About to reinstall OS X on my iMac - couple of questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by STYF, Jan 27, 2011.

1. STYF macrumors member

Firstly I want to create a back up mainly just for my music, I use to use time machine up until a couple of months ago, should I just plug my hard drive in and do a back up, this way will I be able to just put certain files on my 'clean' computer or does it revert the whole thing as to how it was?

Another question is how do I actually totally wipe the computer, I have two sets of discs the original one's that came with the computer a few years ago which has OS X 10.5.4 on it and the snow leapard disc? Should I start from the very beginning then upgrade to snow or is there a way to do a clean restart with the snow disc?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

As to the Music folder, just do a TM backup with that HDD of yours and later drag the files and folders back onto the newly installed Mac OS.

As to the installation steps, Snow Leopard is just fine, no need to go via Leopard: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

3. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

One thing to note; going straight to SL will mean no iLife

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But OP can reinstall iLife from the original install discs

5. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I keep a backup of all my music on an external HD. I then just move the iTunes folder back and forth as is.