About to throw my iPhone out the window

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hoyboy, May 25, 2014.

1. Hoyboy macrumors regular

I've tried every trick on the net but my refurbished iphone 5 I got 7 months ago after my original iphone 5 died just can't seem to hold a charge. Apple don't wanna know as a refurbished iphone only has 1 month warranty. Not sure what else I can do.

Refuse to pay for a new battery as this refurbished iphone should last longer than 7 months and I think iOS 7 has slowly killed it. Upgrade isn't until august so I guess I gotta make do until then

Anyone got any other ideas apart from the usual wipe and set up as new iphone and turn off pretty much every setting that makes the phone a smart phone?

Attached Files:

2. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

How exactly are you using your device?

If you're streaming movies and music, don't expect the advertised 'talk time' they talk about.

Apple is really good at assisting with issues, I'm sure they can run a diagnostic on it to see if the battery is shot.

3. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

If you already tried everything then I dont think its a software problem, that battery is a dead horse.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The best idea would be to wipe and setup as new.
    Cause even if you paid for a new battery or got a replacement if there's a software bug in your backup it will behave the same way.
    So I'd do that. Setup as new and test it out for a day or 2.
    If still dies very fast then its the battery. So at least isolate the issue and find out if its software or hardware that's the problem.
    Then take it from there and make a decision.

5. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Just been browsing the net looking at past papers for my accountancy exams. I doubt doing this should wipe the battery out this quick? Or would it?

----------

Sadly I've done this 2 times now to no effect. Part of me still thinks it's something to do with 7.1.1 as it's got significantly worse since I updated to it, however battery life has always been pretty poor :/

----------

Ye it seems to be this way. I still think I shouldn't have to pay for a new battery as I only got this phone 7 months ago.

Seems like apple products aren't what they used to be. I had to buy a new lightning cable as the original one fell apart. My old iphone 4 was still as good as new after 2 years of ownership!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you restored and setup as new already and still had the battery die very fast?
    Apple will replace the battery for a $79 fee. Up to you if you want to do that or not.
    Whether you think you should have to pay or not thats irrelevant since they have rules they need to follow and if your device is out of warranty then not much you can do.

7. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

That doesn't seem normal at all, and I recommend contacting Apple ASAP. While you may not be under warranty (refurb replacements take the warranty of the original phone), you still may be able to get it repaired, depending on the circumstances and what's actually causing the issue.

Call Apple, *be very polite and respectful*, and see what they can do for you. Don't get irate, don't make demands. Just be polite and pleasant, and you'll likely get a solution.

8. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ye that's fair enough I understand that. Just frustrated how 2 iPhones I've had in the last 18 months have both had the same problem, especially as the refurb lasted less time than the original. Just wish they would change the battery the first time I took it in rather than gave me an inferior replacement. Oh well guess I've run out of options now lol

----------

Thanks for the advice saint.icon. I shall give it a try and see what they say!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My iphone 5 is doing the same thing with battery going fast on 7.0.4 but I purchased Applecare so I have a full 2 years coverage from day of purchase.
    But I dont want to lose my JB so Im not bringing it in for replacement till the next public JB is out:)

10. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

If you use the facebook app disable location services for it, solved my battery drain. :)

11. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh smart thinking :) Ye I wish AppleCare+ was available in the uk when I got my iphone! Oh well at least I can get it with my next upgrade. As much as I'm moaning about apple I'm stuck in their ecosystem now so they've got me right where they want me lol

----------

Already tried that I'm afraid :( thanks for the input though!

12. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Do you have 3G on all the time?
    It kills my battery if I have it on at home as I'm in a weak signal area and the phone is constantly searching for a good signal = huge battery drain

13. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ye I do have it on all the time but I'm connected to wifi while I'm at home. Does it still affect battery life if I'm connected to wifi? Signal is usually 3 bars or above...

14. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Yea
    Try turning it off when you arnt using it see if that makes any difference

15. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

No, it doesn't, unless your phone is using the 3G service. It will do this if you have location services on - I personally keep them off to keep battery usage to a minimum, as I'm also in a lower reception area.

I normally have two bars or so (Verizon). I stay connected to wifi, keep location services off, and don't use Facebook. I generally charge my 5C every other day.

