Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
About to give my iPhone 5S to someone else, what steps do I need to take to reset it so they have no problems putting their sim card in and using the phone?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Turn off find my iPhone and the screen lock, the go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase all Content and Settings

I think that should do it, but others will chime in if I did miss anything

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
what about .... do you own the iPhone? is it under contract? If it's under contract you can't give it away that easily.

Sure he can. He'll still be on the hook for the duration of the contract if he bought it subsidized, but he can just stick his SIM in a different phone. The new user just puts his SIM in the iPhone and it all will be fine.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Go to settings and turn off iMessage if you're not going to another iphone or iMessage will still think your number Is tied to an iphone and roll give you grief

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
what about .... do you own the iPhone? is it under contract? If it's under contract you can't give it away that easily.

You can switch phones in your contract at any point. You just can't get subsidized pricing for 2 years or however long the contract is. The only reason you have to sign a 2 year contract is so that the phone companies make their money back and a whole lot more on you. They don't give a damn what phone you use, as long as they get their money.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

In the UK you can do what you want with your phone contract or no contract, all they care about is you paying your monthly bill.

Also thanks everyone for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.