Accessing iPhones without itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tech198, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all

While most phones connect to the computer via direct connection (usb typically "a data cable") an iPhone only has the 30-pin dock connector and I haven't tried this with it as yet, but can the iPhone 4S be used with windows based apps ?

Etc. in a business with SMS software or for that matter, any windows program software that can detect a phone, can/will be this be ok on the iPhone ? as its not a data connection, so to speak it is. Or is it just retracted to iTunes only ?

If i had an iPhone myself i would try, but getting one in a few days, so thought i'd ask beforehand.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not aware of any apps that integrate in this way with iPhone, at least not with jailbreak. It's basically the way Apple's ecosystem works. Locked down, presumably for security.

3. silver8ack macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's Apples way or the high way.

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

When you connect the iPhone to a Win machine, you can browse it, so to speak. Windows "sees" the iPhone as a digital camera. You can drag and drop from it but I don't know of any software interface like you're describing.