Accounting for the Space taken on my new MBA

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michellemixue, Sep 2, 2014.

1. michellemixue macrumors newbie

Hi, i've been using the mbp for 3.5yrs so far but pretty clueless. i spent weeks deleting photos (via iphotos) on my old macbook pro before cloning the whole hard disk onto a external hdd. I didn't want to use migration assistant and carry inherent problems over to my mba. Was hoping for some control over the space issue although i have 512gb of ssd on my new laptop. don't want clutter. Decided to only transfer my iphoto, itunes and placed all my documents on dropbox.

So far, i only have my dropbox synced on my new laptop plus my iphoto library i dragged over from my external hdd to replace the iphoto library on it. iphoto should be 90gb worth (when i check on my old laptop using right click, get info), dropbox about 3gb.

Can anybody tell me why when i go to "about this mac>>Storage" on the new mba, i have 1gb of audio, 19.92gb of movies, 70.78gb of photos, 19.67gb of OTHERS?

is the 19.92gb of movies the video files i have on my iphoto?

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter. Your response is appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, any videos on the machine get counted in that total. Even with a new machine and no videos or music/photos added there will be some data in those categories as the OS itself contains all three of those file types.

When you look at that graphic, "Other" is essentially everything that does not fall into one of the other categories, such as the OS itself.

I think you are in good shape.

4. michellemixue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I will continue to clear my iphoto as much as i can even on this new machine. :)