About to buy new 3 TB. TC but I want to make sure about something..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matrix07, Mar 6, 2014.

1. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

1. This will backup 2 MacBooks.
    2. And it will also houses all media files for iPhoto and iTunes.

What I want to know is:
    1. How do I backup these media files? What is the best way?
    2. Can Apple TV access these media files directly? (when all Macbook is shut down, for example.)
    3. Do I need to make another partition for these media files?
    4. Is it wise to store media files on TC? (TC could works too hard, shorter life etc.)

Thanks in advance.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

To be frank, the TC is better of without partitions acting only as a backup device for your two Mac's, and providing wifi and extra ethernet ports for your extra equipment. Backing up your music and photo libraries is a job for another device. I have three that I use..

Promise Pegasus R4 ( expensive and probably not required)
    2TB USB 3WD in a custom enclosure which backs up these libraries.
    4TB Seagate USB3 which mirrors the R4

With USB 3 drives so cheap now, it's better to leave the TC to do the backups, excluding those folders you wish to backup elsewhere from the backup set.

3. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you. I'm trying to consolidate everything so think it'll be cool for one tower to store them all.

Still figuring out how to back up those media files though. Might do it to an external connecting to my Macbook Pro but still unsure of how, or even if it's a good idea.

Can Apple TV directly access media files store all these drives?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If it helps, my Aperture photo library is backed up to the R4 which in turn is backed up to my 4TB Seagate. My media library which is huge is in the same two locations.

My 3TB TC takes care of the rest, I exclude X-Plane as my installation runs at 300GB which is also backed up to the Seagate.

All daily stuff is taken care of via the TC which also provides wifi and four connections for ATV's. Smart TV etc. This system works well for me and I don't mess with the TC's partition...It carries two bundles, one for my iMac, one for my rMBP.

5. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

What app do you use for backing up those drives?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No app, just discipline. My 4TB movie library is pretty much done..I add the odd Blu-Ray as I buy, but I have so much stuff that It would take years to watch it all. Movies, documentaries Star Trek all complete, but also not likely to be added to.

If I add something, its MKV>Handbrake> R4 Seagate,

Itunes music which is more dynamic is backed up to the TC.

Once a month I simply export my Aperture libraries to the R4 and Seagate overwriting the old one.

7. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

I see.

In this case, an iCal event could help. Hmm...

Thank you for describing your scenario. It looks really clean software and data-wise

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Been working well for me for years, although I've had to invest in some USB drives, these are dirt cheap now, and plenty fast too.

I don't need the speed of the R4 to stream my movies etc. the Seagate does it fine.

9. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

OK. Now there is 2 scenarios.

Macman45's
    A TC for Time Machine backup only, and a bunch of drives attached to TC for media files and their backups.
    This looks really clean data-wise and I can save some money 'cause 2 TB. TC will be enough.
    But hardware-wise it's a bit messy. A few drives plus a printer connected to a powered hub to TC.

My original scenario
    A TC for Time Machine *and* media files. This is clean hardware-wise. Only a printer connected to the USB. No hub. No drives. But I need a 3 TB. one.
    The problem is how to back up those media files on TC. I guess Macman54's method still works. Just copy it to somewhere else.
    But the problem remains: Will the TC work too hard?

And both scenarios, I'm still not sure which is better for Apple TV to access all media files.

So all the suggestions still welcomed. I have 'til this monday to buy.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Your ATV will work fine with even a USB 2 drive, so no worries there...It really isn't messy..( see shot):)

The R4 and the Seagate ( pictured next to my Asus BRD) live next to my iMac.

The second drive is in the bedroom for use with my rMBP

Attached Files:

11. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Many thanks. It can looks great if the box looks great, I guess. Encouraging. :D

12. mneblett macrumors 6502

Allow me to suggest that you think of the Time Capsule as nothing more than a "convenience" backup.

By that I mean that you should be regularly backing up your files to a separate drive (or two), with the TC there only to do hourly back ups between the regular "maintenance" backups without your having to remember to do so (so you never lose more than an hour's work).

As far as serving your media, when your Macs are shut down, the media isn't available, and the media can't be extracted from the TC sparse bundles. A separate media drive is needed (a USB 2 HD plugged into the TC is one option). You'll have to manually transfer your media to the separate drive (and it should also be separately backed up, so that failure of the media drive doesn't wipe out all your content).

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd agree with this...restoring an entire system from a sparse bundle image works, but it takes forever...I've used it to reinstate my iTunes library and that wasn't too bad...took about an hour, but it's a large library. It's why I keep all mission critical and memorable data backed up to external sources...whichever method you choose, that's a good policy to adopt.

14. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

I'm not sure I fully understand this. All media files will be stored *outside* Time Machine backup. I can't access this with Apple TV if my Macbook is shut down?

----------

This is discouraging. I plan to migrate my system from TC when I'll buy new Macbook. Sounds like this shouldn't be the way to go.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No because even though the files are still available on the networked drives even with the Macbook off, you need iTunes running to serve up the files to the AppleTV.

It depends on how much data you have. If you have a newer Macbook and say the hard drive dies. You would put in a new drive then use Internet recovery to install the OS onto the new drive. At the end of the OS install you would point to the Time Capsule to bring your apps and data back in. So you would not be restoring the OS off the Time Capsule (although you can if you want).

So sure, if you have 500GB of music that needs to get restored/migrated this way, it will take a while, but just apps and some other data won't take long at all.

It is not like you will do this weekly. Even if you do have a lot of data to migrate, just let it run overnight if you need to.

16. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you.

Damn. I thought Apple TV can grab music folder like iTunes can. Looks like I need to read its manual quick.

App+data will be no more than 200 GB. Looks like this could be done. I'm happy. :p

17. ColdCase, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

"1. This will backup 2 MacBooks.
    2. And it will also houses all media files for iPhoto and iTunes.

What I want to know is:
    1. How do I backup these media files? What is the best way?
    2. Can Apple TV access these media files directly? (when all Macbook is shut down, for example.)
    3. Do I need to make another partition for these media files?
    4. Is it wise to store media files on TC? (TC could works too hard, shorter life etc.)

Thanks in advance."

Currently AppleTV needs itunes running on a computer somewhere. A time Capsule is not going to help you.

What many here do is pick up a refurbbed mac mini and use it as the backup storage for your devices (instead of a time capsule) as well as the iTunes server. Minis run on so little power, they can be 24/7 devices. You don't need much computer power for this.

The mini, being a real computer, can run any backup utility on it you want, including time machine to an attached USB drive.

Personally I have my 2TB Itunes video and music library on a 4TB external drive and use CarbonCopyCloner to backup that drive over the network to another 4TB drive. It is set to backup automatically once a day during the wee hours of the morning.

You can certainly make a bunch of other things work, but if you don't want to use one of your existing machines as a itunes media server/backup mule combo, either pick up a mini (or upgrade one of your existing computers and put the old one into media service duty).

Now you can also use that mini to drive your TV monitor and audio system instead of an apple TV. Lots of different ways to skin that cat. But starting with the proper tools helps.

So my suggestion is to forget about the time capsule and put that money toward a mini. Buy a backup type USB drive to attach to the mini for the family backups (including the mini's). If the internal drive is large enough to store your itunes video and music library, use it for that. If not, pick up another two drives and store the library on one and backup the library to the other using CCC. A little more money, but you will be a much happier camper in the long run. And you can certainly kluge something else together for less money.

18. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yeah, I need to make some changes to the plan but this..

Can you control mini, playing songs, video or slide show, with a remote control?

19. ColdCase, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Short answer is yes, but I'm not sure what the basis of your question is...

If you set up an itunes library on the mini and share it, then any device, including an AppleTV, can access the shared media and you would use the device controls. You would not be controlling the mini (it just sends the video/music file to the device requesting it, the device controls playback). On the laptops you would open itunes, point it at the mini shared library and use the laptop controls to select and play whatever you want, it just looks like a iTunes library. On the AppleTV you would use its remote to select the mini shared library and the AppleTV will present a menu tree of songs and video to select from. iPads, iPhones would work the same way. Each device could be playing the same movie or song independently.

If you are using the mini to drive a TV (instead of an AppleTV) then there are several methods to control what the mini displays via a remote. Many use a PLEX server/client. In that case, the home theater subforum would contain more info and may be of more help to you, well you may get better help there anyway: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

20. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you for a thorough answer. I kinda think a mini is a way to go now. :eek:

And since I should begin with a mini, Which model you recommend? I'll connect it directly to a TV.
    Will a refurbished 2011 model do? I notice a current model has an IR receiver but the previous model doesn't have one. Have no idea what it's for. Is it necessary?

21. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I know just enough about minis to be dangerous, but I think the question comes up often in the mini forum (i.e. the best value model for driving a TV). You may want to take a look.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Oh I think need to run the OSX server app ($20 I think) if you intend to use the mini as a time machine backup repository for your laptops. No big deal.

22. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thanks.

Some interesting threads there. :p