Accessing OLD files from an Iomega Jaz Drive on my current Yosemite-running Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 12figureitout, May 4, 2015.

1. 12figureitout macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on how I can get my iMac (running OS 10.10.3) to recognize an old 1997 Jaz drive so I can attempt to access some old MS Word files? I have a USB adapter that allows me to connect it physically. I just need the proper drivers, etc. to be able to get this old and new equipment to communicate.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Have you connected it via USB? It should be seen as any other USB drive in Finder.

3. JackRoch macrumors member

Anything here of any help? http://bit.ly/1R7Hwbk

4. qb7 macrumors newbie

Were you ever able to get the Jaz to work? I'm trying to check over 25 Jaz cartridges before I get rid of them. I've got the Microtech USB / SCSI converter and my MacPro shows it in System Profile.

But nothing I do makes any of the cartridges show un the Finder or Disk Utility.

MacPro late 2013 with El Cap - 10.11.02

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

The question is what was the original computer and operating system used to connect the drive. Recall that Windows was at that time either 16 or 32 bit and Mac's operating system too, was quite different.

If DOS/Windows was used, then you might be able to use a virtual DOS or Windows and install the drivers required. As for Mac, I admit I didn't use Mac then and don't even know if proper software/drivers and Rosetta would work.