Accidentally broke my MacBook pro’s key letter :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seeforyourself, Sep 26, 2018.

1. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

Hey guys! So I own a 2017 3.1ghz i7 MacBook Pro that was a little bit over $4,000 when I bought it. I’ve had it for 6 months and I started to experience the sticky gets and non responding key stoke issue.

I never ate anything crumby around my MacBook pro which made me confused to why this would happen.

I went on forums and it said to use an air can which I did. Unfortunately I accidently did a little too much air too close to the “A” key and i broke half of the key. Now the bottom half flaps around (half hanging on with half of the clip). Will I be charged $350 for this accidental damage? I think it’s ridiculous in the first place that I have to use an air can to get my keyboard working again in be first place...

I called to make an appointment and the girl who answered made me sound like a total idiot to why I would do that which made me pretty upset. Then it transferred to man who told me to bring an external hard drive with me to my appointment later today which is strange...

This is the Apple store on 5th avenue in Manhattan...

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

How did you break a key with a compressed air can? Did you jam the plastic nozzle between or under them? Surely not just the air pressure should break a key, short of maybe a 4500 psi high speed compressor? Air pressure from a can shouldn’t do that.

3. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

Pangalactic

Unless you have apple care yes. They can't repair one single key, they have to replace the whole top part of the laptop. That's Apple for you, what can you do

4. seeforyourself, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

That’s what I was thinking! I’m thinking maybe it was already defective. I do game on this thing and sometimes I do press down a little firmly, but I don’t think that alone would break it...

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The 2017 MBPro's had a lot of problems. The keyboard will have to be replaced along with the whole top.

6. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Good news for you!!

First things first, avoid that packed mess that is the 5th avenue store like the plague. Try WTC. Or Grand Central. Or literally any other store.

Anyway: Apple's repair program covers accidental damage caused by attempted, unsuccessful keyboard repair.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

For reference: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/get-free-repair-macbook-pro-keyboard-from-apple/

7. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I don't know. I tend to mash keys at times too and haven't broken one... yet. But as far as the compressed air goes, if that is what broke it, that is one super thin and fragile key or one hell of an air can.

8. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

So guys, I wanted to update you. I got my laptops top case replaced and a whole new keyboard. Unfortunately, my F key is very stiff on the right side, so if I hit the key, it doesn't register unless I hit hit the left side of it. I am going to bring it back and complain.

Also when the computer is hot, the Y key is very loud.

9. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I saw a post from somebody in the butterfly keyboard thread that mentioned heat being an issue with these new keyboards, causing them to warp when hot or something. I kinda hoped that something like that wasn’t actually true, but maybe it is the case. <sigh>

10. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Wonder how the membrane holds up to the heat in the 3rd gen... Long term might it need some repair?

11. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I am not sure that heat and the silicone barrier are a problem. I believe silicone can be used indefinitely in the range of 150-200C and for short bursts up to about 400C.

I believe what the poster who commented about the heat was saying is that if warps the backplate on the keyboard, at least temporarily. I think that is thin aluminum. I would have to find it again.