About to sell iPhone 3G with 3.x on it still. Is there...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, May 9, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Is there a way I can get rid of ALL my info by resetting it, ect but so the buyer can still keep the 3.x on it? I'm sure more people will look because it still has 3.x on it.

Thank you

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm fairly sure if you restore it through iTunes you can do so without updating - as long as you decline at the prompt to update. Can anyone confirm or refute this just to be safe?

3. SL4VE macrumors 6502

4. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

restore the device and cut the connection to the internet making sure you have the 3.x ipsw on your comp. that way it will automatically find the 3.x firmware and cannot look elsewhere. i cannot guarantee this will work as i have not tried but it is the only way i can think of.

5. war eagle macrumors 6502a

It's simple and this is how I always do it.

1. Sync with iTunes remove all music, apps, books,photos etc.
    1.1 If you have any photos in the camera roll that you want import into iPhoto or whichever photo app you use and then delete them from phone.
    2. Manually go in and delete any mail accounts.
    3.Clear call logs and text messages
    4. Open safari close all tabs, then go to settings > safari> clear history, cookies, cache. Go to autofill and clear it if you have anything in it.
    5. Settings > Store> click on your apple id and sign out.
    6. Settings > General > reset all settings and then I erase all content and settings (but if you're jailbroken these usually just put the phone into a loop)

Hope this helps.

6. war eagle macrumors 6502a

No that won't work unless he's backed up with tinyumbrella or cydia. Apple will force the update to the latest if you do a restore.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Right, what SHSH do you have on file? That is what you can restore to, period.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

There is an option in iTunes if you right click on the device you can "restore from backup." I don't think this option does a reset first, it only copies the data. The link below mentions that option as well:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

For your last step, I tap reset all settings then wait until thats done then tap erase all content and settings?

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

There's so much misinformation in the thread it hurts.

11. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I think the market for 3G's is so small these days that I doubt it will really matter what firmware you have on it so I wouldn't spend tons of time trying to keep 3.x on it.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can install up to 3.1.3 on a 3G without any need for blobs.
    D/l the 3.1.3 ipsw. In itunes, hold down option then add restore to open up a dialog box.
    The ios install will erase all personal data and keep your bb unlockable.
    If you install a custom firmware, it'll also JB your phone as well.

ETA: don't d/l the ipsw with IE. Any browser--even Lynx--is preferable to that POS.

13. war eagle macrumors 6502a

So how about you try and contribute some legitimate information?

Yea that's what I do. I might just be extra but that's how I always do it.