accidently deleted the folder with my name in the places section in finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I was trying to open this folder when I was opening a document in photoshop, I am using a wacom tablet pen instead of a mouse, & I clicked on the folder with my name from the places section in finder, & it dissapperard in a little cloud icon. I cant find it, & am afraid I messed something up really badly. I think it is the folder with the home icon & my name.

i have noticed other odd performance glitches, when ever I try to open a new tab in firefox, it opens in a new window instead of a new tab, as in the preferences i have it to open in a new tab.

Also, my mac is running a bit slow as well.

I ran a disk repair permissions about a week ago, & it helped a little but now it is acting weird again.

I am on a mid 2010 i7 macbook pro running snow leopard 10.6.8

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

You could try searching for your name using Spotlight (the little magnifying glass in the top right of the screen) and seeing if it shows up. Otherwise, as suggested, you might want to restore using a backup, if you can.

4. simsaladimbamba

Since the Sidebar, the red place on the left, is just a placeholder for shortcuts and not an actual place to store files, you can easily restore items to it by dragging them there. You can access your home folder, the one you are looking for, via CMD+SHIFT+H and dragging it onto there can be achieved by going one folder up (to the Users / folder) via CMD+ArrowUp).
    [​IMG]
    If you want a more visual representation:

Have you tried deleting "com.mozilla.firefox.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Repairing disk permissions is not a way to solve all problems. How is it acting weird?

And I may have posted this already, but you may still learn something from it:
    To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips, I found a .org.mozilla, but not .com.mozilla

6. simsaladimbamba

Then use that. I probably have misremembered the correct file name.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found the command for the homefolder, found it & brought it back to the places in the finder side bar. thanks for the tip for this.

My mac has acted a little weird in that finder froze, I could not click on the face icon & launch it, I opened spaces, but could not get a window to open when I normally click on it & it makes it a blue outline & opens that window. I also tried to click on a folder in finder, & it did nothing, it seemed to bounce my click off. After a reboot, everything seemed normal. I have had finder act odd before, while trying to open a folder from the photoshop dialog box, I tried to click a folder a photo was in, but it would not highlight blue & open.

Firefox has been running a bit slow as well.

another instance a while back was when I looked in finder, the tool icons like delete & copy etc, that were normally in the top bar, were gone, in place were odd cross symbols where the icons normally are. I rebooted my mac & then the icons were back like normal.It has not done this in a while.

I have opened activity monitor, but being not as familiar with mac apps & processes, I dont want to quit an app that could be a crucial system file, how do I determine which apps or processes that are safe to quit in activity monitor? so I dont delete something important.

when I went in to delete the .plist file for firefox, I notice there is one for alot of other things, what are they?