According to Engadget, iPhone may gain use of 4-5 finger gestures.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saving107, Jan 20, 2011.

1. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Other than the screenshot they have posted, they don't give details as to how this appeared on the iPhone (how it is activated) or if this functionality actually works. But still, I thought it would be of interest.

[​IMG]

Looks like the iPad might not have an exclusive on those new "multitasking" gestures unearthed in the latest iOS 4.3 beta, because BGR's got some shots up of an purported internal build that seem to indicate Cupertino intends to push them down to the iPhone line as well. Now, there are a couple of obvious red flags here -- using "four or five fingers" sounds pretty unreasonable for a 3.5-inch display, though it'd certainly tie in with recent rumors that Apple's turning sour on the physical Home button and might indicate that the complete redesign we're hearing about could include a slightly larger display. Of course, it could also indicate that this is really early software with the wrong (read: iPad) wording -- but at any rate, we could definitely see the benefit of, say, a two-finger gesture to swipe between apps.

More...
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/iphone-rumor-two-pack-multitasking-gestures-and-mobileme-photo/

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

They damn well better not require this. That would absolutely eliminate getting to your home screen and using it with one hand. Honestly, on a device this small (that's expected to be used with one hand)... this is the stupidest idea I've ever heard of.

3. jutte64 macrumors regular

why is it such a bad idea? you will still have the home button... and do you really ALWAYS use your iphone with just one hand?? come on now i think, its a pretty neat idea. it does have an on off switch so if you dont want it you can turn it off, and i highly doubt it will prevent the home button from working the way it does now..

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Seeing the gestures in action, they don't make as much sense as they do on the iPad from a practical standpoint.

5. jbro1999 macrumors regular

yeah but its nice to have the option. If you don't like it turn it off. No big deal.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Something with an on/off switch usually isn't required, but I agree, the phone is too small for 4 or 5 finger multitouch.

7. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Don't you guys see, I think this hints at a bigger screen for iPhone 5!!!!!!!

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Or it's for the Apple 7" tablet series that they're secretly working on.

"Yes, I know we said that 7" was bizarre using smartphone apps scaled up, but we didn't say anything against using scaled _down_ tablet apps on a 7" retina display !!" - Tim Cook, future summer 2011 quote

:)

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Wonder how many people will drop their iPhones trying to do 4-5 finger gestures, and demand a new one from Apple.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

not a nice option if they completely remove the home button now is it?

this 4/5 finger swipe is dumb. the home button does everything faster.

multi-task? - i would rather double click and find the app i want instead of swipe for 15 minutes trying to find it.

getting to the home screen - faster hitting the home button, especially if you only have 1 hand available

11. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

yeah this is really dumb on such a small screen

12. jbro1999 macrumors regular

This doesn't say anything about removing the home button. But if assume that, you also have to assume the screen will get bigger.

I disagree. A lot of the time I use mulitaking they are with apps I just used. If they aren't I would go to the homescreen and reopen it.

When are you on your phone and only have one hand available? Ohhhhh never mind :wink:

13. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

+1

That's the only thing that makes sense to me. According to the video of the gestures in action, they look to be awkward and difficult. Maybe this is an indication of a larger screen for the next iPhone.

And it's also an indicator of the iPhone coming to Sprint and T-mobile. :D

14. nicholasfukuoka macrumors member

Plus the guy in the video is doing it kind of awkwardly. Why is he holding his arm sideways? Wouldn't it make more sense to hold your hand flat and swiping your fingers side to side the normal way, as if you're sliding a page in a book?

15. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Adding an inch or less to the phone isn't going to make it easier. This should only be added to the ipad

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

How big are we exactly talking about?

17. nicholasfukuoka macrumors member

Check out my iPhone 5 concept thread *wink*

18. andrewr2123 macrumors member

19. nicholasfukuoka macrumors member

Perhaps - it will be iOS5 when the iPhone comes out though.

20. saving107 thread starter macrumors 603

saving107

It was said yesterday that these gestures won't be in the final version of iOS 4.3, they are there just to gather developer feedback. But the screenshot posted above is not even in the iPhone beta release, those are internal builds that are being tested inside of Apple.

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

If they are going to add 4/5 finger gestures to the iPhone as well as remove the home button, I will be giving Apple my own 1 finger gesture.

Now, if they are going to ADD 4/5 finger gestures and KEEP the home button, I'm all for it. The phones screen is too small to comfortably use 4/5 finger gestures. I would feel and look like a retard going down the street swiping my phone like I am trying to part the red sea.

22. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Actually there's a credible rumor that Steve's aware of how popular the current screen size is.

Amongst hard core Apple enthusiasts the feeling is a 3.0"'screen would be even better for the younger customers & throngs of female customers. They would also slip easily into a mans pockets.

With all the hate here for 4" displays, Steves going to show everyone the advantages of downsizing to a 3.0" display. More money for Apple, less screen to clean, everyone wins.

How exciting.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5 finger gestures on a phone?... come on now

Engadget has become completely ridiculous lately. :cool:

24. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

if the Screen Gets bigger and the phone becomes longer I'll buy an iPhone 4 32GB

25. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Why not three fingers? I can understand 2 fingers but why not three fingers?