Accessing photos on a mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarqueeK, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MarqueeK macrumors member

Sep 26, 2009
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes.
    I've got 30GB+ worth of photos which I have taken over the years using my iPhone and Digital Camera stored up on my mac at home.
    By syncing all the photo folders to my 64GB iPhone I was able to carry around my entire collection with me but recently I've finally started running into space issues (The other half being filled with apps and music).
    Of course, I can just be selective and choose only the photo folders I want with me.
    But I was wondering if there's a good way of doing away with photos on local storage altogether and access the photos on my mac on a need basis (obviously assuming that I have 3G or Wifi connection).
    I don't want to use online storage, rather I'm looking for an app that would allow to me get access to files on my mac without it being a full-blown remote desktop app like TeamView or Splashtop.
  2. negrohero9 macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2012
    i use to have this same problem until i got the dropbox app and stored all my pictures in there on a private folder that isnt visible to anyone. but dropbox is techinically considered online storage.
  3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

Jun 12, 2012
    without using some kind of "online" service like dropbox or photostream I don't think you can do what you are looking for.
  4. auero macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Dropbox, Picasa or photobucket might be your only options. Do you have a lot of photos or are they just very high resolution? I understand you want to keep them all but it's worth considering if you need to have them on you at all times? I used to do this with music until I realized I never listen to a 10th of my library. I used to carry all my photos with me as well but then I became paranoid of losing my phone. Even with a lock, it was possible to access the photos at one stage of iOS. I don't doubt there still is a way.

I'm disappointed Apple didn't include a larger size iPhone this time around. I have a lot of lossless audio so my 64gb disappears quick.
  5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sep 16, 2010
    Ky Close to CinCinnati
    If you are willing to jump through a few hoops you could use something like this.

It is wireless local storage that is small and very portable.
  6. MarqueeK thread starter macrumors member

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks for the responses

Sincere thanks to all who responded!
    I guess there's no simple fix for this. I did consider going for an online storage solution but with 30GB+ (and growing) of high resolution pictures I know it's beyond any free account. In the end I just decided to be more selective about which pictures to take with me.
    A little bit surprised that there are plenty of Remote desktop apps but very little in terms of accessing files using a simple interface.