about to take the screws out of my brand new $2,500 MBP retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auhistory, Dec 11, 2014.

1. auhistory macrumors newbie

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you damage the computer while installing that product, then your warranty will be voided. As long as you don't damage it, you'll be fine.

As for that product, couldn't a thief just do a quick yank and rip that off, or is it too beefy?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not really any more or less robust than the old Kensington lock slots, but it does serve the purpose of discouraging the casual thief.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

thatll scratch the crap out of the corner of your mb

6. chrfr macrumors 603

No, I put one on my work computer. There's no scratching.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No, seems like a reasonable solution to deter the opportunist thief, equally I still wouldn't leave it alone, these cable locks an be cut in seconds. Much depends on the environment your using it in.

Q-6

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course but I think metal on metal may cause scratches and there may be other ways to discourage the casual thief.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not really metal on metal because the MBP's feet provide the padding. Like I said, I don't think it's any worse than the Kensington slot, and all the other options I found either have the risk of scratching or damaging the display or make it too inconvenient to close up the computer and take it with me.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of the kensington lock as well. Other then the casual thief, I think these devices provide a false sense of security. To each his own, if the OP feels better with it, then that's all that matters.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

I just use it to discourage someone from walking into my office and lifting the MBP off my desk when I'm not looking or stepped out for a moment. For that purpose, it works well.