About to setup Raid-0 - 2x 150GB Raptors or 2x 640GB WDAAKS?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ASFx, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ASFx macrumors regular

I currently have a 150GB raptor drive and am wanting to get 2 drives setup so i can setup software raid-0 in OS X 10.5.2.

Should I just get a 2nd 150GB raptor, or should i get rid of my raptor, and get two of the new WD6400AAKS drives instead (which costs slightly more than a 2nd raptor anyway)?

All I care about is performance, storage isn't really an issue, and can't afford SAS right now. I read the 320gb WD320AAKS are slower than the WD6400AAKS so i want to avoid the 320gb version.

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Assuming you're doing normal things on your mac (meaning no I/O, not as a server etc), RAIDed WDs will give you better performance almost across the board.

3. ASFx thread starter macrumors regular

Yup it would be all normal stuff. Browsing, photoshop, occasional game, mail, running a few VMs, etc.

4. Neurorad macrumors newbie

RAID 0 RaptorX 150 X 2

I have a pair of RaptorX 150 in a RAID 0. I initially had a pair fo WD RE2 drives in a RAID 0. I found the performance of the Raptors was overall better (faster startup, application loads, etc.). The noise is not noticeable. There are larger 300 GB Raptors being released, but so far the do not appear to fit in the Mac Pro's sleds.

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I think they will fit the sleds, because they are in their own 2.5" to 3.5" converter. The sata power and data lines are in the wrong place though.

I would go for the raptors, but thats only because i have experience with them. Although I'm doubting you'll see much of a performance increase with 2 Raptors in software RAID 0, over 1 in non-RAID configuration.

I'd get on google, there's bound to be a lot of examples.