About to buy iPad 16gb for sister's birthday. QUESTIONS!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Funkymonk, May 1, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

so just going to buy the base $500 model since she'll just use it for home.

are all the light bleed issues worked out?
    is it actually a non issue everybody is freaking out about?
    you guys think I'll be able to sell it for $450ish before the ipad 3 comes out? she always wants the latest and greatest and I know I'll have to sell it so she can get the 3rd generation.
    would the white ipad be easier to sell than the black?

question for the ladies, would a girly girl like the pink smart cover? it's her favorite color but honestly it looks like pepto bismol to me and a bit nauseating. not sure if she'll like it...

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

1. Nope

2. Depends on the person, Some people don't like having spotlights on their screen when they are trying to watch video's at night time, Others accept it and keep there iPad how it is.

3. Probably

4. I think they will both be able to sell equally

3. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Does she wear other pink are lavender accessories ? What colors does she have in her bedroom ?

I like the pink cover, but I got the blue cover so my husband would not feel embarrassed while using it. ;)

4. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

her accessories cover every color in the rainbow. she has pretty neutral colors in her room. I'm thinking of getting the blue cover so I can use it in public too :eek: but I know pink is her favorite color so idk..

5. ea9 macrumors regular

just get her the ipad... she can get her preferred color after. trust me, girls are way too complicated.

6. ani23 macrumors 6502

are all the light bleed issues worked out?

Nope

is it actually a non issue everybody is freaking out about?

Mostly

you guys think I'll be able to sell it for $450ish before the ipad 3 comes out?

Dont bet on it

she always wants the latest and greatest and I know I'll have to sell it so she can get the 3rd generation.
    would the white ipad be easier to sell than the black?

Nope. If u ar thinking of selling already don't buy.

question for the ladies, would a girly girl like the pink smart cover?

I got the white with red leather smart cover for sis though red takes while to ship

it's her favorite color but honestly it looks like pepto bismol to me and a bit nauseating. not sure if she'll like it...

Get leather has a better feel. If she doesn't lie it exchange.

7. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

1. No. Light bleed is inherent with the technology. Unless she's at max brightness it should be a non-issue.
    2. I think so, yes. I sold my 1st Gen iPad 16GB WiFi for 450 exactly and I paid 529 I think after tax all said and done. I did sell about 1 month before iPad 2 was announced, so timing is crucial.
    3. I think both will sell equally.

Finally, get a color she likes. Pink is definitely girl-like and I personally believe the only gender-specific color offered.

The green and blue can go both ways but both look sweet! I have blue with a white iPad and I'm as manly as they come, i'm a 240lb gym rat lol, I'm sure people think 'wtf?!?' when they see me with it haha.

Also, awesome move for a brother. Your sister is lucky to have such a cool bro!

EDIT: Also, I would avoid leather smartcover, they have a tendency to get dirty and stay dirty, and they crack easily. Poly is definitely the best option.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

The light bleed is a defect and very real. Those who say otherwise simply have a good one.

There is no such thing as it being normal for the technology.

The good news is Apple is aware of it and is happy to replace it. My first one was horrible, the replacement has no bleed at all.

I'd buy with the confidence that you'll get an exchange if you get a bad one. Customer service from Apple is excellent.

9. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Ok I was able to get her to tell me that she likes the black ipad better with a pink smart cover without suspecting anything. Guess I'll pick that up tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. Now I just hope an ipad 3 doesn't release this year :p

10. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I'm a girly girl and I have a white iPad with pink cover and love it. I'm sure she'll be pleased just to get an iPad from you. I'd die if my brother ever spent that kind of cash on my birthday gift :)

11. Funkymonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I should be able to pick up a base black ipad tomorrow correct? or are there still supply issues? a few of my friends don't me they had to buy a white ipad because the black ones get sold out quick. damnit

12. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

I think black would have a better resale value cause
    black = professional = white collared professionals buy them = richer = willing to pay more.
    Pardon me for my somewhat immature thinking. :rolleyes: