About to be a parent, need the best way to share the pics...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tilpots, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Hope I'm posting in the right spot...

So, I'm preparing to be a proud Papa and I want to set up a website/blog to share pictures and stories with family and friends spread throughout the country. My niece's parents use blogger.com and it's been a great way to keep up with them. I've looked into it and it seems like it could work well, but I wanted to see if there were some other ideas you all have seen that work better.

I've never built a website or a blog before but I still got a couple months to learn. I'd be looking for a FREE solution, also. Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Congrats to you and your wife!
    Do you have iWeb? This is by far the easiest way to do it. If not then you can use the following WYSIWYG products.

Photoblog
    Flickr Blog
    Shutterfly
    Pbase

Any of those really.

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks Jessica! I'll take a look at each of them. Saw your sig, moving to my neck of the woods?

4. Mitou macrumors regular

congratulations on the happy happening.
    I agree iWeb is by far the easiest and you will be able to publish your photos directly from your iphoto.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

6. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

With iWeb, do I need to have Mobile Me or my own website to publish to, or can I use it to customize a page on a free service like Blogger? I played around with iWeb for a little while last night before I went to bed and it did seem very user friendly. This is looking like a great way to create a page for a beginner like me, but I want to understand where I can publish to. Sorry, but I'm a total newb with the web stuff.:eek:

Cool looking software. It looks very easy to use. But can't iPhoto export a slideshow if I'm using iWeb? I've never tried it and I'm at work now so I can't test it out.

7. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

To publish photo's I use jalbum (and iphoto to jalbum) on a server that's sitting under the stairs at home. What you want to consider is if you want to publish the photo's to the entire world or on a password protected site/server? Personally I don't like the idea that my childrens pictures are viewable by the entire world.

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat as the OP and have begun creating an iWeb site which I can utilize my mobileme account. However, hosting my own and passwording it sounds good too. Can't you enable password access on iWeb sites though? And if you wouldn't mind, could you post your config? I have a mini I could use as the server but how would I go about it? Thanks.

9. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Yes, you can use passwords on iweb sites. Haven't tried it, because I don't use iweb, but the help has a page on it: "Protecting a site with a password".

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yes, but PTM makes far cooler and better quality slideshows. You can just drop them into iWeb like movies. To be honest, I used to put my family photos and movies into iWeb, but I wasn't writing a blog so iWeb was unnecessary work just to show photos. Now I just upload them to the Mobile Me gallery, which is a lot easier.

Anyway, if you want you can PM me and I'll send my first family Photo to Movie effort to you so you can see what it's about.

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

congrats on being a daddy !

2 thing's - take lot's of photo's & lot's of movies and make sure you print out and burn to dvd all your stuff!

a flickr account is ideal for showing off your new arrival :)

12. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

PM'd you.

Thanks! I plan on capturing every moment! I looked into flickr blogs, but the site doesn't really explain what having a blogging account gets you. Any ideas, or an example of a flickr blog page?

13. Mitou macrumors regular

iWeb is extremely intuitive and easy; it was designed with people like you in mind. People who don't want to spend hours with their site instead of their new baby.
    You do not need mobileme but you will need a place to display your site. You can publish to a folder and upload it to a free server if you wish but it is far simpler if you have mobileme as one click will take care of everything for you. It does cost about $100 a year and to me it is worth it for all the advantages that it gives the non professional web builder. You can create a blog where family member can post comments. That also is possible without mobile me but much easier with it, same goes for the password if you wish to keep your pages private that is only possible if you use mobileme.
    I hope this helps you.

14. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

What I am finding (just food for thought) is that going with a web host (such as godaddy or whatever else) you get to choose the sitename.com. Using mobileme, you are limited to <username>.me.com. For me, it's easier to tell my family members something like soloredd.com.

15. Mitou macrumors regular

I don't know where you got that information but it is incorrect, you can buy your domain name from godaddy (that where I buy mine) and then make the necessary changes with your mobile me so that yourname.com is what you use but you still have one click publishing and all the trimmings that come with it.