You should be getting similar usage from your 5 - the batteries aren't all that different. If you've got similar settings and are still only getting usage like you showed above, there's an issue with your 5's battery that needs to be addressed.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

In the UK you're covered for up to 6 years after purchase. I'd talk to Apple and bring up UK and EU consumer laws.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

17. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh ok well I've turned pretty much every location service off. I just turn them back on once I need them. All evidence does seem to point towards a dodgy battery. As much as I don't want to, it looks like I'm gonna have to pay to get the battery replaced unless by some miracle apple releases an update which somehow improves it considerably (very unlikely)

----------

Nice one! I didn't even think of this. So based on this link I should be entitled to a new battery at no extra cost?

18. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

19. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yep will do! Knowing my luck they'll say there's nothing wrong with it lol

20. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

Just go to your local Apple Store and show them your usage and explain it to them. They will test your battery. In your case I'm pretty sure they will see a fault during their testing and replace another phone for you.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Like others said your first step is to go to the Apple store and have them test it. They can tell you very quickly if the battery is defective. Then you can make your choices from there.

I have a friend who "lives" on his iPhone and is either making calls, playing games and using the Internet all day long. He gets upset that he has to recharge his battery a couple of times a day. I try to explain to him that Apple never designed the battery to last all day with constant use. He still thinks it is defective even after having Apple check it out twice.

Hope you find your answers. :apple:

22. aneftp macrumors 601

Which country are you in? In USA you get at least 90 days warranty on official Apple refurb or longer (if replacing iphone under warranty with more than 90 days left)

23. Radiating macrumors 65816

The lightning cable compromised durability for a slimmer design. That was a conscious choice by Apple to please it's customers. I like it that way personally but you can buy thicker and stronger cables from other manufacturers if you have different priorities.

You purchased a refurbished phone and are mad that it's broken. Do you know what refurbished means (when it comes to iPhones)? It means it is a defective product that was so screwed up that It was taken back from the customer. They tried to replace the major issue but they know it's a lemon. They are selling it at a discount to people who are willing to take risks to save money. That's why it comes with a one month warranty.

"Gee I purchased a defective product and it's defective I refuse to take responsibility for my choices"

Refurbished products other than a few exceptions are always highly defective.

24. Hoyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi I think you've misunderstood my post. No I didn't purchase a refurbished iphone. I was given a refurbished iphone from Apple after my first iphone (which was brand new) also had a bad battery.

Obviously if I had bought a refurbished iphone I wouldn't be on here complaining.

Like I mentioned earlier instead of giving me a refurbished iphone I wish they could just swap the bad battery out of my original iphone but apparently they can't do that.

I understand apple made the design of the apple cable smaller to please customers but I still don't think it's acceptable that I have to go out and pay for a new cable because the original one is not durable enough as you are suggesting.

Me, several of my work colleagues and my brother in law have all had to buy new cables because they have broke, whereas the old cables which I've had for last 6 years still work today.

Just to be clear I'm not here for the fun of bashing apple. I'm just on here to vent my frustration and see if other people have any ideas to help me out.

----------

I'm in the uk pal. Not exactly sure what rules apply in the uk although someone gave me a link above stating that the uk has some kind of 6 year warranty. Not sure if it applies to a refurb as I haven't had a chance to phone them yet.

----------

Hi, thanks for your input :) . Definately going to book it in with apple to see what they say. Seems like they're fully booked for the next couple of weeks so I won't know until then.

Ye that's fair enough I would understand that if I was playing games, watching movies etc but all I'm doing is sending the odd text to people, browsing the internet and the odd phone call or two.

Phone seems to get very warm even when it's in my pocket and locked while I'm at work etc.

25. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I don't know where you're getting this one month thing.. But when Apple replaces a defective phone, rather the replacement is new or a refurbished model, The warranty carries over from your original device. So if you purchased your original phone that was already replaced less than a year ago then you are still under warranty.. If it's been over a year you're not... I've had Apple swap a phone for me that was a few months passed the warranty so it doesn't hurt to ask.. Just be polite and say that you've Already had the same problem once the replacement only lasted seven months.. They might help you out