Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I was going to throw this in the NFL thread but thought too many would miss it if I did. Ah, the good old days.

Link

In November of 1974, a Browns fan and season ticket holder sent a letter to the team regarding a concern of his.

Gentlemen:
I am one of your season ticket holders who attends or tries to attend every game. It appears one of the pastimes of several fans has become the sailing of paper airplanes generally made out of the game program. As you know, there is the risk of serious eye injury and perhaps an ear injury as a result of such airplanes. I am sure that this has been called to your attention and that several of your ushers and policemen witnessed the same.

Please be advised that since you are in a position to control or terminate such action on the part of fans, I will hold you responsible for any injury sustained by any person in my party attending one of your sporting events. It is hoped that this disrespectful and possibly dangerous activity will be terminated.

Very truly yours,

Roetzel & Andress

By Dale O. Cox

The Cleveland Browns response…

1293036449-picture_754.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too funny.

I wish we had a little more of that type of attitude. Now the person would have sued for 12 million dollars and the jury would have awarded them 200 million.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
The thing is that these days, threatening to sue over something as silly as paper airplanes doesn't seem that crazy. There have been suits filed over much sillier things recently. (Anyone remember the guy suing for millions over a dry cleaner messing up a suit?) I love the response. Today, it would probably result in some kind of lawsuit by the letter writer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.