Absentee Voting!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't know. Have IQs generally dropped in the last 30 years that I have not lived in Texas? I'm going to be traveling away from home, actually in Europe in the time frame of the Nov National Election. I sat down to fill out Texas's Application for Ballot by Mail and it tells me that if I am not going to be in my country during the time of voting that I must have my ballot mailed to an address outside of my county??? WTF! I travel for a living. I don't know where I'm going to be next month! I don't have a permanent or what I can describe as a temporary address away from my home!

What do I have to compare to?- Minnesota where absentee ballots are as simple as fill out an application, submit it, get your ballot early where you live and mail it back in. No muss, no fuss. In Texas is it get out the vote, or make it harder for absentee voters to vote? Total BS and at some level I suspect it has to do with making voting harder not easier by good conservative Republicans who are in charge of the state. I am pissed at this moment.

Is anyone familiar with Federal Post Card Application? (fpca.gov) Usually military people overseas can use this to vote. A country clerk told me that if I was going to be traveling abroad during the election, I could use Federal Post Card Application to request an Absentee Ballot. The problem I see there is that I have to declare that I am a U.S. citizen residing outside the U.S. This is not true. I am traveling outside the U.S. but am not residing there. So I wonder if I can really use this? Any voter rights lawyers around? ;)

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why not just tell them you'll be in the US on the day of the election so you can have it mailed to your house?

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I told them. A lawyer at the department that handles elections for my area, told me this is how the State Legislature worded it. As far as I can see it is a deliberate attempt to make absentee voting more difficult. Not to be a cynic, but just another form of voter suppression, but why?

Anyway, since I started this thread, I did speak to someone at the U.S.Gov about using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to request a ballot. The reason this works is that I'll be out of the country. If I was just, say traveling around the U.S. staying at a new hotel every night, the State of Texas would still want me to make arrangements to have my ballot mailed to somewhere other than my home address. It only makes me wonder who is in charge and what is trying to be achieved... :mad: