About to buy a MB of CL and Want some advice interms of questions or things to check

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mashinhead, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I found a macbook on CL and the users claim is:

Had this macbook for 1+ year (no warranty) and one day the screen decided to play dead. I dont have time to take it and get it fixed, so i'm selling it as is.

Everything else is FUNCTIONAL. When you boot it up, you can hear the fan and the CPU running, superdrive works and webcam is functional. So i'm pretty sure its just either an lcd issue or a backlight issue.

if it is just the screen that needs to be replaced then i want it, but he says that it maybe be a backlight issue. What's the difference? is that the same as replacing the screen? Is there anything else i can should know or ask. He already mentioned that he will provide a monitor and me a cable to hook it up to see that everything else is working. But if anyone else knows what could cause this issue or anything else to watchout for that would be great.

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I'm pretty sure the back light is controlled by a separate part. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Take a look to see if the top half of the laptop sits directly on top of the lower half when its closed. If they are askew, it was probably dropped and there is a screen signal cable issue (which is not a problem to fix if you're comfortable doing a little surgery).

Really, if the price is right, go for it!

4. eman macrumors 6502a

The backlight issue could be a couple of things:
    A. Bad inverter ( about $20, fix yourself) Located in clutch cover in the toplid (between the hinges).
    B. LCD (about $180, fix yourself). Light could have burned out in LCD.

Could also be the logic board problem due to a liquid spill. If you're buying the macbook cheap enough, then I say go for it (you didn't state any price). When the macbook is booted up, shine a light in/at the LCD screen and see if you can faintly see the desktop screen. If you can faintly see the LCD screen, your problem will most likely be option A or B.

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

the laptop is $480 asking. if it is a logic board issue i would stay away, but see as how he says everything else works, and i can test it. i wouldn't say its that. but in the even it is an lcd or backlight issue how would i diagnose one from the other?

6. eman macrumors 6502a

They both have the same end result, the light in the LCD will not turn on. The inverter is cheaper and I would replace that first. $480 is a little high in my opinion. If you have to put $200 in this macbook, you can find another macbook for less than $700 on ebay and not do any work. A buying price of $400 might give you a little more room for repairs. Are you getting all the accessories (remote, restore discs, shipping box and charger)?

7. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

i don't know if i'm getting the box. the reason it's a good deal is it's a core 2 duo, superdrive, maxed out ram. i can get one for $600 but thats a 1.83 core duo with nothing in it (and these are the only ones that go for 650-700 range and even those are hard to find. i've been looking for the last couple weeks). I mean i would definately upgrade the hdd and the ram no matter what i get. the superdrive i never use anyway, but the processor might be worth it.

8. eman macrumors 6502a

The macbook core 2 duo came out in November 2006 and is about 1.5 years old now. I see macbook core 2 duo's selling on ebay for less than $700 all the time, like this one.
    This macbook had a 2.16GHz Intel core 2 duo processor, 120GB hard drive, superdrive (memory is so cheap now) and sold for $685 shipped.
    Just my two cents.