't developed a way to access Exchange through a Mac client.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seb, Ryan's right that the way I have to use exchange. I use Entourage for OS X and if I want the other stuff I go to the web. I f***ing hate exchange but our company got conned it to it. Also you it not likely it will really come to the Mac. The OS 9 exchange client was a program to wrap up the web interface any how.

AngusB

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
Isub Compatibility in 10.2.1

Does anybody know if the distortion problems with the ISub have been cleared up in 10.2.1...I am tired of my Subwoofer sounding like crap!

Angus

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by arn

Improves compatibility with certain (SCSI-based) scanners.

mmkay let's pretend that this includes my very very old HP scanjet. what app could I use to bring pix in then?

also, is there any support for the 48x burners that don't cost an arm and a leg? (like I've seen some PC firewire ones for like ~$100)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
There's one definite solution to accessing an exchange server via an OS X machine:
VPC

Not the greatest performance, but hey, it's just email and calendaring...;)

lsochrin

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2002
No fix yet for attachment problem?

With all the comments on Apple discussion boards about the problem that people are having getting Windows users to consistently read attachments in Mail.app, I'm hoping that they pulled back 10.2.1 in order to add a fix for that. The typical poster to that topic says that they are going to have to use Entourage, because this isn't a problem using Entourage. Both are supposedly using AppleDouble, but Entourage's Windows recipients can open the attachments, whereas Mail's Windows recipients often cannot. Seems like a critical problem to me, since what good is a mail program if you can't consistently trust the program to send documents that can be read? :confused:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I just hope it is out soon. I have one of those TDK CD burners, and having support in iTunes would be really nice.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by scem0
I just hope it is out soon. I have one of those TDK CD burners, and having support in iTunes would be really nice.
Yup, same here. Firewire TDK VeloCD 24x16x32. Man that thing burns like a bat out of hell...Full CD in 2 minutes.