About to place an order but conflicted on 8 vs 16gb ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Westbrook0, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Westbrook0 macrumors member

Almost ready to click Buy on the 13", but I'm conflicted about 8 vs 16gb of ram. I plan to use this laptop for 5+ years, so would you guys recommend the extra ram? I'll be starting grad school soon, and will be working with large data sets and applying machine learning & vision techniques. Aside from that, some light gaming like Civ, casual music creation, web development, and art.

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I mean 16GB of memory wouldn't hurt if price is a concern. But honestly 8GBs of ram has been a good number for most people for quite a few years now, and that really doesn't look like it's going to change soon.

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

If you are planning to keep it 5 years or longer then definitely max out the RAM. Better pay a couple hundred extra now than having to buy a whole new machine in 5 years if you feel like you need more RAM.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

8 GB is fine if you're worried about the financial increase for the 16, but I would shoot for 16 if you're looking to hold on to your device.

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I would absolutely recommend the 16GB. If that means compromising on other things, that may be livable. If it means waiting, again, that may be livable. But I have an 8GB machine, and it is annoying.

8. Westbrook0 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your opinions guys! But my question then becomes, after the 16gb upgrade, I'm only about $400 away from the base 15, so wouldn't the 13" become too overpriced at that point?

9. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

10. Disheart macrumors newbie

Disheart

If you want to get another 5+ years out of your MacBook then you should go for 16GB. I rather buy a new model but that's just me.

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Completely different machine. Quad core i7, dedicated gpu and 16gb ram standard.
    You first need to decide if you want a 13" or 15".

12. timcook_boyfriend macrumors newbie

timcook_boyfriend

Daily use, few bootcamp, virtual machine install > 8 gb
    Intensive use, too browser tabs, too bootcamp-virtual machine install > 16 gb

13. 5iMacs macrumors regular

I frequently run analyses on large data sets as well and memory is hugely important. As are extra CPU cores. Personally I would choose the 2015 15" MBP in this case. Unless the size is a deal breaker or the extra approx. $600 for the 2016 model is no concern.

14. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you can compare it like that, I mean giving the fact that Apple computer are already somewhat over priced to start with. If you always think of it as pay a little bit more to get to the next level, it'd be very hard to actually purchase anything. I think your purchase decision should be what is your desired screen size first? what is the purpose of your machine? I mean if you need to take this guy with you all the time, whats the point of buying 15 vs 13?

15. JTK28, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

JTK28 macrumors member

Get the extra ram and (if you can afford it), also get the best graphics card you can. You can never have too much memory and you will always need a better graphics card. Especially if you plan on keeping your computer to 5+ years.

Im still using my 2009 macbook pro and i'm glad i got the best computer i could afford at the time. while my computer is pretty obsolete at this point, i can still run modern day programs without too much trouble.

16. 5iMacs macrumors regular

Another consideration is whether in a two or three years you will actually be running real data sets (not just samples for dev/debugging) on your own machine. Some of the people I know are already working in the cloud with google Dataproc, Databricks, etc.

(In that case it doesn't matter what machine you access it from)

17. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Up to you. If a larger screen is worth $400 to you, then maybe it's worth the upgrade. But you might prefer the smaller machine. But this is a personal preference thing, I think.

18. crassapple Suspended

I'm using a 2008 macbook (the original unibody). Purchased with 2GB ram and upgraded to 4GB then 8GB. I would absolutely get 16GB if you want to get 5+ years out of it. That's the one upgrade I'm getting with the non-TB MBP.