Abysmal battery life with iOS5 on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i eversaw, Oct 5, 2011.

1. i eversaw, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

Without even using it, it sat in my pocket and got very hot, and drained from 67% to 37% in about an hour. Anyone else experiencing poor battery life with iOS5?

2. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

Ive had better battery life since upgrading. Im at 84% after 6 hours standby and 1hr 49m usage. Maybe you should restore your phone again.

3. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Mine isn't that bad but it isn't anything to brag about either.

4. mkaen, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

mkaen macrumors regular

Um, something was obviously wrong or bugged in that case.

5. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I have really bad battery life too. I can loose 25% in an hour with no apps running and notifications off! Just sitting in my pocket. :mad:

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I would recommend doing a hard reset. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds or more until the phone completely shuts down. Don't do the swipe, just keep holding until it shuts down.

If that doesn't help, restore the phone in iTunes again.

Last ditch effort, restore and set it up as a new phone. If you backup to iCloud first you can probably get your data back.

7. drizzotto macrumors newbie

also expriencing this

I am also experiencing this. It seems to actually be getting worse (?) as I've noticed an accelerated incidence today versus yesterday. hard resetting doesn't help -- will try a restore and see if that does anything.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Something is running the CPU. Try turning it off, uninstalling apps, or do a reset as someone else suggested. There are free utilities that show running processes and the amount of resources they are consuming (including CPU).

Also, any of you folks reporting poor battery life have location notifications turned on? It seems like a no-brainer but when I heard about it I didn't think that the GPS would be on all the time. Bye bye battery.

9. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

You have location services on or location service reminder things on? Thats probally why

10. drizzotto macrumors newbie

I have location services on, same as always -- I can't find anything for location service reminders. (unless you mean the "Reminders" app setting) --

I did notice that a new feature of Foursquare called "Radar" was continuously pinging location services, so i turned that off and will see what it says -- Fouresquare claims it shouldn't be impacting the battery but I am inclined to suspect otherwise.

The increased heat issue makes me feel it's more a CPU thing than a location thing anyways -- I might try going with a base set of apps, if i can cull them down.

regards

11. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

if your not using location services you should defitnetly turn it off

12. Headlighted macrumors member

This is what I would recommend to try. iOS5 has actually improved the battery life on my 4.

13. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Is there any way to determine if this battery is any different than the iPhone 4? The new one sure will be getting a bigger workout with Siri.

Thought I read somewhere there would be a a diff, but cant remember where or if I even DID read that.

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Mine has been wierd lately. Was stuck on 100 all day. And then drained really quickly. This happned before ios 5 though.
    Wierd thing is. It came on really quickly. It is a release day iphone 4, so getting on a bit. And has been fine until last week the battery drastically started being really rubbish. :(

15. formerpc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've found that when I'm in an area with only 2G service, my battery drains much quicker and the phone gets hot. Otherwise, I'm actually getting better battery life on iOS 5.

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is a very common problem that has been around since the 3G came out - setting up a new phone from a backup from a previous phone can cause the battery life to go to hell.

You're first step should be to go into settings and choose "reset all settings". All of your synced content and app data will remain intact but all of the phone settings (including known WiFi networks and homescreen layout) will be restored to default. Some users in the past have reported that this solves the issue.

If that doesn't help, I'm afraid you'll have to restore the phone and set it up as a new phone - do not restore from a backup. You'll lose all the app data that you can't export from the app itself. Don't bother taking it into the Apple store. The genius will run a diagnostic, determine the battery is within specification, and explain a 20% drop per hour as "3G takes a lot of power", despite being 40x as fast as rated.

17. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

I had dismal battery life last night. dropped 80% overnight. That was in 10 hours. Restored this morning and fully charged, hasn't dropped yet going on 6-7 hours.

18. mateen110 macrumors regular

Apple needs to fix this ASAP in 5.0.1 or something

19. benjamin9876 macrumors member

otherwise ppl will return their phone for sure.. kind of ridicious for dropping that fast..

if everything turn off. what the point of having the smart phone ? get a grandfather nokia instead.

20. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's seen deteriorated battery life. I thought maybe the A5 processor was the culprit. I set my phone up as new with the same settings as my iPhone 4, battery's probably gonna last me an hour less than the 4 did.

21. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I have seen 6 or 7 faults like this since iOS5 has come out and in almost each case people had put reminders to do X when I get home or to work etc. That turns on the GPS and leaves it on, heating the phone up and draining the battery very fast.

One still had a route going on TomTom, but it was in he background - same deal, GPS on.

The last one was fixed by a reboot, but it did it again a day later so we erased it and reinstalled iOS5, and set the phone up from scratch. Seems to be ok now, fingers crossed. Restoring the phone from a previous iOS can cause issues so I clean install now, but it is a nusance needing to set everything up again.

22. whawhat macrumors 6502

23. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

24. ie87 macrumors newbie

I have had the exact same thing happen with my 4 --- Gets REALLY hot, even when not in use, then the battery life literally drains before your eyes. First time it happened I thought I was going crazy! :confused:

I had to get a replacement phone about a month ago and i thought maybe they gave me a refurbished one and it was just junk. i called about it last week and they kind of gave me the runaround about what to do. Glad to hear iOS 5 is causing the issue and they are working on a fix.

25. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

It's not about just making the battery last longer it's about making it last just as long as it did on iOS 4. My daughter has an iPhone 4 and after installing iOS5 her battery started draining really quick, phone getting hot and the data use shot up 5-10 times what she had been using before the "upgrade". Yes, I can guess that something must be constantly running but unfortunately she's away at college and she's not one to tweak around settings and mess with technology much. She actually has to turn the phone off just to have some juice left at the end of the day.

Needless to say this is pretty embarrassing to me after telling her for years that Apple products just work. :(