About to buy iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cshama, Dec 19, 2011.

1. cshama macrumors newbie

Is the iPhone 4s worth the extra $100 over the iPhone 4. About to make a decision.

My digital camera just went on the blink is the 4s camera good enough to replace a stand alone camera for an amateur?

Is Siri just a gimmick?

On a AT&T is the 4s much faster on the internet?

Thanks for the replies

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There are many little advantage, but if you're thinking about having your iPhone be your only camera I'd suggest the better camera in the 4S is worth it for you.

Yes, the iPhone 4 camera is good, but since you're saying this might be your only camera I'd put the extra $100 towards having the best photos you can.

So what I'm saying is, get the 4S without even thinking about Siri or 3G+ or the faster processor.

3. ET iPhone Home, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

For me, $100 extra is worth the cost difference. Speed (on wi-fi), 8 MP Camera, and over the air Updates, these alone, are worth having the 4S.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I agree, go for the 4S. I have a 4 and use it as my digital camera, and the 4S improved camera made it a tough decision to not upgrade. I decided to hold my upgrade eligibility to see what the next iPhone "is".

Also, if it's important to you, the 4S (as a newer, higher spec'ed phone) should have a higher resale value than the 4.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm still rocking my iP4 from last year and I see no difference to the iP4S TBH. I'm leapfrogging it until the iPhone 5 is out.

----------

You get that on all iOS 5 devices.

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

7. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Siri is hit and miss depending on your accent and what you want to use it for. I love it especially for texting while driving and setting up reminders/appointments. It has worked great for me.

I have a really excellent point and shoot (basically a consumer-grade version of the Canon S90), the iPhone 4S camera is not quite up to par with it but it is comparable and I will end up taking a lot more photos with the iPhone than the Canon. I do find the 4S auto-white balance better than the Canon. Video on the 4S kills the Canon.

Also don't forget the 16GB on the 4S vs 8GB on the 4.

Processor and GPU in the 4S are substantial improvements over the 4.

Personally, if you look at what you will spend over the life of the 2-year contract($1000+), the $100 is small potatoes to get a much better phone.

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

You would be retarded to not get the 4s instead of the 4.

You are going to spend over 20x more on the contract over 2 years than on the price difference between the 4s and 4. And the 4S will have better resale value in the end. Not to mention its faster, has a better camera, better antenna, etc.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's fine, and good advice for someone in your place, but surely you can see that upgrading an iPhone is a very different thing from buying a first iPhone?

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you're looking to save a bit of money, might as well get the iP4 because they're basically identical in functionality aside from Siri, that's all I'm saying.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

How long did you use the 4S before reverting back to your 4?

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if i had to buy a phone, i'd buy the iPhone 4.

if someone was to give me a phone, i'd accept the iPhone 4S

:eek:

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I used one for a day, it was a relative's. During that time, it was a little snappier, but otherwise exactly the same as my current iPhone.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

If you're going from a 4 to a 4s, IMO not worth it, but if this is your 1st 1Phone or you have a 3GS or older, go for the 4s. I have both and the 4s is faster, better camera and you'll probably get 1 year more for iOS updates than the 4 in the future. The camera on the 4s is really good also. I now don't see a need to carry a point and shoot at all anymore (the 4 is good also, not saying it isn't)

The antenna now look the same on the 4 and 4s, so I am guessing you'll have no issues with the antenna on either of them like some people did when the 4 1st came out.

Both of them will come with iOS 5 so you will get over the air updates. Siri, it's fun to play but I don't use it all that much, some use it a lot.

15. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Hmmm... Okay.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that a one-day trial really allows fair perspective between the devices. Either way, with the OP saying that they want to replace their p/s camera, I'd obviously go with the one that has the better built-in camera option. It's an extra $100 and will no dobut recoupe that in resale should they choose to go that route.

As far as everything else, I honestly haven't had a ton of hands-on time with the iphone 4 (aside from helping my dad and father-in-law with various settings) so I couldn't comment on processor speed differences or any other hardware changes between them. All I know is that a decent p/s camera is going to be $100 or more and then you still have to carry around two devices. I'd rather consolidate knowing that you can then re-sell the device when the iPhone 5 comes out should you choose to do so. That's just my personal opinion.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd go for the 4S. As someone else said, with the 4, you only get 8GB of space, no option for more. I personally can't imagine being happy with only 8GB...it's just not enough for me to be able to use it without having to swap stuff out constantly. For $100 more you get the 4S with 16GB of space (room for lots of photos), Siri, better camera, faster speed, etc. If you were upgrading it would be a more difficult decision, but since you're going from nothing to an iPhone, might as well go for the 4S.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I agree. I'd wait for the 5, but OP's choices were 4 and 4S and wanted to know if $100 was worth the difference. If OP can wait Summer/Fall 2012, I'd definitely wait then, otherwise, I'd choose the 4S over 4 for an additional $100.

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

ya that's the only thing i like about the 4S.. it's a lot faster than my iPhone 4. but still, not enough for me to upgrade.