About to take delivery of my 1st ever Apple Computer (27" i5 iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Azzin, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Hi gurus!

I have this morning, ordered myself a quad core, 27" iMac with an i5 CPU from the Apple refurb store.

I'm now getting a little excited as I just checked and delivery will be tomorrow or Thursday. :eek:

Anyway, I thought I'd try and collate some info in here.

What I really want to know is what I should be "aware of" as a Mac n00b?

For example, what about anti-virus/spyware software?

Also, I believe the system ships with OS X, so should I be thinking about putting Lion on it (and if so, what's the best method)?

The other thing I was told I can do is take an image of the current Windows 7 install on my PC and use it in a dual boot environment on the iMac, so is there an idiot's guide to this somewhere?

Also, I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad, that are currently sync'd to my PC-how will I go about transferring that to the iMac, without having to set them up as new devices?

You see where I'm coming from, I need a newcomers to iMac guide!

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    If you just bought it new from Apple, it comes with Lion preinstalled. Lion is the most current version of Mac OS X.
    To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.
    The first link I posted should get you pretty far down the road.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

I ordered it from the Apple refurb store.

Excellent info, I'm off to have a read, thanks! :D

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurb models usually come preloaded with the Mac OS X version that originally shipped with that computer. If it shipped with Snow Leopard, this will give you info about upgrading to Lion:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

Thanks, I also found this: http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

I'm not sure what "Qualifying" means, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you click the link where it says that, it will tell you what "qualifying" means.
    http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/systems.html

7. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Azzin

8. Unkei macrumors member

Unkei

Hi Azzin,
    I'm a mac newbie too. New 21.5 iMac just two weeks old. I got a book at B&N the night before I bought the iMac. It has a lot of useful info. The title is Teach Yourself Visually iMac and was $29.99.
    The book is worth it". As is this great forum! I was a PC guy for 30 years, and I am so happy with the iMac.
    Unkei

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios