About to buy Macbook Pro; do I wait or do I go, and, some nerd q's re: hardware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by natesayer, Apr 24, 2008.

1. natesayer macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm excited that I'm about to buy a Macbook Pro: now that Apple smartened up enough to get them good video hardware, they are hands-down the best all-around portable power machines (if you can shell out the dough.) Hello, OSX.

Yes, with this generation, the 512mb GeForce 8600M GT was introduced for the 15" and 17" models. Since I work in graphics, this is a requisite. I'm about to buy. I have a few pseudo-nerdy questions:

• I need to buy this gen MBP, but I'm totally comfortable buying refurb. Any idea when this gen's refurbs will start to come back?
    • Follow-up: If we're talking months from now, what's the cheapest way to get a MBP today? I'm a student, I have a friend at an Apple store, I work at a non-profit... so I have options.
    • What's the deal with the LED screens? Some forums say they're on the 15" and 17" on all displays, Apple store says they're only on the 17" high-res display. And, there's a difference between LED backlighting and an actual LED screen?
    • Currently I work on a Dell 17" high-res display at 1920x1200, the same as the high-res MBP. I can tell you, for my eyes, the high res sucks. The only way to increase the size of text and graphics is to artificially magnify or change screen DPI, and with Vista, and from what I understand OSX still, these options work shaky at best. So I'm swinging for the low-res display as a preference unless some high-res folks can tell me they have average vision and are comfortable with the text, or know of a way to magnify cleanly. (I tried to check this out at an Apple Store, first of all their "geniuses" got schooled by these simple questions, second they didn't have a high-res for me to try.)

Okay, a lot there. I really appreciate your help folks. And I'm very excited about this, and naturally as you Mac savants can understand, I'm very particular about how I go abaht it!

Nate

2. f1 macrumors 6502

I can't help you much other than with discounts. My friend used to work for Apple and she was able to get 15% off for friends. Educational discount for the MBP is 200 dollars and if you work for a non profit you could qualify for a small biz discount of up to 5% you do the math.

3. illidian macrumors 6502

Amazon's prices beat Apple's Education Store. Your friend, however, may be able to get you a better deal.

Refurbs come and go randomly, there's no way to predict it.