Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manfrominternet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Los Angeles
This isn't as simple as it sounds, so let me give you a little backstory:

1.) I accidentally deleted all of my best friend's texts. Instead of selecting the individual texts I wanted to delete and pressing the trash bin, I ended up stupidly hitting "clear all" and deleted all of them. :(

2.) I thought I could use one of the backups on my iTunes (I don't use iCloud, for I am too poor), but when I tried to restore my iPhone to it, my old black Macbook gave me an error message saying that there was too much room being used on my iPhone 5, and to delete some things before using said backup.

3.) That said, with my iPhone (iPhone 5) plugged into my old black Macbook (10.7, Lion), I started to remove music albums on my iPhone via iTunes to make room.

4.) I then hit "sync' on iTunes, which was my fatal flaw. It sure enough synced, but then apparently supplanted the backup I made a the day before (the one that had all those missing texts) and made a new backup, with one which had all of my friend's old texts all deleted. So when I look at the "Device Backups" though iTunes' preferences menu, I have a backup dated 10/30/16 (the new bastard backup that doesn't have my friend's texts) and the one before that is like 9/24/14 - 2 years earlier! What happened to the many backups I made in between? Or, specifically, the one I made a day earlier on 10/29/16? Is it hiding in a root folder deep inside my Macbook? Can I restore it? I tried to find the backup that was created the day before in a root folder, but I'm not sure where to find it. It seems like the new iPhone backup just deleted the one that I made a day earlier. Now I'm stuck and not really sure how I can retrieve these texts.

Do any of you have any ideas of how I should retrieve those missing texts?

Also, would this work?: I was thinking of using the Time Machine hard drive I sometimes connect my computer to (the last backup I made was on July 30th), put my computer to that backup date, use that iTunes to restore my iPhone to July 30th (meaning, of course, I'd lose all the texts from then until now). Was wondering if you guys know a better way.

Much, much thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.