Absolutely LIVID with Apple.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SLC Flyfishing, Sep 29, 2012.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So I started another thread a few days ago that's been buried a few pages in by now I'm sure.

Basically I lucked into a launch day iPhone5 at a Verizon store that didn't see much of a crowd. The phone was awesome in every way, I got a black 64GB model, not a scratch or dent on it. Then a couple of days ago it started acting funny, eventually quitting working entirely. Bad hardware, I took it right into the Apple store to see a genius.

They gave me a replacement when they couldn't even get it to restore, I was OK with the fact that the replacement wasn't in factory packaging; though I thought it might have been a refurbished model, perhaps from one that didn't make it out of the factory as a first run.

But then I noticed it was chipped as I was leaving the mall. Looked like someone had dropped it right on it's bottom right corder on the pavement. went back and they told me all the phones have flaws and that they wouldn't be able to replace it for me because of that.

So I went to Verizon, asked if they'd return my original iPhone. They said they would so I ran back to the Apple store and practically start a riot to get my old phone back. Apple store manager assured me that if I took that route, they were done helping me.

So I went to Verizon, they returned my phone and then informed me that my new one would be there in 2-4 days. But when the email came telling me the order had been placed, it said end of October. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Verizon claims that the original date they told me was/still is, correct. But it's been 2 days and the phone hasn't shipped. Now that it's the weekend the earliest it could ship is Monday. I'm guessing it's going to be Thursday at the earliest that my phone can arrive.

In the meantime, Apple apparently has been getting new shipments at the store fairly frequently and they explained that I can order online and select "pickup in store" and perhaps get one next day if they're going to be in stock. I tried this last night and the website wouldn't accept my billing password. No luck.

So I called customer care this morning to complain. I'm normally a pretty reasonable guy, but this business of getting screwed over not being willing to accept a damaged phone when I bought the most expensive version they even have is not acceptable to me. I explained the situation to customer care, they told me to work out my billing password with Verizon and try calling them tonight so they can try and snag a phone in tomorrow's shipment (assuming one of the local Apple stores will get some phones overnight). That's all fine I guess, but why can't they just pull one out of a warehouse and overnight it to me, bypassing all this run-around crap.

I'm a loyal Apple customer. All told I've purchased close to $10K in apple products in the past 5-6 years. I think that given my purchasing history, and my poor customer service experience this go around, they should pull out the stops and just get me a phone. I know they can do it, and it's off putting hearing them say that they'd have to build one and have it sent from China, so my best bet would be to log on religiously every night and try and snag one through the lottery.

Like I said, I'm LIVID.

Oh, and to top it all off. Since I went over to Verizon for this phone, I've already pre-paid for October and September service. So I've been billed for time that I may not even have a phone. And there's a hitch in Verizon's system that prevents them from activating an old LG phone I have on my line while I have a pending order. So I'm screwed from both ends. Less upset with Verizon, as far as I can tell they've pulled all the strings possible to get a phone as quick as they can. But Apple is really pissing me off.

Sorry for the novel.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get Apple to budge?

And for the Portland area folks, it's the Washington Square Apple store in Tigard that screwed me over. Beware the manager and Genius team at this location. You're better off to deal with Apple care over the phone.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

3. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

True.

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

You must have a very easy life to get livid over a mobile phone.

5. rdbecker macrumors newbie

The internet likes to be angry about the dumbest things.

6. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Although this IS the Apple forum, where ppl go to, y'know, talk about Apple-related stuff. Its not like he barged into a thread about starving children to complain about his phone.

7. matttye macrumors 601

The difference between me and you is I never would have noticed the chip in the phone. I haven't inspected mine closely and, guess what, I'm incredibly happy with it. It works!

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

It's a phone. You'll live. Just breathe. In....and out......in.....and out. Repeat this to yourself. It's a phone.

Another thing, nobody gives a $%*& how much money you've spent at Apple. I've spent easily $100,000 over the last few years there. I don't expect any better service than a brand new Apple customer.

Get a grip.

Also, my 64GB Black iPhone 5 is perfect. But I don't treasure it like the idol of the gods, I use it as a phone, soooooooo, yeah.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

If the Apple Store manager was upfront and said that if they gave you back your old phone they wouldn't let you return it to them again (i.e. you had to go through Verizon), then why are you complaining that after they gave you back your old phone that they wouldn't take it back to them again?

It seems to me he gave you two options: 1) Exchange the phone here and accept something from our replacement stock, which may have cosmetic flaws.
    2) Take your original phone back and exchange it at Verizon, which may or may not have the phone in stock.

Why not go back to the Verizon store and ask them to take something out of their next shipment of iPhones, and in the meantime give you a loaner phone of some sort while you wait for that shipment?

10. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That's hillarious.

OK, let's have you give $600.00 for a service and not really know when you'll actually get to use that service.

It's not like I'm saying this is the biggest injustice in the world, but it's the thing I'm dealing with this weekend and this seemed like the appropriate place to vent about it.

Some people need to learn to stop being so sanctimonious. What's the point of your post exactly anyway, if not a vain attempt to appear morally superior to anyone who's upset about their own problems for a moment.

No, you aren't any better than anyone else. You just hope we'll all think Vundu-Macrumors 6502 is so incredibly awesome that we're lucky to be able to associate with his internet presence.

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

12. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

You need to spend more time at the stream.

And what is the point of YOUR post exactly? To bitch about a multibillion dollar corporation that made a product in China, that relies on service from another multibillion dollar corporation that doesn't give a $%&^ about you? Really? The critical posts are just as relevant as your post. Should we bow to your awesomeness with your macrumors 65816 status? That just means you've spent more time on MR than others, and I'm not sure that is a badge of honor.

