According to AT&T, Apple is Dictating the New Upgrade Eligibility Details

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glide, Jun 18, 2009.

1. glide macrumors regular

Just got off the phone with an AT&T Premier rep (so take this for what its worth)

They said the new upgrade eligibility for users who upgraded to 3G last June-Aug and spend $99 a month on their bill is coming straight from Apple.

I, of course, asked how apple is dictating policy since they are not a carrier. I was then told it was part of their contract with AT&T, and that any AT&T rep who deviates from this arrangement will be terminated.

Oh - and the phone I pre-ordered from ATT on the 11th is back ordered for 2 weeks. Class act....

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Just sounds like passing the buck of responsibility to me, not anything legitimate.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It is plausible that Apple has some control over this. Although if true it means Apple is probably taking less per phone to make this happen.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

2 weeks? Just cancel your order and pick it one up from Apple.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd be surprised that apple would be dictating what level of rebating current owners would be getting. Either way, they're getting the same amount. Its ATT that stands to lose some money by offering the 3Gs for less money to existing customers.

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

LOL. Apple is telling ATT not to let all 3G owners upgrade? That's priceless. If Apple did anything, it's convincing ATT to extend the eligibility window out three months is a good idea.

8. Kevlar macrumors 6502

This is right on the head. Apple gets so much money flat out per phone they sell to AT&T. AT&T sells these phones at a lesser rate, and makes up the difference in the contracts people are forced to sign to get a discounted rate for the phone. Apple probably couldn't care less when AT&T allows their users to upgrade their phones, they would probably want the option to upgrade more often.

9. cjandnw macrumors 6502

The prices were flexed because the anticipated preordering and hype is much less than the last tw0o releases. Apple set a goal to sell 1/2 millions phones this weekend.
    They cannot have egg on their face, only apple.

10. Almy macrumors 6502

That's a scripted response they're using for a lot of things right now. An AT&T rep told me a couple days ago that apple dictates they require a data plan on any iPhone no longer under contract, yeah right :).