About to sell MBP, buy iMac, what steps do I need to take..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brayhite, Sep 18, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

..to ensure everything is properly backed up and ready to install on the iMac once I get it and everything is erased off the MBP?

I have Time Machine running and backing up my MBP, so I'm assuming I can restore the iMac from Time Machine. The iMac will most likely be refurbished so I don't think Apple will have Lion installed on it, or will they? Also, should I uninstall Lion since it was downloaded under my Apple account? How does that work, since it's associated with my account? Does the information carry over at all?

2. brownn macrumors newbie

I would of thought that the time machine backup should be sufficient for restoring to the iMac.

I personally would revert the MBP back to snow leopard as Lion is registered to you and your AppleID (and Im guessing this would be against the EULA)

At least you can then then use Lion on your iMac if you wish to

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, alright, sounds good. Yeah I assumed the Time Machine backups would be fine, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I'd need from the MBP specifically.

And I was afraid of that. Hopefully the buyer won't mind if I tell him I'm downgrading it to Snow Leopard (or upgrading it in some terms of functionality, really.. but that's for another forum).

Thanks for the response.