About time might be able to buy unlocked Iphones in the US what do you guys think

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elyah, Jun 12, 2011.

1. elyah macrumors member

Unlocked iPhones Headed to U.S. Apple Stores This Week?: Apple could start selling unlocked iPhones in its retai... http://bit.ly/m5leBA

2. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

o_O

I can think of better ways to spend $700+ than on an unlocked iPhone. :eek:

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Mmm that's great. I dread to think of the price of a new unsubsidized iPhone though :eek:

4. wxman2003 Suspended

As usual, consumers always get screwed. Remember several years ago the big 3 companies told Congress how they would open their market to unlocked phones? Yea, that really worked out. The phones should be unlocked if I choose to pay full price.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

In recent years, this wasn't an issue for me when I paid full retail. AT&T happily provided the unlock code when I asked.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't pay full priced for an unlocked iPhone since I use AT&T anyways.
    If they want to unlock my iPhone for me though, that'd be great since I'm out of my AT&T contract and I'm paying by the month.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

My next iphone will be unlocked. International roaming charges suck.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I live in Canada and we have those. I think it's ridiculous that, even when someone from the USA buys a phone full retail directly from the company that makes it, it would be locked to a carrier.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T will do this for any phone, except the iphone. It doesn't matter the circumstance, they will not unlock the iphone--until they're forced to.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I know that in other countries, buying an iPhone for full price has an affect on your bill (generally you get a lower bill by buying the phone outright) but in the US, whether you buy it from AT&T or get a factory unlocked one from Canada ... you still pay the same rate plan. The only thing is, you are not in a contract.

11. Grimsrud macrumors member

I just bought an unlocked 32GB iPhone 4 (originally from Hong Kong) a couple months ago on eBay. I paid $840 for it, so it will be interesting to see how much Apple is going to charge for these new unlocked US phones.

12. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm scared to even think how much Apple will charge for this. But I guess its better than paying international roaming charges on AT&T.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep you can get iPhone sim only packages for £20 that include unlimited data and txts with 600-1200 minutes of talk time. What would that set u back over there??

Over here some people are happy keeping a phone past 18 months. Some like me are out of contract and happy to pay full price to apple because I don't want to be tied to a contract.

14. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

In Canada is it possible to buy an unlocked phone for full retail over the counter at Apple or another retailer? I tried to do this while I was in Singapore for work and Apple only sells the phones thru the website and would have required the phone to be shipped. Is this also the case in Canada or can I just walk into a retail store and buy one w/o contract?

15. Azzin macrumors 68040

That's me.

I've been SIM Only for a few years now.

I bought the original iPhone 2G when O2 were clearing them out to make way for the 3G (£159?).

I then got a 3G from a guy that was desperate to get a 3GS on launch day!

I kept that until I got my iPhone 4 on launch day last year (and will be keeping it until next year).

I was on O2's SIM Only deal but moved to Vodafone due to constant O2 outages.

I've just moved to 3 and pay £25 per month for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 3 to 3 minutes (useless I don't know anyone on 3!) and truly unlimited data.

I hate the idea of having a phone that's carrier locked (not to mention being in an 18/24 month contract) and will always buy outright in the future.

16. nitemare, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

nitemare macrumors regular

Hate to burst anyones bubble thinking that its NOT gonna be unlocked iPhones coming out on wednesday but if you look at the model numbers of the current Macbook Airs MC503, MC504, MC505, MC506. these new numbers will be the updated Macbook airs with the flash memory

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Apple wouldn't reuse the model numbers. It'll probably be the unlocked iPhones. I wonder if AT&T will start offering unlocks

18. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

AT&T won't start offering unlocks to iPhones. It's all in their interest to protect their market share. I normally go outside of the US to get my unlocked units which are fully factory unlocked. This way I can change my micro SIMs at will. I see it as an investment in a good phone since my monthly bill can easily skyrocket to over $3k if I have to roam. I'm not a fan of the new international roaming policies set up worldwide. With the VOIP lines set up over telecom systems nowadays, it's a little stupid to have such high roaming charges. I would rather give my money to the manufacturer for a good unlocked phone rather than give it to the carrier who's trying to rip me off.

19. nitemare macrumors regular

they usually change them to one model number higer hence the leaked model numbers being MC603 etc

20. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I would drop the cash on the unlocked phone if there was a benefit to it, but there isn't. The carriers don't give you a price break even though they don't have to subsidize it, so all i'd be doing is inflating their profit margin. No thanks.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

even if you got it with only 450 minutes, thats $90, or £55.21

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

$90? Lets get it closer to what Gav's plan actually is.

900 voice minutes $59
    4 GB data w/tethering $45
    Unlimited Texts $20

= $124 (£76)

(And that still falls short as it's not unlimited data.)

23. profets macrumors 68040

Its about time they start selling them unlocked, especially if you're paying a non-subsidized price and their is no longer an exclusivity agreement with AT&T.

If you want to buy one in person you can only do so at the Apple store.

24. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Yey for unlocked phones!

I've never bought and will never buy a locked phone.

I buy sim only card from whichever carrier offers me a better and deal and that's it.

Those of you saying it's expensive, do you realize how much you end up paying for a subsidized phone?

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Those of us saying it's expensive live in the US (and don't travel internationally). For us there is no cost saving associated with having an unlocked phone. You just pay an extra $500 up front and get nothing in return.