About to say no to a 120k/year job...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by peapody, Jun 2, 2011.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

For a job that has less benefits, 100k salary, longer commute, and more stress (in a different way).

More money vs more happiness in the long run? What do you guys think.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Never go for more money!

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

DO IT! I left a $120k/year job to go off on my own and make more along the lines of $100k/year myself, I've never been happier.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Are you a family man? Do what will give you more time to spend with the kids. I'm a family man first. I passed up a job that pays double what I'm making now, because it involves a lot of traveling.

Family first, always. I learned that from the Godfather.;)

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I say take it, chances like these aren't that common...I think?

Imagine what you'll be able to do with all that money :D

8. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

That is a good success story! This job I accepted has a lot of autonomy, and not driven my numbers.

That is very good advice. The 120k job will give me more time with my family unfortunately, but it is really a plug and chug kind of job instead of letting me use my noggin. I hope I will have more time with my family.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I would say go where you feel you'll be happy. A recent study showed that there are significant diminishing returns as far as the effect of income on life satisfaction once you get above $75k, anyway.

You do mention a longer commute: the cost of a commute can be a tricky number as it is so spread out. Right now you can estimate that every mile (one way) you live from work costs you roughly $100 per year if commuting by car. :)

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see that is what you have to think of. My dad almost said no to a job that was providing him with a bigger raise better benefits (minus vacation) because of that worry. After he talk with them on it they said they would work with him to make sure what was important to him would not be an issue. This was mostly having certain Fridays off and leaving early on some days. He gets every other Friday off.

It is a balancing act. It comes down to what is more important for you. If spending time with your family is higher on the list then I would take the more boring job since it provides you with more of that time.

I think my dad said it the best at some point you reach that point the job is a job and having one you do not like is worth it if it means spending more time with your family.

For me on my car it works out to be around 50 cents a mile when it was all said and done. Now I was getting around 26-27mpg average but the rest of that cost was from maintenance and wear and tear on my car. So 50 cents per mile is a good way to figure it.
    I came up with that number after going threw several months of looking over my car cost not counting unexpected repairs but just maintenance and gas in there. I figured out that I could move 5 miles closer to work and eat around a 100 a month increase in rent and break even.

11. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Family is extremely important to me, but also...I am shallow and professional success is important to me too. The 120k/year job there is a low ceiling for advancement and ahem... fame. The lower paying job that requires more commute and more thinking but has the potential to thrust me into huge health systems and national organizations. I have a feeling family will have to be on the side at the moment =/... This decision is hard.

The commute is going to be bad...not going to lie. About 50 miles each way. On my lexus rx300 it is going to be really bad. Right now I am paying $450 for rent to live in a very comfortable condo that I am renting from a friend, so I figure I would suffer and just drive it. I am looking into purchasing a hybrid civic...the difference in MPG is gastronomical.

17/25 vs 40/45...

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is earning an income an ends or a means to you.

For some, its an ends, for others its a means. I purposely chose my current employer because they're much more family friendly then other companies and I have flexibility. It came with a price, and that is my salary is under what the market is paying. That's ok, because I can spend time with my family.

13. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Money is not as important as family or professional success...

but it is important so I can have a safe and happy lifestyle, with comfort and the ability to pay off my 200k in loans lol.

That sounds like a great deal to me!

14. mstrze macrumors 68000

Think about job security too. BIG factor these days.

And I have a 20 mile commute right now and it's a bear I cannot imagine a 50 mi one. What is that? 90 minutes each way at rush hour? Or will you be travelling early or late enough to miss that? Even without rush, it's easily an hour each way.

Judging from my gas mileage, you will be filling up every 4 days or so, so generally spending around $100 for gas each work week at today's prices. Knock off another 5-6000 dollars off your income for gas alone, plus probably $1000-1500 for car upkeep and repair.

So now the cheaper but 'more fame and glory' job is paying you closer to $90K gross. Plus, the $90K job now keeps you away from home for 12-13 hours each day..assuming you only work 8 hours with a 1 hr lunchbreak and assuming a minimu 90 minute commute.

I would have to say, this cheaper job will likely lead to burnout with all the driving and time away from home. You say you can put family on hold right now, but think twice about that statement. You can never go back and live your life again.

You can always move on from the $120K job in the future to something more fulfilling...ther'e no reason why you can't.

If the commute times were similar, you'd have me, but speaking from someone who does it I would GLADLY take a closer job...especially one that pays me more.

But, do what you think will make you happy. Just make sure to seriously think about all the extra hassles and make sure the ultimate goal is worth it...and realize that the opportunities that you imagine could result from the $90K job are far from a guarantee. And there is no reason to believe that you couldn't get the same or even better opportunities from the $120K job. :/

15. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Thank you for the breakdown! Yes you are right.. the commute will be a bear...but the 120k job has a similar 40-50 mile commute. THere are just no jobs where I am currently living, and I just signed the lease for this place. Timing was a big factor. If I had gotten the job before I needed a place to live, I would have moved somewhere in that area. I am young (26yo) and this job is putting me in pharmacy management in a large hospital system, which is hard to get with someone of my limited experience and credentials. I guess that is why I am leaning in that direction. The stars aligned for me for this one. That and some powerful networking goes a long way.

