According to Politico, Hillary's running for Prez again. Has hope returned for the Democrats?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Feb 13, 2017.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

In those priceless words of John Oliver: Do it!

[​IMG]

Hillary Clinton will run for president. Again.

No inside information informs this prediction. No argument is advanced as to whether her run is a good or a bad idea—there are many ways to make a case either way. Instead this is just a statement of simple facts (if facts mean anything anymore, that is). And the facts are clear that the former secretary of state is doing everything she needs to do to run for the White House one more time. If she finds a path to do so, she will take it. And I can prove it.
    I'm sure all Leftists are thrilled at the prospect.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Nobody wants her, or the corporate democrats. This is the political equivalent of a trial balloon while not realizing you're actually pissing in the wind.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering a large part of the author's argument rests on Clinton following her word about wrapping up operations at the CGI I don't think it's too much of a sign that she is going to try again. I don't know why she made that promise (and it is possible it was with an eye to trying again) but I think it mostly just shows that she is relitively honest for a politician and she keeps her word.

That said if she were to try running again I would be sure to register as a democrat to vote against her in the primary. I think she would have made a good president, but she is so hated that she is the one person that could make Trump a 2 term president. Most of the Republicans I know hated Trump, but they hated Clinton a bit more so still voted for him. Against anyone else many of them won't support Trump in 4 years, but if Clinton runs again that hatered for her won't go away.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

She won't run. And I don't think she'd win. And I think she's smart enough to know that.

5. zin macrumors 6502

I'll make travel arrangements to be present at Donald Trump's second inauguration.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sorry, the U.K. will be on the list of places travel is banned from by then. Your best bet is to get to Canada and sneak in before the Northern wall is completed.

To the potential of Hillary running again, that ship has sailed. Just say no.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

democrats will start beating the "she won the popular vote" blah blah blah over & over & over until they make the rest believe in it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    what if trump is impeached? would you still vote against her? anyways WHO would "run" against her? the DNC will "select" whomever the DNC wants just to keep appearances .

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

9. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I don't think Trump will run for a 2nd term even if cough, cough he does a good job. The reason I think this is that in a couple of interviews (especially after he won) that he kind of gave that impression to me. The way he stressed what he wants to accomplish in the next 4 years, running for president was harder than he thought it was and that he even said that he was surprised that he won. It's almost a certainty that Trump will not run if people are still protesting like they are now. It would be like LBJ because of the Vietnam War when he saw there would be practically no way he could win a 2nd term.

As for Clinton I don't think she have enough political backers ($$$) to make another run for the presidency, for a lot of them won't be on the same horse 3 times in a row (figuratively speaking). Though I think that nut job Elizabeth Warren is probably going to take her place.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I doubt Hillary runs or even wins the nomination again. My question is what republican challenges Trump in 2020.

11. zin macrumors 6502

He has already filed his candidacy form with the FEC.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Depends on who is running against her in the general election if she gets that far. In the primary I definitely would vote against her, and I'd bet that most other democrats would vote against her as well.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Probably the most insightful comment I've read all day.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's primarily so he can keep the money coming in and redirect it to his businesses. There's nothing to stop him from suspending his campaign in a year or two.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

based on the fact they did not care what was done to Bernie I think you would be wrong. voting against her would be "irrelevant" if she gets all the Super delegates and the DNC puts up worthless "choices" against her.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is too much revolt in the DNC to try again with Hillary. I can see Biden making a run or a dark horse.

17. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Good. I want her to FEEL THE BERN (2020) when she realizes that real Democrats don't want her.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If Clinton is the nominee in 2020, you might as well. That's a good as the Democratic Party conceding the election.

If she couldn't beat Trump this year, how on earth does anyone imagine she could beat him as an incumbent? o_O

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

there is a ton of backlash to what trump is doing.......

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Bernie lost most of the votes, and the majority of pledged delegates. Yes the super delegates mostly went along with the majority's choice and voted for Clinton, but that wasn't the DNC rigging things.

Bernie had no chance because the US is a center-right country as a whole, and he was too far left for most people. Even in the Democratic Party most people aren't very far left.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he had my vote :(

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, it's all about economics. If there was an absolute crashing economy where millions were losing jobs under Trump all of a sudden, then he might have an uphill battle of his own to face. With incumbency comes a record and potential for liabilities.

That being said I don't think Hillary running again is a good idea at all.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

I would love to see Ivanka run against her father on the Democrat ticket. I'd love to see those debates. Never happen - but it would be extremely amusing.

24. BeeGood, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Understood, but he's basically doing what he said he was going to do during the campaign. He's the same loudmouth, petty and insecure man that he was before the election. The people that voted for him can't possibly be surprised by any of this.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    True. If something that devastating happens during his first term, his incumbency will be a liability, but so far (Really stressing "so far") he hasn't done anything that I view as long-term disasterous. Stupid? Yeah probably, but nothing world changing.

So far.

25. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

FYI, Berine is (still!) not a Democrat.