13. DennyBribri macrumors newbie

Over a phone..guezz

You have to remember the iPhone 5 just went on sale and millions are buying one. Apple will understandably be overwhelmed. Hold off a few weeks, and be understanding of Apple's efforts. I had my iMac is for a power supply issue and needed it for work. Apple called to say it would be another week due to the iPhone release. Okay, I get it, and found a work around. My iMac is back and life will good.

14. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yeah I tried that, Verizon can't activate another phone to my account while this replacement is pending. They also don't do loaners. I have old Verizon phones from when I was with them a few years ago, but they can't activate one for me because of this new one that's supposedly coming.

As for Apple, I was willing to take something from the replacement stock, just not something I couldn't be sure hadn't been dropped on the ground. I was surprised and shocked that they weren't willing to help me find one that wasn't damaged, that's all. I'm used to Apple providing the highest levels of customer service; and that wasn't my experience this time.

I'm sure you're all independently wealthy, but I'm not. I expect a certain level of quality from the things I choose to spend my money on (as anyone should) and especially in the case of high priced electronics that are marketed as a piece of art as much as a functional telephone.

No matter how any of you attempt to paint it, it's not unreasonable to expect a product that's not pre-damaged when you pay full price. I'm fully aware that I will likely add some scuffs and dings over my time with the phone, but I'm unwilling to accept something that's been "pre-loved" for full price.

15. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I have an idea. Let's organize.

We can call this something catchy like "Dropgate". Pay some tweens $0.05 cents per click to build up the post count. Email it out to all the tech blogs. Storm Apple stores and be heard. Wait for the Tim Cook apology. Watch our hero, McFlyfishing, on the Ellen show where Steve Job's son personally presents him with an undropped iPhone 5. Parlay his fame and make an autotuned dance video. Sell it on iTunes. Get him a major record deal. Record a sex tape so that when his musical popularity slides we can get him a reality TV show.

Who's with me?

BJ

16. darster Suspended

So let's get this straight. You got your phone, it broke, they gave you a replacement, you didn't care for the replacement, then you went to verizon, stormed back to apple to get you old phone back, sent your broken phone back to verizon, they told you a couple days, but it didn't come in two days, so now you want apple to fix that problem by bypassing verizon, or for verizon to just grab one out of the warehouse, that is likely destined for someone else so that you can be happy, while likely screwing someone else because you have spent a whopping $10 grand with apple in the past and therefore you should be treated extra special. Wow, simply wow. Well buddy, life is a tragedy. Things break. It sometimes takes time to get a replacement when demand is high. Apple tried to remedy the situation, you didn't like it. Verizon is trying to remedy the situation, and it isnt' fast enough. Now you want Apple stop everything they are doing because you are such a great customer. Thanks for the Saturday morning humor. It's like a Looney Toon cartoon!

17. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Perhaps you should take your money elsewhere? I hear the Galaxy S3 is a hot phone.

18. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I agree people have become way too emotionally invested in their smartphones. But, it's no longer fair or accurate to say, it's just a phone.

These devices have become many things, that are extremely useful in our daily lives. Do some rely a bit too hard on all the amazing things they do? Sure, but it's not hard to understand that we do use and rely on them for many things.

So, it's not surprising, particularly given apple's marketing, both regarding aesthetics and function/it just works, that people do want and expect a nearly perfect device, both in form and function, and aren't happy when they don't get it. Especially after spending a lot of money on it. Personally, a few minor cosmetic flaws don't bother me much. A dent or ding might depending on how noticeable it is.

What bothers me more are functional issues, like my weak wifi performance. But I'm hopeful it'll be addressed in an update.

It's no longer "just a phone" though, honestly, is it?

19. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You have a phone that didn't work and Apple replaced it with a phone that works. Not sure what there is to be livid about.

If your phone and/or software craps out somewhere down the road, they'll probably give you another phone - one that was manufactured much later and probably flawless. As for the waiting time - in case you live under a rock, the demand for this thing is HIGH so waiting is mandatory whether you think you're VIP or not.

One day you'll look back and wondered why you wasted 4 days being mad over something so trivial; especially if you get another replacement phone down the road.

20. 725032 Guest

It's just a phone OP... You need chill out and take a deep breath.

Life is more than just the latest technology

21. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

I agree with others, the amount of money one has spent on Apple products has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. Having said that, I can understand why you would be upset with the service you are getting from Apple. If you have a defective product, you should be compensated with a new replacement. Not one that someone else has returned due to cosmetic blemishes. Knowing that this is a widespread issue, Apple should make all efforts to make sure the customer is happy with them as a company and their products. I don't use a land line - my iPhone is my only phone. Which is why I too would be bothered by the treatment you are receiving. I would try another Apple Store or contact Customer Service.

22. OceanView macrumors 65816

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

If you allow such a device to define how you live, than you need to re-evaluate your life. It may be just a phone, or just a personal computer. But we've gotten this far without such a device, so the fact that we even have them should be something to appreciate, even with nicks and dings. There ARE options. If you are unhappy with the device provided by Company A, Company B-Z will be happy to accommodate you.

24. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

This I did understand, but does this mean that I should just suck it up and take a replacement that may or may not have been dropped on the ground at some point before I take possession? If it had, and then stops working, it's conceivable that they could deny another replacement citing damage that's not covered under warranty. I'd be fine with that if it were me that did the damage, but if it were pre-damaged that would be a problem.

I'm shocked that nobody seems to be able to understand this.

25. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Since the iPhone 5 launched, this place has become a plethora of First World Problems.