Accelerometer possibilities!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zmit, Apr 17, 2008.

1. zmit macrumors regular

continuing on from this discussion.

the SDK could bring a LOT of programs making use of the accelerometers in the iphone. i, for one, am really looking forward to the uses in the automobile industry, but as has been mentioned as well, it could be very useful for logging data for physics classes.

throw up your other ideas of what you think *may* be developed using the accelerometers

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Use as locating the iPhone in 3D space.
    You can then track iPhone's 3D position, movement.
    You can record this, and then cause this to do functions like gestures e.g. the rattle side to side EtchaSketch move to

It won't start losing it's way and forget which way is up, so it could follow a lot of things.

In a school Physics class setting the accelerometer is useful. It could display lots of other Physics properties (it has a microphone also).

In a car setting - you could use it in drag racing as mentioned on the 3G iPhone thread :)

The more you think about it, the more pops up as feasable once you've done the background coding, to link to a piss easy set up of the Interface, courtesy of the Interface Builder.

3. zmit thread starter macrumors regular

following on from the position in 3D space....

there are already iphone remote programs to control a mac and PC. surely it will be possible to have the converse. use your computer to control the iphone. in which case. you can have a start button (remote, so you dont bump it)
    then use that to log the change of position over time. (or just position)
    but we know that Nike is working on this anyway.... in some respects.

if there is a GPS in it too. that will be insane. imagine the data you could collect from that. amazing in car data mapping a track. including acceleration, deceleration, lateral G forces and more!

(im hanging out for a GPS track program now where you can download maps of famous race tracks, or your local one, and then overlay your last lap data over it. including all that data i mentioned before.)

4. punter macrumors 6502

pedometer

i would like a cheap app to count the number of steps i take in a day. I *could* buy a $20 pedometer, or my iphone could rack up yet another purpose!

5. zmit thread starter macrumors regular

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Telemetry. Knew the word would come to me eventually:

Telemetry is a technology that allows the remote measurement and reporting of information of interest to the system designer or operator. The word is derived from Greek roots tele = remote, and metron = measure.

From wiki at a quick glance, what would fit:

With GPS, the iPhone could become a great area marker/ geo-marker/geo-cache game product/geo...

I wonder if with a bolt on, the iPHone could read RFID tags...

7. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I work in the Automatic Identification industry. With the SDK, the technology would be there to read RFID, the issue is the demand isn't.

The biggest issue with RFID today is that the tag itself costs too much.

Barcoding is WAY cheaper and just as, if not more effective. Readers are reasonably inexpensive, but the tags are not. What good is a reader if you aren't tagging your product.

It would be an easy thing to create a software program to capture the read data from either a barcode scanner or an RFID reader though.

Symbol makes them for Windows mobile devices currently.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

So throw an image recognition program and make it a barcode scanner?

As an aside - i'm hoping scrub feature on videos gets the touch makeover - imagine being able to slow or speed up a movie using the power of touch. Well I am anyway :)

9. isimon1207 macrumors member

step/distance counter app

It seems to me that an app could easily be created using the accelerometer to act as a distance/steps counter. You could easily study how the accelerometer works when walking and have a counter calculating distance. I would create it myself but 1) I do not have an iphone(yet!) and 2)I cannot write code.

10. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I think I already saw one of these apps via installer.app

11. jsgrabo macrumors regular