About to buy an iPhone 5 - A few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macaroooon, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm making so many threads, I'm just so new to all this I want to make the right decisions before I spend however much I will and buy a new phone.

1) 32, or 64GB

I have an iTouch, 8GB and it is nearly full (saying that I don't know why, I only have 600 songs and a few apps!

But realistically, I'll be using this phone as an iPod, Phone, Camera, Organsizer and definitely have quite a few apps. I'd like room for about 5000 songs, a few thousand photos, and perhaps 100 apps + the phone side of things, and still feel I've got room for more if I wanted.

I was going to go with the 64GB, as I thought better be safe than sorry, and £100 for double the capacity seems pretty good, but what you recommend?

2) How much internet

I was going to go with 500MB, as I doubt I'll be on it the whole time, but what does 500MB give you, from someone who uses internet on their iPod's point of view?

(I might add a few more questions, but I'll try and keep it all in this thread)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't have much apps or music, the 32gb will be more then enough.

I'd start off with the 1g for bandwidth and then monitor your usage to see if it needs to be adjusted up or down.

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I see. I'm going to go get a Sim Only contract (Probably) so I suppose I could start with a 1 month one of 1 GB, see what I used and then decide from there which 12 month contract I take out.

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I'd definitely go for 1GB data - I don't hammer the data and use Wifi at work and home yet easily go past 500MB. I reached 1GB last month before the counter was reset at the end of my billing period.

5. Surrylic macrumors regular

If you have the extra money and it's no big deal to spend, then I guess you might as well go for the 64GB. I personally wouldn't need over 32GB (I don't keep much music), but honestly who knows how much space 1080p video recording with the new camera will take up, or how high of a quality you have your songs recorded at. Or what apps you get... like I could have 50 apps on my iPhone and only be using 400MB of space, or I could download Garageband and that alone uses over 700MB. If you want your whole music collection on there plus all the apps you want, 64GB is a safer bet.

In regards to your data useage, I would definitely pick 1GB for the first month and see what you use. My guess is you'll use a little more data than normal in your first month based on how you'll be playing with the phone more when it's brand new... but overtime it'll start to crawl up again because videos streaming will require more data, and websites will be larger, and LTE will get you more things faster so you can browse more, and the iCloud ecosystem will continue to expand to do more things which of course will use more data, etc.

6. taedouni macrumors 65816

7. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

THank you all so far.

You see, this will be my first smart phone, so I've never used internet on my mobile before, so don't know what my usage will be.

But I reckon you're right with trying to start at 1GB - so this brings me on to finding a cheap Sim Only contract, preferably £10 or under.