According to DHS "US veterans are Terror Threats"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Apr 17, 2009.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Department of Homeland Security Report

Washington Times article on report

why dont they just go a head and arrest anyone who didnt vote for Obama and get it over with:rolleyes:

2. Queso macrumors G4

The DHS was a bad Bush/Cheney idea in the first place. Time to hear its death rattle.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Your sentiment hits the nail on the head:

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Bit of a misleading title don't you think?

Neither the report or article claim that "all" war veterans are potential threats, only that according to the FBI some soldiers returning from the current wars have joined white supremacist groups.

Psh! :rolleyes:

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

The article does not say that ALL US Veterans are terror threats" All the article says is:

Bolded by me for emphasis, Oklahoma City anyone??

The fact is that some veterans will be disgruntled, and susceptible to being recruited by right wing-extremists/nut jobs, and who knows what they might be up to, we could have another Oaklahoma city or worse. I think it's about time someone realized that these people (right-wing extremists) aren't just crazy, but potential threats.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

lee, it seems to me from reading the report that while there is indeed some legitimate cause for concern, the phrasing is too broad-brushed. It leads people to think that ALL disagreement with government policies is seen as badnasty.

Sure, some kooks spend a lot of time with their misinterpretations of the Constitution. However, just because people discuss the meaning of the Constitution does not make them candidates for extremist groups--but that's implicit in the phrasings of the report.

I can make the same ridiculous comparisons for left-wing extremists, such as we now have within or as friends of the present Administration...

'Rat

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

By all means, feel free. Since the title of this thread is already sensational and misleading, we might as well go completely willy-nilly. Have at it!

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

forgive me i shall change the title. happy?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- there should be no DHS in the first place. And something tells me you supported it when Bush was in office.

10. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I haven't had time to read the full report, though I will say that I understand there is a threat from right wing groups. Who knows when someone is going to blow up an abortion clinic, or try to shoot Obama because they view him in the same light as Hitler. Yes, there is a threat (not sure the actual comparison between the two groups) of radicalism on the far left and we have seen this in the past. However, with some of the signs we saw during the so called "tea parties" I think there is cause for concern. There will always be cause for concern on both sides of the equation.

As far as the Times, owned by our good friend Sun Myung Moon, I didn't need to read the second page of that article.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love how the thread title includes a made up quote :)

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Those pro-life gun collectors sure are extreme! Better watch them Obama admin.. lol

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Obviously a government watches any and all groups that can be a potential "threat" to the safety of it's citizens, but to try and misconstrue it as proof that Pres. Obama is unpatriotic for not supporting our brave boys and girls in Iraq and Afghanistan is disingenuous at best and dangerous at worse.

14. todd2000 macrumors 68000

No, thats worse then the first one, it should say "According to DHS "Right-Wing Extremists may try to recruit disgruntled veterans" which is what the article is saying.

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The report does indicate that the return of veterans, as in the 1990s, may correlate to heightened membership in militias or lone wolf attacks. Without stating explicitly, the intention of the report is to highlight areas of concentration, so that DHS can maximize resource efficacy. The prominence of veterans in this report evidences DHS beliefs that they are a prime recruiting ground.

One danger is that DHS will look to the military as a recruiting ground for right-wingers only. Over the last few decades, we have seen shifts in the "veteran problem." At one time, it was black gangs, hispanic gangs, and white supremacists. Now, it's anti-government factions. Soon, I suspect there will be another group. What DHS needs to remember is that anybody with training in the military will be a prime candidate for someone looking to engage in violence, and that focusing on one area would be dangerous.

Likewise, militias will look more towards the disillusioned than the military. You don't need a lot of people to act as trainers, you need trainees. Rather than the military, I suspect that folks in factory towns are more likely to join these groups, and be more willing to go off half-cocked or lone-wolf than a member of the military who has been trained in methodical warfare. Sure, the vets will be useful if there is a civil war, but not for terrorism.

Now, if Nappy was willing to kill the TSA, I would let her suspect anybody she wanted for anything else. If there is a bigger threat to the mission at DHS than those goons, I have yet to see them. Then, with baby steps, we can dismantle the whole Department.

16. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

And on the flip side, I am sure groups like MoveOn who had peaceful protests during the Bush administration were considered threats. I will agree with Lee, DHS was a terrible idea from the beginning.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Again, my gripe is with the phrasing, creating a sense that disagreement with any government policies is threatening.

A similar logic chain which I see as ridiculous: We know that the rabid tree-huggers put spikes in trees and burn ski lodges. "Earth First" et al. There are sympathizers who could be recruited to join them, quite possibly from among members of the Sierra Club.

Same for animal rights activists, who have bombed research labs and other "abuse" sites. They could readily recruit from PETA and HSUS as well as from the local SPCA.

Since Obama's initiating fund raiser guy bombed the Pentagon, we should keep an eye on liberal university professors--and those whom they befriend!!!.

Ridiculous...

As for the Tea Party people, what was outstanding was the peaceful nature and the multi-faceted, issues-oriented aspect--and taxes per se were a small part of the deal. And the many hundred gatherings were peaceful and non-threatening. That's a helluva lot more than can be said for most Leftist gatherings, such as the recent fun and games in London--or, earlier, in Seattle--which are far more typical of those extremists.

18. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I wouldn't know, because I wasn't in Seattle, London, and certainly didn't attend any so called "tea parties". What I will say, is there is no doubt there was hate filled in the message I saw on many of the signs posted on the internet. Hate against Obama, hate against progressive thinkers, hate against blacks, and hate against the middle east. I find it hard to believe the protests were entirely peaceful judging by the hate I saw written all over the signs; but who knows.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The tea parties were nothing more than klan rallies for people too lazy to put on a white robe and hood.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Really? I thought the point was to protest the current tax-and-spend solution to riding out the recession.

My family and I saw a bunch of these people picketing at a major intersection the other night, and getting TONS of support from drivers (in the form of noisy horn-honking). I'm not altogether sure what they were hoping to accomplish, since they were basically trying to make a statement that (seemingly) everyone around them already agreed with.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What's the difference between honking is support and honking in opposition?

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

One long honk is good, two short honks is bad, and 3 short 3 long 3 short honks means the driver is in trouble.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

:D! That morse honking will come in handy the way I drive :)!

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The drivers and protestors were waving at each other (all five fingers outstretched). That, and if you knew how "red" the political climate is in north Texas.

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

maestro55, what, the signs had two sides for flipping from issue comments to hate comments?

All I saw was signs commenting about this silly bailout of the investment banks and the paper-printing--so-called "stimulus--that's gonna give us inflation like crazy before too much longer. And signs protesting the growing intrusion of federal power.

That's "hatred"? I call BS on that idea. It's totally wrong. This was a grassroots protest deal of working people across the spectrum of ages and occupations. It wasn't a bunch of drones and college kids out to be cool and trying to get laid thereby. Nor was there any violence.