Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it ok for your internet to stop working multiple times per day>

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 96.7%

• Total voters

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Our internet with AT&T keeps going out randomly, and it's always while someone is using it. I told my dad, and he said "That's perfectly acceptable. At least it doesn't go out more. Go find something else to do." What really sucks is that it always dies while someone is using it, and it's happened a few times while I was working on homework.

So, the question is: Is this "acceptable" to you?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Umm...no. If you're paying for 24-hour always on internet that's what you should have.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Is it acceptable for telephone service to go out 4 times per day? If you can answer this, you have a pretty good idea how I feel about internet access.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Every time my cable internet goes out, I'm on the phone with Charter in a heart beat. I thought 4 times in a month was unacceptable.

zane

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
because with my imac and other intel macs when they sleep they will sometimes lose connection with the internet

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
No.

It's at the center of my work, play, and communication. I literally can't get by without it, since I wouldn't even be able to download course work from professors, and even if I could, it would be more than an inconvenience for me to have to waste my cell phone minutes instead of using Skype.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
zane said:
are you using an intel mac

No. It doesn't work on my Mac or any of our PCs. It just went out again. I'm gonna talk to my dad about switching. This is so frickin annoying.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Is there a program that will let me see at what times it goes out? I don't use the Internet at home during the day, so it could go out then too. I need to prove that it's a problem to my dad because he hasn't noticed.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
In an era where home internet access often constitutes work internet access, those types of outages transcend unacceptable -- they're bad business that cause bad business.

I had Time Warner while living in NY a few years ago and had similar problems. We have Comcast now, and while the service is ok, there are still far too many outages.

If I could choose my provider, I'd choose Charter -- our year with them was just about flawless.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I wouldn't let that stand.

We have Adelphia (Comcast??) and i'm going to say it goes out 1 to 2 times/month. It isn't that bad, but I wish that it wouldn't go out at all.:eek:

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Similar thing happened to me on Road Runner. And it was odd because I've had broadband for years and never had a problem then like 8-12 times a day the cable would randomly die out for a few seconds (sometimes longer) then reconnect itself.

I had technicians replace every wire in the house, as well as the wire going to the outside line and still had problems. 4 technicians came in to do diagnostics and they all said it was 100% working. Oh wait, one braniac suggested that if I get more ram that would fix the problem. But he doesn't own a computer he just heard about that from a lot of people. Great Time Warner tech staff. So finally they told me there was nothing they could do and for 6-8 months I had a broadband service that would continually disconnect.

Finally I asked them (for the 10th time) to just let me exchange my cable modem even if the tech guys say it's fine. I went to the office personally and got a new one. And yeah... internet is fine once again. So I guess my point in all this is... maybe it's the modem? :confused: :)

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
'Acceptable to go out 4 times a day?", mate if my connection goes down to just 1Mbp, I'm complaining to them, if it went off as it did once, then I would just go mental!

Seriously it's unacceptable!

Cheers

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I paid my money that means I don't want it to go out at all. Next time tell them you are deducting off time and see if they wouldn't laugh at you plus turn off your service..the point is its not acceptable.

Bless

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
mikes63737 said:
Is there a program that will let me see at what times it goes out? I don't use the Internet at home during the day, so it could go out then too. I need to prove that it's a problem to my dad because he hasn't noticed.
You can see if your router has logging built in. Some keep track of connections, a few also let you send a more permanent log to a connected PC.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I feel your pain. I've had Qwest DSL for two years now, but during the first year it was knocked out for like 3 days in my area every time a thunderstorm hit. The only good news is that we didn't pay a single month that it went down for more than a day or so(we didn't sign any long-term contracts, so we just threatened to terminate service if they didn't credit those months to us).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.