The 120k job is a retail pharmacist job working at like a walgreens/cvs/target. There is room for growth but it is very money and numbers driven - that kind of pressure is not very favorable to me. No chairs in a pharmacy, no lunch hours. You start at a high pay rate but there is little room to climb. But you do make a lot of money initially. As for job security I am not sure. In a hospital system they want people with more experience...in a retail pharmacy, not necessarily if you have speed and smarts and will take less money.

I want to thank everyone for their input....I love this community. I can see a lot of different sides to an argument, and a lot of new things to consider. Keep them coming. :eek:

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

Can't imagine there wouldn't be a retail pharmacist job within walking distance of your home. I have three retail locations in my Houston suburb within 1 mile of my house....probably 25 within a 5 mile radius.

Sucks it's a commute for both offers. Makes it a little better to take the one with more upward mobility.

But honestly, look around and see if you can't land a local retail spot for similar money. THAT would definitely be a no-brainer and I can't imagine that pharmacy experience couldn't lead to bigger things in the future with better timing and commutes. :)

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As for cranial challenges, you could always join a service organisation.

They will test your metal. ;)

18. acurafan macrumors 6502a

i turned down a job w/45k/yr difference half a year ago.

$$$ < happiness, i can tell you that.

19. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

When you stop caring what people think of you because of a profession ect, that's when the answer will be clear.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Mettle.

The OP doesn't need to apologize for choosing a job that he feels will bring him greater respect from his peers. We all have different motivators.

21. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Trust me there are no openings. I have looked and looked for the last 4 months. Haha if it were that easy to just get a job at the walgreens down the street...then I would have jumped at the offer. But alas, with a saturation of the market, people have to turn to moving to places like New Orleans for jobs. There are just no jobs out there. And even working in retail...I would have to travel from store to store to work as a floater.

Yep, success in family and profession are what keep me going. Helping others is also my great motivator - hence why I chose health care.. I apologize for my motivations. I apologize for wanting my cake and eating it too!

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Do you have kids? If not, I'd say when your lease ends, rent closer. The best gift you can give yourself as a single 20 something who's making 6 figures is time.

And you're making the better career decision by going toward hospital management. More doors will open for you and your career is not gonna stop at $120 k anyway.

Also I might be wrong but I thought most pharm school grads don't want to work retail?

23. puma1552 macrumors 601

I think it's a little arrogant/pretentious to make a woe is me post about whether or not to take the $100k or $120k job right out of school at 26 years old, and how bad the latter is going to be on your Lexus as a just graduated pharmacy student.

If I had to guess, and perhaps I'm wrong, I think ultimately you probably live EXTREMELY far above your means, if your constant hundreds/thousands of dollars in gadget/electronics purchases are any indicator, so in your case, you should probably take the $120k job to support that lifestyle.

Sorry, but I don't buy this for a minute. The $120k job sounds like it has absolutely nothing going for it except an extra $20k over the other one (pretax, and don't forget to look into what tax bracket you are in at either salary), so this shouldn't even be a contest.

If you've supposedly got $200k in loans, take the $100k job, dump the Lexus, dump the constant gadget purchases, and live below your means and get rid of the loans and be damn thankful you can earn $100k at 26 years old. Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy, which actually makes them one of the worst kinds of debt there is (contrary to the old thought that student loan debt was "good debt" thanks to the low interest [which I don't consider the usual 6.8% low drug out over 10-25 years, my car interest rate is much lower and even my credit card is fixed at only 8%]). How do you plan to buy a house at your current lifestyle pace? I only speculate because most professional school kids are scraping by, not swapping computers every 2-3 months when they decide they've simply changed their mind and driving Lexuses.

$100k at 26 years old is a fantastic salary. If you have serious doubts about a $100k salary at your age, you're doing something very wrong.

I don't mean to be a dick, but this thread is kind of arrogant IMO and it certainly doesn't sound like a hard choice, if family and professional success take a backseat to money, as you claim.

IMHO, I think you should take the $100k job, and really reevaluate your finances. Have you started a Roth IRA yet? Even with your loans (which are certainly going to be on an Income-based repayment plan, I assume?), you should still be able to live quite comfortably on $2000 a week, especially with $450 rent.

24. puma1552 macrumors 601

Also unrelated, buying a hybrid to save money is 99% time going to turn out to be a net loss. Unless you get the hybrid for the same price or less than what you'd sell/trade your Lexus, I guarantee you will lose money.

Remember, spending X thousands on a car doesn't result in saving money. It takes a long, long time to earn back the money spent in improved gas mileage, and at the end of it all you've got expensive batteries in need of replacement.

At the end, you'd be lucky to break even. Spending more money now rarely results in saving money later, especially when it comes to cars.

But it's just another strike for the $120k job, make another $20k and you want to spend to get another car. Just ends up equaling out with the $100k job. I can't fault you for that though, most people do that--they make more, and their already have-everything lifestyle somehow still gets more expensive and there's seemingly never enough money.

25. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

Take the money. Save for retirement. Then if life gets hectic you have the extra money for you and/or your family. If life doesn't require the extra money at least you will still have it rather than being out an extra 20k every year from now until whenever. Ultimately this is your decision, I personally would consult with my family and parents to discuss our future and our options.